Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

One Sphynx?

LuvKitties

Lairian
Hi! I am new to the community and have learnt so much already. I just recently got a little boy and he is so perfect. I would love to hear from anyone who has only one Sphynx, no other cats, and how they do in a one cat household. I do have dogs and I work from home, so I am not gone often. Thanks so much.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome!

I have a four sphynxcat household so I'm not the one you aksed for:).

But wanted to chime in and say your boy will do great with his dog buddies and his mommy working from home!

Although sphynx are like potato chips, one is never enough:)

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've had two and now just one. She's not happy being left alone since I don't work from home. My hubby is home a lot at the moment and we're waiting for a buddy for our girl in a couple of weeks. So, for us the one cat does not work, I feel she gets depressed on her own. I bet your set up is perfect with the dogs and mommy at home!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have one sphynx (5.5 months old, 7 lbs), a 65 lb boxer/pitbull hybrid, and a 4.5 lb yorkie.

Kenzo, my sphynx, got on with the dogs from the start. He and my yorkie are bffs. They wrestle and chase all day, and cuddle up under the sheets in bed all night. My boxer mix is a gentle giant. You can usually catch Kenzo and him curled up together in their sunny spot for midday naps. However, at 10 years, he is too old to keep up with Kenzo’s kitty antics.

Kenzo is also so amazingly tolerant for a cat. My daughter is 11 months old. He lets her pull and suck on his tail, nibble on his ears, and steal his toys right out of his mouth! Sometimes, she pets him a bit too hard, but he’s never tried to scratch or bite her. It’s almost like he understands she just a baby. They are always getting into something together... I think he is her favorite. :cat:

Long story short, I think one sphynx is fine, as long as they have a playmate who can match their energy. They are very active and very social... That being said, I want another sphynx so bad! They are addicting! :p Plus, your gorgeous dwelf boy is giving me kitten fever like crazy!! I totally fan-girled so hard over him on your other post. :smuggrin: I want a little girl elf who looks similar!

LuvKitties

Lairian
Thank you for the advice. Mine is bonding with my yorkie/shitzu mix. He is 5, but very active and does really well with him. I think they will be good buddies. They already play together. Just worried that it's not the same as a a kitty friend. And, of course, I would love a little girl now too :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Thank you for the advice. Mine is bonding with my yorkie/shitzu mix. He is 5, but very active and does really well with him. I think they will be good buddies. They already play together. Just worried that it's not the same as a a kitty friend. And, of course, I would love a little girl now too :)

Well in that case...you know you really can NOT have only one sphynx kitten at home. You boys really NEEDS a sphynx buddy. To be precious, a cute and beautiful little girl. It's NOT because you want another. It 's just because your boy NEEDS her. Like really NEED.

Haha just kidding of course. But well sphynx are like potato chips and you need reasons to get more then one;-)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LuvKitties , welcome to the lair family !
What is your boys name?
We have several members with one kitty households and many with Sphynx and dogs :)
All are lair family so please be sure to post s pic of your boys " doggie friends "too !

Sounds like your babies have the purrfect bond:)
I find they love dogs! It's like a moving heated blanket lol

LuvKitties

Lairian
His name is Elijah :) I have three little dogs, Oz, Daisy, and Leo. They are all my babies.
daisy.jpg
leo.jpg
oz.jpg

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have one spynex n she’s 1yr old. I would love another kitty, but my girl had so many health issues the time has never been right! But hopefully soon! She hates being alone, me n my hubby work shifts so it works, as shes only left for 8hrs a few days a month, but I think ur baby will be fine as she has the dogs to keep her company!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I only have one lovely sphynx boy, that's been with me and hubby now 4,5 months although it feels like we've had him forever! I can definitely see the benefit of having 2 (or more) as I'm his only playmate and I know he gets a bit bored sometimes. Daddy will give cuddles but is not up for the energetic running around of a kitten. Fortunately I'm just a big kid myself and I love playing with Butchie, but he does wear me out sometimes :sleep: I have mentioned getting a brother or sister for Butchie, but my hubby looks at me like I've asked for a baby elephant :LOL: To be fair, our current place isn't big enough for 2 cats but I'm thinking he might come around when we move to a bigger one. I would like to get a dog as well, and to me 2 sphynx's and a dog sounds brilliant :love:

LuvKitties

Lairian
Thanks everyone for the advice. So i did it, I get my second kitty in one week. So excited and happy for my little boy. Decided he should have someone to grow up with and wanted to do it while he is little.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello!
I have one girl sphynx, Rosie. She’s a real mummy’s girl and loves being an only child. I work nights and so I’m home most the day which she loves. I get a lot of her just standing on my chest and purring in my face!

My boyfriend has a naked boy and he brings him over for play dates, which they both love and they have fun running around and playing. Rosie quite often lets us know when she’s had enough of his company and has a little girly cry when he keeps pestering her. She’s happy to see him, but also happy when it goes back to just us girls! I know she loves his company, but she’s quite content to be an only cat!

Your cat will let you know in their own way if they are lonely. I’ve often thought of getting Rosie someone for company, but in my heart I know she’s quite content and another cat would be more for me, than for her

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry! I totally missed you are getting another one! Congratulations! Get ready for double the fun and double the love!

LuvKitties

Lairian
@LuvKitties woohoo! Congratulations. How exciting gotcha will be in a week. Is the second kitten a boy or a girl? Can't wait to see gotcha day pics!
It will be a second boy. I hope that doesn't matter. I was going for the best personality. This little boy has been well socialized. My little boy now had not been around dogs, so that was a huge change for him. We are super excited.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@LuvKitties that sounds great. Personality is the most important. My two boys are the best buddies one can imagine. And it's great this second boy is well socialized and used to dogs.
Super exciting time ahead for you!

Back