Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

OMG the meowing ...

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Rosie sounds a bit like my "difficult" cat Marcel :) He was my first one so it was a bit easier for us to get used to each other, he also doesn't like to play with me or play fight with my other two, is difficult about affection and used to meow a few hours a day for no apparent reason. Mostly I think Marcel is just a very shy/gentle cat compared to the babies and gets stressed/anxious more easily. At first I really struggled with his meowing because I kept offering him things and he didn't seem to want anything.. then I figured out he has to have what he wants in some exact weirdo way. Although he seems to reject my cuddles/affection most of the time.. that's actually what he wants when he's whining usually (he mostly did this when I'm in bed). What works for him is either putting a blanket on him or lifting the blanket up so he'll get under it depending on the mood, he likes to be either by my side with my arm around him when this happens or on my knees. Getting him under that blanket can take like 5 tries or more, sometimes he runs around when I try to put it on him and won't go under but keeps meowing for it.. So when he's under his blanket I can either just hold an arm/hand on him, rub him through the banket or caress his head. He usually falls asleep quickly or just stays there cuddling until something disturbs him. He also likes to have his butt rubbed firmly/massaged, he will run away from most normal petting and only wants it at specific times/places.. like 5 am or in the bathroom for example! But he can get really into when he does. As for playing he likes swatting at things while he's hiding, the first game I discovered was him being in the bathroom and me poking my fingers from behind the corner/door... he also goes for me moving my hand under blanket/sheet sometimes. Treat puzzles are nice too, an empty egg carton with treats works great. He likes sheets draped over chairs so they can run around/hide with other cats.. or my hands The main thing with playing with Marcel is that he's so shy and doesn't want to play with anything other cats are playing with/while they're around usually. It was a bit easier when he was alone. Another group game that works is just throwing a ball/toy from one end of the room to the other over and over and everyone runs after it. He doesn't always join in at first but tags along eventually. I think getting a third kitten helped too cause now they play fighting games with each other and no one bounces on him/scares him. He's a lot more relaxed now and doesn't whine much :)

This also has some good tips

Glad you've made some progress with Rosie!

Last edited:

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@celsei thanks for sharing your story and video! What a handsome boy you have :) We are continuing to work hard with Rosie. Was a rough day yesterday, but we managed without losing our cool (at least not too badly!). I do think Rosie would like to snuggle and play, but she's just not comfortable, so maybe in time with lots of trying and patience!
I think if I suggested bringing in a 3rd cat, my husband would just up and leave me :nailbiting:

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It was a tough weekend with Rosie. Yesterday was hard, I feel so awful about the whole situation. I want to have patience with Rosie, but it's so hard, especially when I'm having my own tough day. Just needed to vent ... :(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kate, have you reached out to your breeder ?
She/he may have some suggestions

I forgot to ask how old is Rosie and if she is spayed?
(Some female kitties can get pyometra uterus infection)
(just trying to think outside the box)

Is she engaging with the extra play time with the kids?
I know you are doing everthing you can-
I would definitely give your breeder a call.
I know you want the best for her and your family.
Only you can decide what is best for your circumstances .

You mentioned you believe she may not be the right fit for your family.
You reaching out for suggestions shows me how much you love her.
We are blessed hopefully with double digit years of life with our babies - that is a long time.

Love sometimes is doing right by them for a purrfect fit -

If you should consider rehoming her to make her happy and your family balanced ,
You certainly are part of the lair family that can help hearts align.

You have our positve thoughts and support ((hugs)))

It's okay to talk with your breeder for advice and suggestions.
I know my breeder would prefer to be contacted if there are concerns about the fit
To explore ideas

We are here for you

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom Rosie is just over 2 years old, and she's been spayed (twice :)). I cannot contact her breeder, they seem to have fallen off the map, and the contact info I have no longer works - go figure! The kids have been trying to engage her and sometimes she will stop for a quick pat, and we all try to talk to her a bit more. Yesterday was extra hard I think cause I was out for a good chunk of the morning with the kids, so it was just her and my hubby home - his stress level was through the roof when I got home. Not an easy situation :(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kate , does her vet have any advice on the meowing ?
Spayed twice ?- could it be related -I would ask the vet
Just trying to brainstorm ideas
I had a chatterbox years ago and personally know no amount of "quiet" !
Worked and was stressful

Rosie most certainly feels the energy too :(
So stressful for all
Sending lots of ((hugs)))

So sorry your breeder ghosted - been there too argh

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kate , Do you think a heated cat bed or the heated pads I think by Sunbeam?@Xandria uses would be caiming for her? Set up in her own room/spot

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The vet didn't really have any suggestions ... she's in excellent "medical" condition. He said that there are meds to possible try, but I don't think that is a viable or long term solution, and I honestly don't think it's necessary.
I am in the process of looking into a heated bed for both kitties. When Rosie settles down, she's always burrowed deeply in one of the beds under all the blankets, so she knows where to go to get snuggly warm.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Kate don't have advice to offer but wanted to sent you a big hug! It must be so stressfull for you all and I know you're trying so hard.

