Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Officially getting our second sphynx!

TheZu

Lairian
They've stayed very blue!!! Though the breeder thinks he may not be a seal point like she originally thought.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190610-105457_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190610-105457_Gmail.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 32

TheZu

Lairian
Dude came home on July 1st! He's opened up so much in this time, is using his litter box, very friendly and curious. Missy keeps hissing at him though (don't worry, Dude is isolated from her in the bathroom). We are taking the introduction slowly, and we've been scent swapping and site swapping. I'm following the advice read on here as well as the videos from Jackson Galaxy.

I know it's normal, but I still feel bad for my cats. I know we are supposed to keep from having visual contact, but Missy knows Dude is in the bathroom and likes to watch the bathroom door and sometimes tries to get in! It's hard to go in and and out and check on Dude without her sticking her nose in for the brief moments we open the door (in which she uses that time to hiss). Dude also wants to meet Missy! Even though she keeps hissing at him (and he gets a bit scared) later on he's right back at it trying to meet her. At feeding time though, Missy is better. This morning she sniffed noses with him between the crack in ththe door before hissing...that's progress, right?

It also feels like so many people's sphynx bonded moment one. Are there anyone who had slow introductions of hissing cats before they settled down?

Attachments

• 20190702_212612.jpg
    20190702_212612.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 21

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@TheZu What an adorable baby boy! He looks like a blue Lynx point (blue point tabby).

I’ve heard from other sphynx owners that females are more resistant to new cats/kittens than males. Sounds like you’re doing everything slow & steady, which is great! It may take a couple weeks or so, but eventually they will be able to coexist & hopefully be best friends!

TheZu

Lairian
@TheZu What an adorable baby boy! He looks like a blue Lynx point (blue point tabby).

I’ve heard from other sphynx owners that females are more resistant to new cats/kittens than males. Sounds like you’re doing everything slow & steady, which is great! It may take a couple weeks or so, but eventually they will be able to coexist & hopefully be best friends!
Thanks! It's one of those things that I know in my head, but you just want to hear someone say "Yes, it's possible, it's been done."

It was a bit surprising for us because Missy has always been very friendly with other cats and even the neighbors dog, letting them in the house, etc. So we thought she might be more happy with a new friend XD

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TheZu keep up the good work on the slow intros !

I am in the very sloooow intro camp :)
My Toby was a brat.
I actually got a cheap wood plastic baby gate, cable tied it the longest position .

Then I held it in place with my foot at the doorway , watching the little devil from climbing up and over ... tossed treats to each on either side ...

I swapped free roaming ...
I put Toby in my bedroom ( litter box in my master bathroom )
then let new kitty out free roaming with the “safe room “ door left open In case wanted to retreat . Just let kitty go ar own comfort level to come out and explore .

Batman took a week before he would even come out to free roam .

I let new kitty roam free amd played with a Dabird pole toy .
Then I rotated..l I put new kitty in my bedroom for about 10 mins blocks amd carried Toby to the safe room amd closed the door so he could be there alone to sniff around .

It seemed exhausting the first few times . Then it was a routine .

I actually had to harness fresh Toby when I finally built up to having them out together .
I used two Dabird pole toys in living room tossing dry treats amd playing simultaneously with both .
I did this for just a few minutes at a time , watching body language .
If Toby started to be fresh , I put him in my bedroom for a time out .
Played with new kitty for a few minutes more alone . Then back to the safe room.
Amd let Toby back out to free roam .

Phew .... built up At their comfort level amd after a few times took Toby’s harness lead off .

Did this for a few weeks !

End result .... they are best buddies ! Toby is actually very motherly to all paws now

Hang in there ! Here for you ! You are doing great !
Hugs n head smooches !
Following for updates !

TheZu

Lairian
@TheZu keep up the good work on the slow intros !

I am in the very sloooow intro camp :)
My Toby was a brat.
I actually got a cheap wood plastic baby gate, cable tied it the longest position .

Then I held it in place with my foot at the doorway , watching the little devil from climbing up and over ... tossed treats to each on either side ...

I swapped free roaming ...
I put Toby in my bedroom ( litter box in my master bathroom )
then let new kitty out free roaming with the “safe room “ door left open In case wanted to retreat . Just let kitty go ar own comfort level to come out and explore .

Batman took a week before he would even come out to free roam .

I let new kitty roam free amd played with a Dabird pole toy .
Then I rotated..l I put new kitty in my bedroom for about 10 mins blocks amd carried Toby to the safe room amd closed the door so he could be there alone to sniff around .

It seemed exhausting the first few times . Then it was a routine .

I actually had to harness fresh Toby when I finally built up to having them out together .
I used two Dabird pole toys in living room tossing dry treats amd playing simultaneously with both .
I did this for just a few minutes at a time , watching body language .
If Toby started to be fresh , I put him in my bedroom for a time out .
Played with new kitty for a few minutes more alone . Then back to the safe room.
Amd let Toby back out to free roam .

Phew .... built up At their comfort level amd after a few times took Toby’s harness lead off .

Did this for a few weeks !

End result .... they are best buddies ! Toby is actually very motherly to all paws now

Hang in there ! Here for you ! You are doing great !
Hugs n head smooches !
Following for updates !
Thank you so much for this, it's just what I needed to hear.

Back