Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ongoing issues

ChelseaKaupp

Lairian
Poor Umami. I've lost count of the amount of times we've taken her to the vet.

Umami's chronic eye infections have continued, only improving whilst she's on medication. As soon as we stop, the issues return.
We found our last vet to be not very useful - we were €800 in and the only thing they could tell us was that Umami had dry eyes. Their diagnosis of chlamydia was never confirmed. When I suggested it may be allergies, they shot me down fast and instead suggested a whole host of things, basically as an attempt to get more money. So...new vet!

Umami went to her new vet a week and a half ago - she had her spaying surgery (all went well, although she can't stand her little surgical suit!). We returned for a follow up appointment and to address her chronic issues. Wow. What a difference in care and service! No unnecessary costs, vet and nurses going out of their way to ensure Umami was well looked after!
Turns out she had a lot more going on than I was aware! Feeling like a bad cat mum!

We did the chlamydia/herpes test just to get some idea if these are an issue (obviously they can throw a false negative but it was about time this test was done). In addition to her swollen eyes, Umami was noted to have very dirty ears (something I was under the impression was normal for sphynx cats but apparently not to this extent). So we took swabs and she has a yeast infection in the ears.
Umami also has a bad habit of eating everything. Everything non-edible (she ate 20cm of elasticated string from her toy a week ago. Miraculously she pooped it out whole). I had put this down to behavioural issues (boredom...she needs a friend). Vet thinks all issues are related.

Allergies.

So Umami is on a whole host of medication and a new Hills z/d diet for the next 6 weeks. Drops for the ears, antacids and a gastroprotective medicine to help her line her tummy (vet thinks she's in pain and that's why she eats paper, card board, string, little rocks....).

Fingers are all crossed this is it! It's been 4 months now she's been suffering with us, and who knows how much before that with the breeder.

Anyone been through anything similar? Apologies for the long post!
20181005_094815.jpg

D

Deleted member 14512

No. I have (and had) only one sphynx, so out of the one sphynx I have, nothing like that is going on with him. He does have an excessive amount of ear-wax though, which I believe is normal for sphynx cats.

Even though I'm not sure what might be going on with Umami, I hope he feels better soon so there's not so much pressure on you or Umami.
Hope you get some useful information so you and your baby can feel better!

ChelseaKaupp

Lairian
Thank you so much! We hope so too - Umami has been through so much, and this pregnant mumma:stop: would like to not stress too :D We can all sleep better when she is healthy :)

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm glad you had a better experience at the new vet. Sometimes a little underlying issue can create more issues. Like her eyes may be related to her ear issue. Remeber all the sinuses are connected. So be patient and vigilant with treatment.

ChelseaKaupp

Lairian
I'm glad you had a better experience at the new vet. Sometimes a little underlying issue can create more issues. Like her eyes may be related to her ear issue. Remeber all the sinuses are connected. So be patient and vigilant with treatment.

We will. Thank you so much!
Miraculously she seems to totally love her new allergy free diet. I've been searching for a suitable wet food that she goes crazy for and licks the bowl clean. Hadn't found one yet, but seems like the weird jelly consistency of Hills z/d wet food is a winner for her. Clean bowl every time so far!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@ChelseaKaupp It sounds like lovely Umami's health is heading in the right direction and I really hope it stays that way! :happy: I can certainly sympathise with the concern about the vet - I am currently trying my 3rd vet and am hoping I can have confidence in this one :banghead: I find it sickening how these people can be so callous and moneygrabbing! :sick: Hugs and positive vibes!!

ChelseaKaupp

Lairian
@ChelseaKaupp It sounds like lovely Umami's health is heading in the right direction and I really hope it stays that way! :happy: I can certainly sympathise with the concern about the vet - I am currently trying my 3rd vet and am hoping I can have confidence in this one :banghead: I find it sickening how these people can be so callous and moneygrabbing! :sick: Hugs and positive vibes!!

Ohh fingers crossed lucky number 3 works for you! It's definitely worth persevering. The difference for us was like night and day - even the little stuff makes a huge difference!

I agree with you. Sickening is the right word when it comes to particular vet clinics that clearly prioritise money and making more of it. That's not why I got into working in the animal industry, and it's upsetting to see people who's motives are clearly different.
Good luck! *hugs*

ChelseaKaupp

Lairian
((Hugs)) checking in for updates
Hi! We've been waiting for her new diet to kick in to see the effects, but now we can see them. What. A. Difference.

Her eyes look the absolute best they have ever done in her entire life. Unbelievable. Food allergies it was then! So relieved!! So we'll keep her on this for 5 more weeks as recommended by the vet and then decide from there if she stays permanently on this food, or we can try a home-made raw diet for her.

