Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Oh my POOP

Cruellamama

Lairian
Good morning,
My naked little love Cruella seems to be having some really loose poop. This morning it was everywhere. I don't know if she stepped in it before exiting the litter box but it ended up on my bed and all over the floor. Maybe we need an XL litter box? Anyone have suggestions on how to bind her poop up? Right now I have to wipe her butt to make sure the doesn't track poop everywhere. I have only had her for a month, and the previous owner was not faithful on using same brand food (she used whatever was on sale). I had her poop tested on Saturday, just to make sure she doesn't have a parasite or bacteria.. I guess my questions are: What can I do/use to bind poop? What food do you recommend for this beautiful breed?

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can try adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin (not the pie filler stuff) to her food. It should help firm up her stools with the added fiber.

I find pumpkin causes one of mine to puke, so I give slippery elm powder instead. You could also look into giving her a probiotic like fortiflora!

Cruellamama

Lairian
You can try adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin (not the pie filler stuff) to her food. It should help firm up her stools with the added fiber.

I find pumpkin causes one of mine to puke, so I give slippery elm powder instead. You could also look into giving her a probiotic like fortiflora!
Thank you so much. I will be sure to try this.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cruellamama there is a thread in the info center about poop
you will see it mentioned some vets prescribe Flagyl (metronidazole ) and or treat for Giardia in case a false negative test result.
there is also lesser known crypto and tritrichomonas that have been the source of some poo issues..

I have adoptees and when they first came home it can take a little while for tummies to settle to new food routine...
fwiw, hairball formulas can help with poo issues too I believe bcz of the fiber content.
my adoptees are on Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag( no recalls ) prized for gut health, not in stores , I get online.
they also share a bowl of Hills urinary hairball dry kibble ( my one adoptee is a dry food addict - no Urinary or poo issues with my crew eating these two foods separate bowls).

keep us updated often!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cruellamama also wanted to share that some kitties get poo issues on high protein foods.... I had to take mine off Acana grasslands US formula didn't agree with their bumms. and Orijen was too rich for my crew

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good to hear you already went to the vet to let her poop test. When they don’t find parasites in her poop, you could try adding a little pure pumpkin to her food. It can take a while to find the food that works for your girl. Try to stick with one brand for a while, switch slowly when you think it doesn’t work for her.
Hope her poop will firm up soon!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Happy you got a diagnosis. Often Giardia tests come back false negative and people go a long time with the poop struggle, but now you can nip it in the bud. The meds should do the trick, if not they will do a second round. I highly recommend wiping surfaces your cat jumps on with antibacterial wipes consistently as well as any areas on the surfaces/sides of the litter box if poop gets on it. Also when meds are done toss the old litter box. Using antibacterial wipes helps to reduce the likelihood of recontamination. Wash your hands regularly as well, as it can be contagious to humans. @Cruellamama

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
UPDATE: my vet called and my poor love tested positive for Giardia. So metronidazole few times a day. I feel so for her but oh my lord the poop everywhere is a real pain.

That’s a bummer. I have dealt with the pain in the past too. It’s particularly stinky, I know. Her symptoms will improve in a few days on the med. just make sure to give the full course so it doesn’t come back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm glad that you at least know now the reason to the poop issues! We dealt with Giardia when my boy first came home. It was a nightmare and both boys had to be treated a second time. If possible I would ask for the powder rather than the liquid if possible! My boys would foam at the mouth over the taste of the liquid version.

I also bought a steamer and had to steam everything in the house, floors, cat towers ect.

Yoda mom

Staff member
hugs n positive vibes sent... several of have dealt with giardia.. here for you! glad you got a diagnosis and treatment plan... You got this..

your vet may have specifics for treating the home, bedding etc. I kept thinking vets offices get all kinds of pets in with this and that and asked them what they use to clean..

keep us updated
Chlorhexidine solution is used in many vets office as one of the cleaning products. I did call revival animal site bcz their site mentioned the solution being used for giardia . non toxic non irritating...

I ended up finding it on chewy and adding it to my free shipping order... a gallon goes a looong way

I bought a gallon at chewy diluted it into a spray bottle and also used it on the hard surfaces and litterboxes etc.
https://www.chewy.com/durvet-chlorhexidine-solution-horse/dp/139643. I sprayed it on dog bedding in the laundry too.

I bought a fancy steamer but did not use it returned it... apparently I was reading somewhere it had to be a certain temperature to be effective and my little steamer wasnt going to cut ... I did pull out my laundry steamer to try on a few areas. ended up with the chlorhexidine in a spray bottle ,,, diluted to spray surfaces. I also sprayed on fragrance free baby wipes for my dog. I have carpet at was paranoid about others getting it. none of my other pets got it giardia.

i use it to this day in a spray bottle for routine cleaning

hang in there... you got this !

Last edited:
Back