Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Opinion on playdate wanted!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Hey yall!

So tomorrow Jimmy is thinking about going over to his cousins house to shoot guns. A hobby of theirs,,all the boys gather outside and shoot at "targets". I want to go so I can hang out with his cousins wife Leslie,,the lady who lost Tibby the kitty a while back,,anyhow, she has 2 indoor doggys, (1 large and 1 about knee height) and ummmmm maybe 3 indoor cats. All very sweet.

She also has 3 little girls who adore my kitties so of course I think its a rad idea.

I want to take my babies!! SoBe needs socialized and its just not fair to take only SoBe so of course I want Snuffie to go also. Snuffie has been around a dog the same size as her and did very well. They were both raised with large dogs, doubt either of them remember tho.

Everyone is well, no one is sick, everyone is UTD on shots....any thoughts? Should I take them? What would you do. I hate leaving them home alone all bored.

JacksMom

Banned
You're talking to the gal who takes Jack like everywhere! He went to mom's fams on the 24th with lots and lots of people and he was seriously a little ham...in the middle of it all! Then, we stayed overnight at my parents and he was into everything, then later went to dad's fam and again, Jack was all over the place, in people's laps, running around, begging for everyones food...literally! He's a big hit, too. So, I'd say take them! However, with other animals, it might take some getting used to...

Jack's going again for the New Years day festivities...my grandma already called to be sure that I take him! On Cmas eve. she asked if he could spend the night...AND she was totally serious! BUT I wanted our first Christmas morning to be together....so I told her no...maybe another time.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
You're talking to the gal who takes Jack like everywhere! He went to mom's fams on the 24th with lots and lots of people and he was seriously a little ham...in the middle of it all! Then, we stayed overnight at my parents and he was into everything, then later went to dad's fam and again, Jack was all over the place, in people's laps, running around, begging for everyones food...literally! He's a big hit, too. So, I'd say take them! However, with other animals, it might take some getting used to...

Jack's going again for the New Years day festivities...my grandma already called to be sure that I take him! On Cmas eve. she asked if he could spend the night...AND she was totally serious! BUT I wanted our first Christmas morning to be together....so I told her no...maybe another time.

If it were up to me I'd take them everywhere also. Jimmy thinks its a bad idea of course but what does it matter to him, its not like he will be inside having to deal with any chaos that might break out between all the pets. He will be outside with his boys having fun. Leslie and I are both cat enthusaist, its what we have in common, well the main thing anyhow. I just want to get SoBe socialized. My best friend brought her 3 kids over the other day and the kitties ran from them and bit her 2 yr old when he finally caught her. My bestfriends kids are 2, 5 and 10 so it was expected. Leslie's kids are 5, 11 and 15 so I think the kitties will be better. The little 5 yr old, her name is Willow, she is such a calm quiet child...love them kiddies!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I used to take Danser to visit my grandma. She loved it becase she could no longer have a pet and Danser loves to travel. It waas great for all. But I do agree that you should have a safe escape if all does not go well.
Being in the pet industry also and having shown sometimes kids and pets mix and sometimes they don't. If you know these kids well and they are calm the cats will enjoy the visit but if things get too EXCITING the cats will bail. I think maybe you need to have some ground rules so that everyone is relaxed.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Yea, I think I'm going to take their stroller. Its big enough for the both of them and it sits higher and has an enclosure so if things get roudy I can always save them. With it being higher then will be able to look down on the dogs and that will comfort them.
I'm not worried about the kitties, they are all couch potatoes and laid back. The one is just a kitten tho, she has one eye now. Leslie saved her from her grandpas house, she was his outdoor kitty, she got in a fight a few months ago and leslie has been getting her all fixed up since. She is done with her meds and her eye has healed. She is very passive.
I just worry about the doggies, Leslie said they tend to try to "eat" the kitten sometimes. Playing of course but my cats are not used to get "mouthed" by a big slobbery dog. lol I doubt they take kindly to that.

Trips to PetSmart are so much less worrisome. lol

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I really don't think it's fair to SoBe and Snuffie to expose them to a big slobbering dog when they aren't used to dogs at all. Dogs should be locked in another room and never be in the same room as your kitties (who are going to be agitated enough just from being in a strange place with strange kitties). Good luck and have fun!

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sounds like a fun day!

Gabe goes visiting with us all the time. In fact, hub had to play/sing for a Christmas party on Christmas day, and I wasn't about to leave my baby home alone, so he got to go to work with "Dad." He sat in my lap the whole time, curled in his blankie, accepting his admirers like royalty. I swear, if he had a ring he'd ask them to kiss it. :LOL:

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Blue has always loved to cuddle and explore and Bayleigh HATES it. I always wondered what Blue would do around a dog. My friend has a pug that also loves to play & be social so we set up a playdate. At that time, I didn't have the strollers but that would've been great! Instead both the cats & dogs were on harnesses inside the house. Bayleigh gave two sniffs to Spanky the pug and wandered away. Blue sniffed and then started to groom the dog! Gotta say, when Spanky first licked Blue in return, Blue looked at him like "WHOA!! Easy with the tongue, big guy!!" but they got along just fine. I would say as long as you take it easy and make sure everyone is comfortable & has a safe place to go, things should be good. Let us know how it goes!

ktate88

Banned
Well Niles goes with me almost everywhere. He doesn't like multiple big dogs, which I don't blame him, so I don't subject him to that. At Christmas there was Niles, 1 daucshund, 2 maltese mixes, and 1 rhodesian mix. Niles would have stand offs with all of them!! He knows kitties at work and loves to play.

I think taking the stroller is a great idea! If they have harnesses and leashes, perhaps take those?

Have fun!!! :BigSmile::BigSmile:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I take my cats to as much different people and especially those with pets as possible. And I always bring friends pets to my place as well, or borrow a cat now and then.
I want them to be as used as possible to all and everything.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
With supervision and an available safe haven (if they need one) the girls should be fine. And if by chance things don't go so easily, it will be a "live and learn" experience to refer to next time. Good luck, and have fun visiting.

Back