Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

OMG I think her tail is broken!

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm not sure when or how but I noticed tonight that Izzy's tail had a "kink" in it and it swollen. She can still move her tail but she doesn't want me to touch it. We are going to the vet first thing in the morning. I'm crying I'm so upset. She fell off her cat tree two days ago, and I think it may have happened then but why am I just now seeing this? Or did she get hurt today I didn't hear her cry out? Did my son hurt her by accident? Hopefully the vet can fix it. :(
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would be worried too, but, try to calm down, if you can. Do take her
to the Vet, in the morning and see, what, they say.
If, it should be broke, they can amputate it and she will be fine.
@ZiggyStardust baby Toothy had his tail amputated and he's doing fine.
I know it's sad and heartbreaking, but, grateful, there is help.
It could be sprang, I hope that's all. Let us know what you find
out, Best Wishes.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ouch. Poor Izzy, that must have hurt.

Hoping it heals up nicely and doesn't need the chop.

Sending some lair prayers her way. Hope wasabi is looking after his sister ;)

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm not sure when or how but I noticed tonight that Izzy's tail had a "kink" in it and it swollen. She can still move her tail but she doesn't want me to touch it. We are going to the vet first thing in the morning. I'm crying I'm so upset. She fell off her cat tree two days ago, and I think it may have happened then but why am I just now seeing this? Or did she get hurt today I didn't hear her cry out? Did my son hurt her by accident? Hopefully the vet can fix it. :( View attachment 19998View attachment 19999 View attachment 20000
Oh ow! I hope she gets better, that the vet can place it and it heals normal.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
O noes! Poor girl... Glad the vet didn't think it needed amputation and I hope it heals quickly. Samael hurt his tail a little over a year ago (wasn't broken but bruised very badly) and he licked it raw, so keep an eye on her for sure.

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ouch! Poor thing! Sending prayers for a Izzy a speedy recovery. Glad to hear vet thinks it can heal on its own. Let us know what your regular vet says. Hugs!

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Going to see another vet at 4. Her regular vet couldn't take her today as they are slammed pack plus they don't have the equipment to X-ray her at their facility so they have to send her out the the same ER I was at last night! UGH! Found another vet in my area that can see her and get x-rays today and I can stay by her side and not send her out to another facility for more testing. Poor baby girl. At least she's still eating, but she has glued herself to a heat vent in the house and is soaking it up rather than snuggling in bed.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Going to see another vet at 4. Her regular vet couldn't take her today as they are slammed pack plus they don't have the equipment to X-ray her at their facility so they have to send her out the the same ER I was at last night! UGH! Found another vet in my area that can see her and get x-rays today and I can stay by her side and not send her out to another facility for more testing. Poor baby girl. At least she's still eating, but she has glued herself to a heat vent in the house and is soaking it up rather than snuggling in bed.

Oh my goodness. How frightening. My guys have fallen off their cat trees too and it scares the crap out of me. So sorry that her tail IS broken. Hopefully you'll feel better after you see this other vet later today. If you weren't planning on showing her, then the kink may not be a big deal. Don't blame yourself for this happening as you are not even 100% sure how it happened. Just along she's comfortable should be the only thing that matters.
Hugs to you and your girl. oxox

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Aww sorry to hear your baby is in pain!! Try not to worry too much she'll be ok! Jeb came to me with a lil kink tail and I used to have a dog that had a bad kink in his tail, it adds character! View attachment 20017 The tip of his tail is kinked,breeder said he was born like that.

A lot of times they would remove a kink like Jeb has at the time of neutering.

Jebsmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A lot of times they would remove a kink like Jeb has at the time of neutering.
Really? He still has his lil ping pongs,I've yet to get him neutered..... but the vet never said anything about it, the vet also never has treated a Sphynx which really sucks ! I've been to 2 and neither has cared for a Sphynx ,the search continues...

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Really? He still has his lil ping pongs,I've yet to get him neutered..... but the vet never said anything about it, the vet also never has treated a Sphynx which really sucks ! I've been to 2 and neither has cared for a Sphynx ,the search continues...

Yes, for sure when he gets neutered they can just snip his tail at the kink (which isn't much of Jeb's tail at all).
As far as these vets never seeing a sphynx before...I say to educate them. Do lots of research on medicines, illnesses, anethesia, skin care, etc. and teach your vets. That's what I did. Whatever all the vets at my vets office didn't know about a sphynx, I've been telling them little by little.
My vet's office had two sphynx patients prior to my babies coming in, but they didn't know half the things that I had told them along the way. My vet is very careful about medicines, etc. with my babies. They are always a big hit when they go to the vet's office and the other vets and techs come running out to see them and tell me that they want one. :)

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mudd broke her tail as a pup - my brother closed a gate on it by accident - and hers healed up just fine. She has a little kink in it, but it's cute and it doesn't bother her. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Back