Natasja

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kate , here is the thread and pics of the sunbeam set up by Xandria

Human Bed Time & Sphynxie Sleeping Arrangements

Looking forward to positve updates :)

When I got my adult kitties and prepared for meowing on the 7 hr trip ,
I read that catnip could be calming - (was told my adoptees were horrid travelers - )

I figured what the heck and put in one of those yellow catnip bananas -
Shockingly not a peep out of them - they slept all the way home

Catzzzmeow

Staff member

Catzzzmeow

Staff member

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes, she has a nice high cat tree, and access to many sunny windowsills. She does enjoy being outside on our porch, but now that it's cold, it's not a possibility for her to be out there. It's a long winter here ...
I have tried cat nip toys, but she's not interested in them.
What a little stinker, she must know that I'm talking about her, as she's been perched beside me and cuddling a little bit the whole morning :)
unnamed (1).jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kate, She is precious! Head smooches sent

Did she start meowing more since she is limited on going out on the porch since its been cooler out?

Mr ears perked up when I read your post... Just a thought
because I had a black cat years ago who was made an indoor only cat and meooooowed
Constantly wanting to go outside - she was driving us nuts .. I did not give in-
I redirected her attention to play n cuddles and
She did finally settle in .. Took several weeks

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom thanks for checking in! I would have to say that things are improving very slowly. Rosie is coming out of her shell a bit, and is definitely showing more affection. Although, I think now when she wants attention, she's meowing even louder :) We continue to work with her every day. Now however, Jack has decided that he's jealous, and has been meowing a lot over the last few days too ... One step forward, 2 back!! I see progress, and am feeling more positive, so that's good.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kate
Continued positve vibes! Slow and steady wins the race they say

I add a little treat for " good quiet " behavior like training a dog lol
As soon as kitty is quiet while petting I treat -
I use kibble to train instead of treats so we don't get poo issues

You can even Clicker to train "good quiet " to make a positive behavior
Do not give treats for the meeeeeow
Give their food love n treats when quiet

They are super smart as you know :)

Head smooches to Rosie n Jack
Looking forward to continued positive updates!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Kate so happy to hear Rosie is coming more out of her shell and likes the attention. Hopefully Jack will get used to sharing the attention. Cuddles for Rosie and Jack and a hug for you!

Natasja

PetitChat

Lairian
Hello there,
we are facing the same situation at the moment : our Rintan, 8 months old and neutered is constantly meowing...
first I thought it was because of the food : we've decided to sop wet food (stomach issues + meowing even MORE in the kitchen), he is dry fed only.
He usually meows at night before bedtime to play seek and hide, this is totally ok for us! it won't last more than 15 mn....
But he's been meowing a lot lately, from day to night... as if he was bored (we do leave toys, and play with him!) .
I'm a bit desperate ..... the only thing that helps so far is to leave him playing with earplugs !!!!! (but I'm afraid he could swallow one...)
thanks a lote

Yoda mom

Staff member
@PetitChat (((Hugs))) since this is a 2016 post... can you copy past your reply and start your own thread for members to chime in? my talker loves his exercise wheel.. he talks on it too when I tell him go faster... only he uses it the others watch.

PetitChat

Lairian
@PetitChat (((Hugs))) since this is a 2016 post... can you copy past your reply and start your own thread for members to chime in? my talker loves his exercise wheel.. he talks on it too when I tell him go faster... only he uses it the others watch.
Thank you ! I though it was not relevant to publish another thread about the same "old" topic ^^
How big is the wheel?
We live in central Paris, I don't have that "much" space I guess... but our boy is spoiled : tons of toys + boxes to climb on + window hammock.....

Yoda mom

Staff member
@petit the wheel is big! we nicknamed it the stargate... I would say 50 inches round plus base. I wear the others out with a dabird feather pole toy I have to hide or they eat feathers and chomp strings. how long ago was he neutered? took my boy a few weeks for hormones to settle , look forward to an introduction post pics too!

PetitChat

Lairian
@petit the wheel is big! we nicknamed it the stargate... I would say 50 inches round plus base. I wear the others out with a dabird feather pole toy I have to hide or they eat feathers and chomp strings. how long ago was he neutered? took my boy a few weeks for hormones to settle , look forward to an introduction post pics too!
"stargate" ^^
He was neutered in September... and I caught him today crumbling the earplug then swallowing it :-S

Last edited: