Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Only joined yesterday but I have to RANT!!

Sphynx_Mama

Lairian
:Angry:

Can you believe my husbands friend said " its disgusting we spent so much money on our kittens and that we should have spent the money on charity!! and the cost of food could be better spent on feeding starving children :Angry:

I give in charity but dont we all have to have a balance.

deeeeeeeeep breath and relax :Surprise:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do not worry about people will say very mean things.
Just ignore them.
I posted on a site before I got Cleo and got nasty replies saying that cats would die in the pound because I was getting a purrbred.
It did not matter that have saved many ferals and tamed them.
I also kept some of them.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'd follow up that comment with a pointed remark about the shiny new truck or big screen TV that the person has.

I particularly dislike people that criticize how another person spends their money-- did that person help earn it? If they are still giving grief -- I'll ask why they are still talking when their time could be better spent working at a soup kitchen.

A person making these statements is envious of the money spent -- they see $1000 in the shape of a cat and think 'gee I wish I had that money' and instead of being a mature adult, they decide to try and make you feel bad -- sour grapes and all.

//can you tell I've encountered this before?

Avasmommy

Lairian
I have decided to buy from a breeder who scans all of her Kings and Queens, gives proper vaccinations to the kittens, along with spaying them before they come home. Along with all of that she is giving the kittens a 3 year health guarantee. Well all of her work will cost more money than a breeder who doesn't do any of the work. I told my mother today of the cost (1,200) along with the cost of having to drive 16 hours to get my new addition (Cheaper than a flight). She proceeded to tell me that I was crazy, and if I wanted a cat that bad, that there were many of them on the side of the road and in need. But I pointed out that those cats have hair, and that im willing to pay good money for a good cat from a good breeder. *Granted, my husband has no knowledge of my plan to achieve this kitten, and I have until mid spring to work on him* (I dont think i'll tell him the cost UNTIL we've got our new addition.)

My mother also pointed out that I need to be spending that kind of money on my daughter. (My daughter wants for nothing)

Last edited:

doriansmomma

Lairian
I will post one of my FAVORITE quotes!

"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure -- which is: Try to please everybody." --Herbert Bayard Swope

And another that I love just as much:
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.†-- Dr. Seuss

My mother always taught me to ignore others ignorance, especially when it has no baring on my life! You love your babies, allllll that matters! :BigSmile:

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The next time someone says, "Don't buy a kitten, there are plenty of them in the pound who need a loving home!"
Just ask them why they had their own children when there are plenty of them in the adoption institutions who need a loving home.

I love this!! I should have it framed and hang it in my kitty room :)

firehillqueen

Banned
The next time someone says, "Don't buy a kitten, there are plenty of them in the pound who need a loving home!"
Just ask them why they had their own children when there are plenty of them in the adoption institutions who need a loving home.

this is indeed my favorite of ALL the comebacks! It rocks and I will remember, and use it!!!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
And another that I love just as much:
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.†-- Dr. Seuss

This Dr. Seuss quote is one of my favorites too.

As I have gotten older I found my favorite response to rude, immature, and nosy people is just to smile at them with a big dumbass grin and say nothing.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm fortunate in that my family has been involved with expensive pedigreed animals since the '50's, so none of them has ever questioned or criticized what I spend on my cats. Though there have been a few times when casual acquaintances made a comment like "I don't see how anyone could spend a lot of money on a cat." (meaning me, not "anyone", but they don't have the balls to say so). I just give them a big grin and rub it in by saying something like "Damn good thing I make good money and can afford it!" They shut up after that.