As for Umami otherwise...still a handful. Today has been a nightmare day and we've been feeling like terrible kitty parents. She somehow managed to find some plastic wiring and ate that last night...after the string 2 weeks ago, we couldn't believe it. This one was harder for her to pass and she showed signs of pain, but after almost 36 hours it came out and she went back to normal. Until the afternoon, when little miss clumsy managed to fall off the washing machine while trying to get to me in the shower. She hit something on the way down which threw her balance and she landed hard on her face and side. Her nose was bleeding and she vomited a small amount of blood (from the nose bleed), but a quick check in with the vet showed she's ok. Just sore and napping it off.

This cat...I love her, but...wow Yay for the allergies being solved...but boo to the 3 lives used up these past couple weeks!!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Great news about the diet working!! I'm pleased she's alright after her wire munching and that fall as well... These lovely creatures like to keep you on your toes, and they can't half be clumsy sometimes :S

Yoda mom

Staff member
Thank you for the update!
I swear I have to kitty proof for life! They eat everything!
Even cst toys have to be kitty proofed Herve!i have to hide the Dabird toy when not in use or they will try to eat the string! Bells , etc on other toys

Dublin Riis

Lairian
Poor Umami. I've lost count of the amount of times we've taken her to the vet.

Umami's chronic eye infections have continued, only improving whilst she's on medication. As soon as we stop, the issues return.
We found our last vet to be not very useful - we were €800 in and the only thing they could tell us was that Umami had dry eyes. Their diagnosis of chlamydia was never confirmed. When I suggested it may be allergies, they shot me down fast and instead suggested a whole host of things, basically as an attempt to get more money. So...new vet!

Umami went to her new vet a week and a half ago - she had her spaying surgery (all went well, although she can't stand her little surgical suit!). We returned for a follow up appointment and to address her chronic issues. Wow. What a difference in care and service! No unnecessary costs, vet and nurses going out of their way to ensure Umami was well looked after!
Turns out she had a lot more going on than I was aware! Feeling like a bad cat mum!

We did the chlamydia/herpes test just to get some idea if these are an issue (obviously they can throw a false negative but it was about time this test was done). In addition to her swollen eyes, Umami was noted to have very dirty ears (something I was under the impression was normal for sphynx cats but apparently not to this extent). So we took swabs and she has a yeast infection in the ears.
Umami also has a bad habit of eating everything. Everything non-edible (she ate 20cm of elasticated string from her toy a week ago. Miraculously she pooped it out whole). I had put this down to behavioural issues (boredom...she needs a friend). Vet thinks all issues are related.

Allergies.

So Umami is on a whole host of medication and a new Hills z/d diet for the next 6 weeks. Drops for the ears, antacids and a gastroprotective medicine to help her line her tummy (vet thinks she's in pain and that's why she eats paper, card board, string, little rocks....).

Fingers are all crossed this is it! It's been 4 months now she's been suffering with us, and who knows how much before that with the breeder.

Anyone been through anything similar? Apologies for the long post!
View attachment 88140

First of all your baby is GORGEOUS!!! It's difficult to get past the cuteness before putting in my two cents.

Is this a new kitty?

Did she come with a (health) guarantee from the breeder?

If this IS a new kitty, have you gone over the health issues with the breeder and is she/he willing to assist in some small way? If they won't - LESSON LEARNED with your next kitty - and pass on the word about this breeder to other people looking for a new kitten.

It's frustrating because we love our babies and hate to see them suffer. Personally, I'd continuously change vets (for the unsolved issues) until you come across that "special" vet that can fix it. It will cost you, but with a different vet and eventually successful results.

I'd call a vet's office and explain the situation with ALL THE MEDICATIONS your baby has already tried. This way, you're not going to repeat what has already been proven NOT to work.

I don't have money either, but I'd search the entire city I live in to find that ONE VET that can find the solution.

For all other basic vet issues, I'd remain closer to home.

That was more like putting my 20 cents in. Sorry for the loooong post

ChelseaKaupp

Lairian
Thank you for the update!
I swear I have to kitty proof for life! They eat everything!
Even cst toys have to be kitty proofed Herve!i have to hide the Dabird toy when not in use or they will try to eat the string! Bells , etc on other toys
So glad to hear it's not just us! :ROFLMAO: We've invested in all these new bookshelves and cupboards so things can be hidden from her and it's made things so much better! She still however on the rare occasion finds something to eat.

ChelseaKaupp

Lairian
First of all your baby is GORGEOUS!!! It's difficult to get past the cuteness before putting in my two cents.

Is this a new kitty?

Did she come with a (health) guarantee from the breeder?

If this IS a new kitty, have you gone over the health issues with the breeder and is she/he willing to assist in some small way? If they won't - LESSON LEARNED with your next kitty - and pass on the word about this breeder to other people looking for a new kitten.

It's frustrating because we love our babies and hate to see them suffer. Personally, I'd continuously change vets (for the unsolved issues) until you come across that "special" vet that can fix it. It will cost you, but with a different vet and eventually successful results.

