Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Odessa and oden

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you. I will also be leaving core cat food out as well. If I use what your talking about can I still do that ?
No don't leave other food out.

Raw food can't sit out because it spoils. If they don't eat it in 30-45 minutes max (mine eat in under 5 minutes) you need to pick it up and throw it away. Therefore you need the cats to be hungry when you put the food down. They can't be grazing on kibble because then they won't be hungry.

Also raw food digests at a very fast rate. Kibble digests very slowly. If you mix them up, the body gets confused. If the body digests the raw food slow because it thinks it's kibble, then the bacteria sits in the cat's gut. You don't want this.

Basically raw food needs to be consumed while it's fresh. They digest it, and poop it out in 2-3 hours.

I used to think cats were grazers and had to eat throughout the day but it's just not true. Maybe that's what food companies want us to think? Anyway now I give them meals, they eat it right away and we're done.

Last edited:

Mackenzie l

Lairian
No don't leave other food out.

Raw food can't sit out because it spoils. If they don't eat it in 30-45 minutes max (mine eat in under 5 minutes) you need to pick it up and throw it away. Therefore you need the cats to be hungry when you put the food down. They can't be grazing on kibble because then they won't be hungry.

Also raw food digests at a very fast rate. Kibble digests very slowly. If you mix them up, the body gets confused. If the body digests the raw food slow because it thinks it's kibble, then the bacteria sits in the cat's gut. You don't want this.

Basically raw food needs to be consumed while it's fresh. They digest it, and poop it out in 2-3 hours.

I used to think cats were grazers and had to eat throughout the day but it's just not true. Maybe that's what food companies want us to think? Anyway now I give them meals, they eat it right away and we're done.
Ok, the breeder said they eat raw food in the am and PM and kibble out during the day. But I can take the kibble away.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok, the breeder said they eat raw food in the am and PM and kibble out during the day. But I can take the kibble away.
So what the breeder must be doing and you can do this too is:

Feed them raw in the am. Wait 2-3 hours after you give them raw food, and then put kibble out. By now the raw food has moved out of their system.

Take the kibble away again at least 4 hours before you give them more raw food. This way they should be hungry and eat the raw.

Basically you can feed both raw and kibble BUT not together; you have to split them out so they're not both in the gut at the same time. If you work you can use a timed feeder that pops up at a preset time for the kibble in the middle of the day. If you leave just enough kibble for them to get one meal out of it they will be ready for raw again that evening.

Last edited:

Mackenzie l

Lairian
So what the breeder must be doing and you can do this too is:

Feed them raw in the am. Wait 2-3 hours after you give them raw food, and then put kibble out. By now the raw food has moved out of their system.

Take the kibble away again at least 4 hours before you give them more raw food. This way they should be hungry and eat the raw.

Basically you can feed both raw and kibble BUT not together; you have to split them out so they're not both in the gut at the same time. If you work you can use a timed feeder that pops up at a preset time for the kibble in the middle of the day.
Ok sounds good. This raw food seems difficult. But I want them happy healthy

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok sounds good. This raw food seems difficult. But I want them happy healthy
Raw food is more work than kibble for sure but most of the work is when you grind your own food and you have to mix all the different ingredients. The more work you put in the less it costs in money, but you pay with your time :unsure: Honestly I think it's a good idea to start with a grind like I suggested and then build your way up from there. It's very easy when you start like this.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I want to suggest another raw food company. HareToday @ Home Page | Hare Today has great product. They sell Alnutrin to go with the grinds. 1scoop per pound of meat makes it easy. I also always added fish oil at 3 pumps per pound of meat and they sell this as well.

I would portion about 3 oz in a snack sized ziploc baggie, press the air out and flatten the baggie. Then I freeze them. This way, you just grab a single bag from the freezer and float it in hot water for about 10 minutes and then serve. It really becomes easy after you do it a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
FYI guys, you can buy Alnutrin directly from the maker. The package has the exact directions to make cat food.
Know What You Feed Your Cat - Shop Online

If you don't know how much your cat is going to eat, it's easier to put 8 ounces of food in your container or bag or whatever you decide to use. Serve them as much as they will eat in one sitting. The rest of it you can put back in the fridge and just use it up within 2 days.

Last edited:

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Sheldon13 I also like Hare Today but regrettably their grinds have had too high bone content. I saw that now that Tracy's daughter Ashlee took over she is making grinds that are 90-10-10.....I mean they just started this year. Raw Feeding Miami has had 90-10-10 grinds all along. It's not a problem for people that know they have to dilute the bone with more boneless meat but for a beginner I take the safe road and recommend the one that comes in the right blend. The other thing is Hare Today is on the pricey side for everything except rabbit. I can get chicken and turkey cheaper in other places, even my local butcher.

For rabbit I do recommend Hare Today; that's their specialty and they are actually cheaper than others. I recommend a 50/50 mix of whole carcass and "deskinned" ground rabbit; it dilutes the bone content, provides fiber, and lowers the price.

My 2 cents.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One more suggestion regarding omega 3 - instead of buying the oil, if you buy fish (which you can even buy already ground) it will save you money.

This is because if you squirt oil in the food you are not getting more VOLUME of food. You did pay for the oil however. It's added cost for the same amount of food.

If you buy actual fish, you get food. You can feed your cats a little less rabbit or chicken or whatever else because they are getting fish. And the fish costs less so it lowers the average cost. Just plan fish oil adds to the cost.