Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Only Raw?

We got our kitten from a raw only cattery; in other words, as soon as the kittens are weaned from their mother they are fed only raw along with some vitamins and amino acids. Now, we are ok with the raw but we are both teachers and as we head back to school and our kitten will be alone most of the day . We don't want to leave the raw meat out all day so we decided to leave her with dry food . When we informed the breeder she is recommending that we keep her on raw all day. Any ideas?

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been feeding raw since 2013. You are correct that it can't be left out. I put food down in the morning when I get up, when I get home from work, and a little snack before bed. The cats know there's not a bottomless bowl so they eat it right away.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There are automatic feeders that keep the food cool for a few hours. Maybe you can see if that works for you.
When I had my boys on raw, I gave them raw food in the morning and in the evening. In between I left kibbles out for them BUT you have to be very careful with this. Cause kibbles and raw food are not going well together. There need to be 2-3 hours in between eating raw food and kibbles. You could do so with an automatic feeder that gives out kibble at noon.

We got our kitten from a raw only cattery; in other words, as soon as the kittens are weaned from their mother they are fed only raw along with some vitamins and amino acids. Now, we are ok with the raw but we are both teachers and as we head back to school and our kitten will be alone most of the day . We don't want to leave the raw meat out all day so we decided to leave her with dry food . When we informed the breeder she is recommending that we keep her on raw all day. Any ideas?
By the way, do you add any additives to the raw?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Carlos Franco I worked 12 hour + shifts plus an hour plus commute each way so ended up switching over to kibble I am feeding Nutrisource cat and kitten , no recalls in blue bag with poo or skin issues x4

There is a product "better in the raw " that may be a good option too easy prep
@Xandria can chime in :) she recently shared a pic of how much they loved it and got in the bag!

Better in the Raw for Cats

I feed raw for breakfast at 7am and raw for dinner at 9pm. I know I’m consistently home at those times (sometimes dinner is as late as 11pm) so I’m committed to raw at those times. They also get a snack of kibble mid to late afternoon, around 4pm give or take an hour, to hold them until their late dinner. This I can give even if I’m not home with our feeder that I can control (release the food) through the internet. I don’t leave kibble out for grazing.
I’m home a lot during the day but I’m coming and going at different times so I like to stick to giving raw first thing in the morning and last thing at night so it’s consistent, regardless when I’m home. Because of the long stretch between the two is why I give the kibble.

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I make raw food with Better in the Raw -- which is a mix in comprising of vitamins etc. I add this, plus water, to minced protein (camel and venison). I make enough for my two for about 3.5 weeks and keep it in the freezer. It takes about 24 hours or so thaw in the fridge.

That all said, I'm lucky that I work from home, but if I didn't, I'd invest in a feeder that kept the contents cold (and also figure out how frozen/thaw it should go in at morning to be edible around noonish).

TheZu

Lairian
I agree with getting one of those timed feeders if you're committed to only the raw. Thing is, yes you shouldn't leave raw out all day, but you wouldn't be leaving it out all day. You'd likely want it released at noonish? That's maybe four hours from feeding before you go?
Xandria brings up a good point. If you put it in frozen, it will stay fresh as it thaws and just be ready to feed when the timer goes off. You'll probably have to play around on a weekend to figure out the right "frozen" factor.

That being said, I don't think going 8 hours for a work day is awful for the cat. Most of them do that at night anyway! We're fortunate that my husband and mine's hours always overlap in such a way that someone is around for the 12:00-1:00 feed. But in times when we haven't, we feed her just before we go and as soon as we get back, and then feed her third meal much later, around 11:00-12:00. On particularly bad days, which has never happened yet, we are good friends with the neighbors and they would gladly check in to put her food down.

But don't sweat it too much. Lots of people have a kibble meal in the day, it doesn't make you a bad owner. Just make sure that you put a few hours between the raw and kibble meals, as you don't want to mix them. They digest at different rates.