I'd call a vet's office and explain the situation with ALL THE MEDICATIONS your baby has already tried. This way, you're not going to repeat what has already been proven NOT to work.

I don't have money either, but I'd search the entire city I live in to find that ONE VET that can find the solution.

For all other basic vet issues, I'd remain closer to home.

That was more like putting my 20 cents in. Sorry for the loooong post

I will happily take your 2 cents, 20 cents, 2 dollars :ROFLMAO: anything!

We've had her for 4 months and she's 7 months old now. No health guarantee from the breeder and when we contacted her about the health issues she offered to pay half, and then cut all contact with us. As you said, lesson learnt! And we will definitely be warning anyone here that is looking for a sphynx to stay away from that breeder.

We switched her vet recently and have had much more luck actually. Her eyes are clearer than they ever have been and ear infection is cleared up. Clearly it was food allergies causing all those problems. A huge relief for us to have it almost sorted. Poor girl has had loose stools for 2 weeks though and she had blood in her last movement. So, following it up with the vet. Perhaps this may be the wrong allergy food for her.
Unfortunately we're leaving the country for 3 weeks so hoping to get it under control, but we have a reliable friend looking after her anyway in case her health issues aren't sorted.

Phew. Sick kitties. Not fun, eh? She is a total cutie though! :love:
Thank you for your message!

Dublin Riis

Lairian
I will happily take your 2 cents, 20 cents, 2 dollars :ROFLMAO: anything!

We've had her for 4 months and she's 7 months old now. No health guarantee from the breeder and when we contacted her about the health issues she offered to pay half, and then cut all contact with us. As you said, lesson learnt! And we will definitely be warning anyone here that is looking for a sphynx to stay away from that breeder.

We switched her vet recently and have had much more luck actually. Her eyes are clearer than they ever have been and ear infection is cleared up. Clearly it was food allergies causing all those problems. A huge relief for us to have it almost sorted. Poor girl has had loose stools for 2 weeks though and she had blood in her last movement. So, following it up with the vet. Perhaps this may be the wrong allergy food for her.
Unfortunately we're leaving the country for 3 weeks so hoping to get it under control, but we have a reliable friend looking after her anyway in case her health issues aren't sorted.

Phew. Sick kitties. Not fun, eh? She is a total cutie though! :love:
Thank you for your message!

Good luck with your baby. We feel so much better when THEY'RE feeling good

Traci Smith

Lairian
Hoping this passes!!!
On another note where did you get the red sweater??? Having trouble finding clothes for the dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was so sorry to read about Umami's issues, but delighted that a new vet is taking control. I too, would love to read a follow-up post on this.

Sending continued well wishes.

ChelseaKaupp

Lairian
Apologies for leaving this thread stagnant! It's been a tough few months with a really hard pregnancy (almost there! 6 weeks and this baby should be out!), and honestly Umami's health issues and our lack of resolution with them have been a bit demoralising.

We've had a breakthrough though! I was recently invited to join a Finnish facebook group for Sphynx owners in Finland - as I cannot speak Finnish, I've really struggled to find anything like this before. Out of interest I searched Umami's breeder's name in the group, and the results I found were shocking.

We are far from the only people to have had difficulties with her. As far back as 2015, she's been selling sick cats then denying all responsibility and cutting contact with the owners. Exactly what she did with us. She was banned from breeding cats by the Finnish cat association, so she joined an international association and continued on. Apparently she has been known to fake medical certificates for her cats and has even started inbreeding them.

I had 5 owners of cats from that same breeder individually contact me to share their stories. All the cats had extremely similar symptoms that Umami has had her whole life. The owner of Umami's younger brother (same parents but 5 months younger) even had to have his eye removed because it was so severe.
All 5 of those cats tested positive for mycoplasma, as well as either herpes or chlamydia. All were successfully treated with a long term course of doxycycline antibiotics.

Our first vet suspected chlamydia and herpes but refused to test her and therefore never prescribed the correct antibiotic. By the time we got her to the second vet, she was older and stronger and her symptoms less severe. So her PCR panel came back negative and therefore we started treating her for food allergies.

Umami still struggles a bit with sore and swollen eyes and has had a recurrent cough for 2 months now but otherwise is relatively symptom free and healthy. However finally, with all this new evidence, the vet has told us to bring her in this evening and that if needed we'll start her right away on the correct antibiotic. I imagine it will be a long recovery process as she's had this for 11 months, and her gut is likely messed up from all the antibiotics she's gotten so that will need help and time to recover. So we have some work to do, but I am so darn relieved that we are FINALLY on the right path. What an ordeal for us all.

I can only sincerely hope that Umami doesn't have any further complications later in life because of poor breeding practices.
Will keep you all updated how her vet appointment goes tonight :)

Back