Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Oh noooo.....

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bayleigh was scanned this morning and is HCM positive. So far there's only moderate thickening in one one area.... I don't know if I can go through this again, but I know I don't get a choice :Sad:

Brooke

Banned
Bayleigh was scanned this morning and is HCM positive. So far there's only moderate thickening in one one area.... I don't know if I can go through this again, but I know I don't get a choice :Sad:

OH NO! My heart is breaking for you and Bayleigh. :Sad: I can only hope that you've caught it early enough that she'll have many, many more years. It's totally possible - every cat is different. Having also lost a boy to HCM, I've always said I don't know if I could handle it if another of my cats was diagnosed with it, either...

Bayleigh is very lucky to have a Mom who is so proactive with her care and had her scanned. Fingers are crossed for her!

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all for the kind words. Bayleigh isn't related to my other cats that passed away at all...just dumb luck that 3 of the 4 sphynx I've had have been positive. Ugh
:(
I will do more research before I buy my next baby but the cardiologist today said she's had breeding cats as old as 12 test postive for the first time. That's so scary. There are so many bad things out there that can hurt our babies. I wish I could shelter them forever.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is bad luck.
There are HCM positive cats in Wrinkles lines.
I would try to research the lines of your cats and see if there are any pos cats in them.

Brooke

Banned
Thank you all for the kind words. Bayleigh isn't related to my other cats that passed away at all...just dumb luck that 3 of the 4 sphynx I've had have been positive. Ugh
:(
I will do more research before I buy my next baby but the cardiologist today said she's had breeding cats as old as 12 test postive for the first time. That's so scary. There are so many bad things out there that can hurt our babies. I wish I could shelter them forever.

Has the cardiologist decided what course of treatment you're going to take with Bayleigh yet? I hope you'll keep us posted on how she's doing.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm very sorry to hear about Bayleigh. :Cry:

I do hope she can live out her life still comfortably and happy.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We're going with 6.5 mg Atenelol once a day for now. Hopefully we can get her to a point where it's "safe enough" to have anesthesia.... She needs dental surgery ASAP so that's a whole other can of worms to worry about :( Plus, I'm a worrier by nature. Sorry, just feeling bad for myself today.....It sure is nice to have this board and know that I'm not the only sphynx owner that's dealing with issues, whatever they might be. Thanks, all! You guys are the best!

Brooke

Banned
We're going with 6.5 mg Atenelol once a day for now. Hopefully we can get her to a point where it's "safe enough" to have anesthesia.... She needs dental surgery ASAP so that's a whole other can of worms to worry about :( Plus, I'm a worrier by nature. Sorry, just feeling bad for myself today.....It sure is nice to have this board and know that I'm not the only sphynx owner that's dealing with issues, whatever they might be. Thanks, all! You guys are the best!

That's good to hear! That's a conservative treatment (I'm sure you know...). I know a couple of people who have had HCM kitties for 8+ years, so keep your hopes up!

Harold was on Atenolol (among many other things) and that was the easiest med to give because I had it compounded into a chicken flavored liquid that I could just drop onto his food...made giving that med much easier than finding creative ways to sneak a pill down his throat!

I know you've already got experience with HCM :Cry: but if you ever need to chat about it or bounce ideas or anything...we're here for you.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so sorry :Cry: I really hope Bayleigh can stay comfortable and can continue to have a happy life. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

PitRottMommy

Banned

I'm so sorry to hear she's positive. :(

Even if she does become as safe as she can, have them use no injectable medications and use only gas. Most vets use sevo to go down (because its faster) and iso to maintain. And it can be used during a dental through intubation (which should be done on every pet anyhow).

susi794

Staff member
:Cry: I am so very sorry. I hope you have many comfortable and loving years together yet to come....:Cry:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
kiennasmom, just to give you a little bit of hope, my female Siamese cat Sydney was diagnosed with HCM last year. She's been on 5mg of benazepril a day since then and seems to be doing very well on that medication. She's 13 years old (will be 14 in Feb) and my vet says that with good care, she should still have a few more good years left in her. With good diet and medication, Bayleigh could live for many more years. HCM is a scary diagnosis but if caught early enough, it doesn't mean an instant death sentence for your cat.

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My heart goes out to you, for the Hcm diagnosis. I truley believe you must be together for a reason and you will give Bayleigh the best possible life no matter what.

Back