Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Oogi is getting a tan - good or bad?

kibaspirit

Lairian
Hello lair folks,

Our boy really likes to lay in the sun all day (as I am sure you ALL experience). Watching birds is a part of it, but he will find every sunbeam and lay in it as long as possible. A month or so ago, he developed a burn on his little head from the exposure. We put a bit of sun screen just on his head, but we don't want to get in a habit of doing that to avoid him attempting to eat it.

What do you folks do? Use mostly clothes? Should we put the sunscreen on? I really don't want to restrict his window time because it bring him so much joy. Maybe it's okay/normal for him to be tan. I will get a close-up shot of his head later today so you can see. His head is literally dark brown.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A few members will put UV tint on the window to prevent sunburns! I personally have no experience with doing that but I know others have. i would not use sunscreen as it contains zinc which is toxic to cats. I actually purchased little dog hats I put on my crew when we go outside if there's moderate UV levels.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Is he only in the sun that shines through the window? Or also in direct sunlight (outside). Through the window the sunburn isn't a problem, but he can get a tan.
My crew worships the sun. They love to be in it, inside and outside. I make sure they only go in the garden when there's shadow. Still my boy Toa gets a tan.

Toa and Ross are both pink with the same colour in winter. In summer Toa gets quit brown. The breeder said she tought Toa would turn out chocolate when he was a kitten. Well...in summer she is right;-).

20190531_191027.jpg

kibaspirit

Lairian
@Toa and Ross Your babies are so cute <3 We plan on bringing Oogi outside more and I just bought him a harness for walks. Oogi is looking pretty brown just like Toa. @Bailey21 Thanks for the dog hat idea, that is great! We only did the sunscreen once. I'll look into a UV tint.

I think his tan head is pretty cute, just don't want any problems down the road.