Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

opinions needed

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

That is great.
What does it look like?

Like this without the crestie in it, lol
012-4.jpg

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have flown myself but never shipped an animal so I have no idea, I did look into it once and it was my understanding that continental had more of an area range then delta and also a bigger area for the pets with people that are dedicated to the pet area. Again I am not 100% sure just seems to be that continental is used for pet shipping more frequent.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Dawn! Continental's nearest animal port is in Seattle, I think that's gonna be too far for Shannon.

dragynflye

Lairian
Yikes, I should have done a little research before asking this question. Turns out air fare is way expensive! So unless hubby's dad will come off of some frequent flyer miles, flying to get her probably won't be an option.

did you look at southwest? seriously, they are ridiculously cheap. it was barely more to fly out and pick him up myself than to ship him, and MUCH cheaper than it would have been to drive out. the flight was $247 +$75. continental was something like $1500! delta was ridiculous, too!

have you ever driven cross country before? i've driven from north carolina to california more times than i can count. it's a 4-5 day trip, depending on how hard we pushed. you have to think about gas, food, and hotels (or camping) there and back. driving isn't going to be cheap, either!

dragynflye

Lairian
heh, i just read the rest of the replies. it looks like you're going to ship her now. every one i've eve known (mostly dog people, GIANT dog people, at that) has used continental and ONLY continental. the general consistence is it's safer, they are more careful with the animals, and there are fewer "incidents" than with the other airlines. before i decided to fly out myself, my breeder said she would only use continental to ship.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
did you look at southwest? seriously, they are ridiculously cheap. it was barely more to fly out and pick him up myself than to ship him, and MUCH cheaper than it would have been to drive out. the flight was $247 +$75. continental was something like $1500! delta was ridiculous, too!

!
Holy Cow! Southwest IS way cheaper, okay that is now an option! I would so much rather him go get her in person! Thanks for that info.

Continental does not have a flight anywhere near Shannon for animals.

I know the drive would cost more, but hubby was going to take out a loan for it, if it was better for Gummi, but I am now checking Southwest! Awesome fares!

J

Jinxlover

You just let me know what's best for your family and I'll be there with bells on(gummi to, but no bell for her:BigSmile:)..lol.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You just let me know what's best for your family and I'll be there with bells on(gummi to, but no bell for her:BigSmile:)..lol.
You are awesome! We'll get it figured out soon I promise!:ThumbsUp:
Oh I made her own pic album here with the photos you sent (and ones I stole from your posts, lol)

sphynxmommy

Lairian
I think it depends on the cat....my cats would be fine driving in the car, they love it! 40 hours is a long time but it probably wont be very traumatic. If you hit hard weather-cuddle her, talk sweet! sometimes flying is stressfull too! I would opt to drive! just my opinion. I flew with my kitty a few years ago (not a sphynx) from chicago to wichita and the flight was only 2 hours, she was so stressed! then we drove from wichita to oregon and my kitty drove with my husband in the moving van, she was fine but a little stressed only because the van was so noisy but she was better than she was in the flight, then we drove from oregon to chicago in our car and she was fine she slept and was good. She never liked driving in the first place but we tried to make it as comfortable as possible. This was all spread out over time but I think driving will be better!:Cool:

holly_savage

Banned
As an ex-truck driver I have driven pretty much most of the 48 states and a road trip is always fun, but what you are being told is true...

from Columbia, SC to Seattle, WA is 2875 miles...the average person would drive 10-15 hours in a day before being sick and tired of being in the car. So that would mean almost 3 days there and 3 days back or if you really pushed it 2 there and 2 back...so right there you are looking a 4 hotels...so right thee that is almost $400 plus your food, plus gas. I'm sure it would be close to $700-$800 by the time you got home. There has to be a flight cheaper than this, even if you get one to a major city and rent a car for the day to drive to Shannon's (I don't know where she lives in relation to a major city.

When I flew to pick up Hibou last December, it would have cost me $800 to fly direct to Charlotte, NC from Toronto, plus the $125 pet carry-on fee. Toronto is a 2 hour drive from me. So instead, I drove to Buffalo (a 3 hour drive) and left from there. The direct flight was $400 plus pet, but I opted for the stopover flight. It came to the flight was $178 plus the $125. WAY CHEAPER...

I could have driven, but it was a 12 hour drive each way and the gas alone for that would have been more than the cost of flying!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think at this point driving is out~ I put my foot down! Now the question is to fly her alone, or if hubby is gonna go fetch her!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think it was DragonFlye??? who posted that Continental has the best track record and as far as everything I have heard online, they are THE airline to go through if possible.

If not, eh... Remember- heat embargoes are going to start going into effect- if they aren't already. Continental has a climate controlled holding area at all of its hubs, so you don't need to work around the heat (or cold).

I think I'd send Hubby out to get her from the sound of it.

Back