Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Odo needs prayers

MereB

Lairian
We're expecting a new kitten to join our little family at the end of the month, a black boy my Hubby has named Odo.
He's had a rough start to life :(:(:(
He was supplement fed from a little over a week old because mum didn't have enough milk. At about 4 weeks (start of September) his mum was almost dead in her bed one morning and the vet found some retained afterbirth so that was dealt with and she bounced back but couldn't feed kittens at all afterwards because of the drugs and infection in her system that claimed 1 of her 4 kittens a day later.
We though all was good after that and went to meet our boy back on September 12th when he was 5 weeks.
Breeder was feeding them 4 hourly for a few weeks until they started eating solids on their own.

12 days ago mum crashed again. The vet worked on her for an hour but unfortunately she passed away :cry:

An autopsy was done and he found that her uterus had perforated and she had the remains of an under developed fetus just outside the uterus. It was decayed to the point that it had basically poisoned her whole body and was in a position that the ultra sound just could not have picked it up lying behind her liver. Immediately the vet feared for the three remaining babies having lived in such an environment. He put them on antibiotics as a precaution and sent them home. The next day we lost the little girl. We think she just missed her mum. The breeder immediately took the two boys back to the vet and he has them in ICU on a drip, intra nasal feeding tubes and 24 hour monitoring. So far so good and our breeder is there with them for comfort up to 10 hours a day.
Obviously being at the vet all day and having a house to run, job to do and hubby away it's been difficult for regular communication and we haven't heard anything for the last few days which is probably a good thing really and I'm choosing to believe that means all is going well. Hubby is going to text her in the morning and see how she's doing with the kittens.

If you could spare a though and prayer that Odo and his last remaining brother come through this healthy I'd really appreciate it.
Odo is the 2nd kitten hubby has fallen for from this breeder and after the first one turned out to have been born with a fatal liver defect I couldn't stand for him to have to go through losing a 2nd one :cry:

Thank you,
Mere.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sending healing vibes for your boy Odo and his brother!

I hope you and your husband receive a positive update on the two little guys today! <3

Toa and Ross

Staff member
All fingers and paws crossed for Odo and his brother. Sending lots of healing vibes, they just need to make it!! Hope you hear from the breeder soon.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MereB oh my what a horrible thing to have happened to mama sphynx and a few of her kittens. I am sending positive vibes and prayers that Odo and his brother get through this with flying colors. All the best. Hugs.

haveahome4sfinx

Lairian
i have found this recently for myself because it spoke to me; know i am with you in support of positive things happening, and i hope this helps:
'Worry looks around, sorry looks back, Faith looks up.'
Have faith.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh dear, what a difficult start to their young lives. I'm sorry the mummy passed away. Hopefully things improve quickly and you have your new baby home with you all healthy and happy in the near future.

MereB

Lairian
Thank you all.
As of yesterday not much has really changed. The two boys were still at the vet in the ICU, still have their nasal feeding tubes and are still being comforted by the breeder during the vets opening hours. She was going to send us a more detailed email as soon as she gets a few minutes.
So at this stage we are still taking it a day at a time with them :(

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MereB this is so upsetting for me to hear and I can imagine how you and hubby feel. :( It's a terrible situation and I'm sending good vibes and BIG hugs.

MereB

Lairian
From the breeder today, because I just cant right now. :cry::cry::bigtears:
"Well after almost three weeks of traveling daily including the weekends yesterday we finally had to say goodbye to our precious babies and watch them grow their wings. It was so devastating after all the ups and downs, moments when we thought we were on a winner and then there were the down times. To explain further:
Evelyn retained either some afterbirth or part of what may have been a further fetus. This became very infected probably even before the babies were born so their environment that they were living and growing in was not good resulting in Evelyn contracting Strep G( although we had no idea). This is a very nasty infection. Looking back and in hindsight I thought it strange that there was a size difference between the babies, more than usual and also that from two weeks of age I was having to feed them. If only I had known or Evelyn could have spoken to me and told me just how unwell she was. Evelyn passed very quickly as did her little girl.
What eventuated was the kittens all had Strep G from birth. As soon as we realized that things were not as they should be they were admitted to ICU, put on fluids, antibiotics and tube fed. They were swabbed and that was when the lab confirmed Dr A's worst fears, Strep G, very hard to treat let alone on such small babies.
The days came and went and they had many ups and downs but the worst day was when fluid started to build up in their lungs. Dr A put a lung drain in their chests and we syringes the fluid off when their breathing became laboured. This was when they started to go downhill.
We were talking about having to make the worst decision of our lives but they decided to make it for us.
We have learned so much from this so their little lives were not in vain. Dr A was wonderful and he did so much. He is now writing a paper on this for future reference.
They are now being cremated with their mum and sister.
I have come home to some happy news. Akira's mum is pregnant and so is Miyo both to Mandela."

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers I guess this one just wasn't meant to be.
On the up side Akira could potentially have a full brother/sister early next year depending on what colours come from their breeding this time as Hubby seems keen to try for a 3rd time already.
Mere.:(

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh no! My heart breaks for you. I'm so very sorry that the boys didn't make it. Specially after your first loss I wished so hard this boy would make it.

Glad to hear you want to try again, you just deserve extra sphynxlove.

A big hug for you and hubby.

Natasja

Back