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I get that all the time!:Angry: My husband's family are always saying mean things but I just learned to ignore them! ((Mickey and Linguini are my babies I dont care what they say!))

lol! I love that Dr. Seuss quote!!!!:ThumbsUp:

Nerfbag

Lairian

So right!!!!!!

wanderpus

Lairian

This was something that occurred to me too when one of the cashiers at Pet Smart chided my boyfriend and I for wanting to get a purebred cat "when there are so many free cats being put to sleep". I've had nothing but cardboard box kitties and rescues my entire life, and I have given them incredibly full wonderful lives overflowing of love. I can't adopt EVERY cat that needs a home, nor should I feel that it's my responsibility to do so. Purebred cats can end up in pounds too when their owners don't take care of them.

Frequently people seem to argue that the life of a purebred isn't worth more than that of a mixed breed, and I agree. But they aren't worth any LESS, either! Better that expensive kitty go to me, to enjoy the life of love I give ALL my pets, than to someone who wants a fad cat, and ditches it in 6-12 months when it's no longer "cute" or they realize how much work specialty breeds can be. (I've heard so many horror stories about other specialty pets, like ferrets, who get let loose into the wild when people grow bored of them!)

It's my right to spend my money as I see fit! I don't criticize people for their spending habits, so next time someone tries to do it to you, tell them where to shove their unwanted opinion!

MikkiJean

Lairian
I didn't pay anything for my Lexi baby, but I still drove halfway across the country and back for her (so I paid in gas... lots of it haha). But it was the best decision I've made. She is the most loving creature ever, and as much as I love my furry kitty, he doesn't love back like a sphynx does. Lexi might as well be my own flesh and blood. After my mom saw her and all her clothes and how sweet she is, she practically gave up on the idea of grandchildren and promptly started posting pictures of her "grandcat" on her facebook!

Screw the people that want to judge!

Sphynx_Mama

Lairian
:BigSmile: Yes I've had so many "why didnt you take a rescue cat"

The other thing that broke my heart is "ugly cat " comments :Wink: to that I posted a status message saying "if you want me to post commentsa with regards to members of your family then carry on!! "

Honestly I had no idea how quickly they would steal our hearts and they are basically part of our family :Adore::Adore:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG!!! People are SO beyond rude!! who the F- cares what you do with YOUR MONEY!!!!
for the record, i would have told that friend to shove his extra bucks up somewhere the sun don't shine ;)
Also- if the friend donates... say "actually, thanks for noticing, since i'm short on cash.. donate a little extra for me! " lol!

this post made me think of Nofurato's posting a while back! read it.. it's worth it! :)

http://www.sphynxlair.com/f30/rude-annoying-lady-4209/

ckutkuhn7

Banned
There is always someone ready to comment on the money spent in obtaining one of these little blessings in our lives. I've actually lost a few what I thought were friends over it!

So what if I choose to spend my money on a purebred cat instead of a gym membership or new tv/computer. I've only ever bought 3 purebred cats in my life. I can't even tell you how many adopted cats I've paid for,,,even when you rescue pets from shelters you still have to pay money and honestly I bet I've paid double on those cats then I have on my two Sphynx.

People just don't understand and the more they don't like cats the worse they are. Honestly I've gotten to the point where I don't tell anyone what I've spent for them. If they press the issue I say they were free and that I'm good friends with my breeder,,,which is part true..lol all but the free part. Either way, we don't go around asking what each others births are, or how much they paid for their new dog so what business is it of theirs of how much our cats cost!

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Grrrrrrr, that really picks my a$$ when people open their stupid mouths like that :Angry: No one has said anything to me like that (yet) but believe me when it happens they are gonna get an earful from me!!!! We have a rescued furry cat, a rescued dog, one dog from a pet store and our two sphynx's are our purebred "designer" kittehs that we busted our humps working for. As for all those starving kids out there, we have a sponsored child that we donate money to each month and have done so for the past 5 years - I have yet to meet someone else that has a sponsored child. People are quick to put down others' but don't bother to take a hard look at themselves. Next time someone criticizes you about how much you spent, ask them when the last time they did something for a local shelter? Hungry/homeless children? Yes, that's what I thought - I bet they'll shut up pretty fast.

Back