Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Opinions on Feline Leukemia Vaccine?

Hey all.

I really think the general consensus on the subject of vaccinating against feline Leukemia is don't do it... I'm unsure on why exactly people seem to be against this one compared to other vaccines other than the fact of testing positive in the future?

I would really like to be able to take Luna over to my brother's house, and have them perhaps babysit in the future if I'm ever gone for a few days. My brother has an indoor/outdoor cat (ex-farm cat, they live at the edge of the city) who IS vaccinated against feline Leukemia. My vet said that cat can still shed the virus, so if the cats are ever to meet, Luna would also need to be vaccinated. Am I just stuck with never being able to bring her over there?

I really want to do what's best for her, she's never had difficulties with vaccines in the past. Thoughts?

TIA!

@Yoda mom I follow my vet’s and breeder’s advice. I would rather not vaccinate and follow their recommendations and find different cat-sitter options.
The vet didn't seem to think anything bad of giving the vaccine, she offered to do it at our health check when I first got her and I initially said no. Does your vet reccomend against?

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@EnAyKayIDee don't know very much about the pro's and con's of vaccinations. But I was thinking: is it necessary to vaccinated against Felv before introducing your cat to others cats/taking them for outings? I know lots of lairians take their cats on outings.
And for example here in the Netherlands you can bring your cat to a cattery without needing this vaccin. So that made me think you can still go to your brothers house with your sphynx with the vaccin? But as said I'm no expert on this!