Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Opinions on PetMeds dot com?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Have any of you ever used PetMeds.com before to purchase medication or other needs for your pets?

I'm starting to run low on some eye ointment that I like to keep on hand and my vet charges me $90 to get another tube of it and I noticed on PetMeds that its only $17...its not like I need it all the time but I don't want to not have any at all at my house just incase someone has a runny eye one day.

I know its always best to have the vet give a look over but just wanted everyones opinion.

Admin...I hope this is the right "topic" thread to post this in...I wasn't sure..thanks!

ktate88

Banned
Adding my opinion and experiences from working in the veterinary field...

Online pharmacies such as petmeds, drsfostersandsmith, etc are not authorized retailers of the prescription medications. There are no rules and regulations that manufacturers and distributors have for quality and safety control.

The "medicines" can be obtained/made in many different ways. Sometimes other products are made to resemble the real thing--like knock off designer purses. Other times veterinarians and practices looking to make some money will buy in BULK and then sell it to petmeds, etc.

There have been some new regulations put in place to help stop this-- the distributors now look at your average purchase history and if you suddenly buy 5 times more then before you are flagged and monitored.

As far as efficacy...
-All products bought through a veterinarian(and their authorized distributor) are backed by the manufacturer. If your cat or dog was to get heartworms, intestinal parasites, etc they will pay in full for the treatment. I know two instances of this a few years ago. Novartis paid in full for a whole family of dogs(6!) to be treated for hook worms.
-If you buy from petmeds(or the like) your veterinarian will of course treat them, but you do not get the manufacturer guarantee, and thus free treatment if effected.

Our clients sign a release when picking up a written prescription that they understand the limitations. We do not respond to petmeds or the like.

With that being said, we are able to sometimes match petmeds in price. We must cover our cost, and sometimes their prices do not.

What to do?
-Ask your vet to price match.
-If it is a "human" drug, ask for a written prescription if you have found it at a pharmacy for cheaper. This usually applies to generics. A lot of animal medicines are people medicines too, but the problem is sometimes the dosage. Eye ointment shouldn't be a problem.
-Antibiotics are free at Publix(in the south), and I think Walmart and Target do them really cheap.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thanks for everyones input. I really appreciate it.

I'm in the midst of changing vets actually so for now I'm not ordering anything. We see our new vet in early Janurary since that is when SoBe will be spayed. At that time I will speak to him about his med policys and maybe he'll give me what I need. I'm also going to have Snuffie retested for feline herpes..I really dont think she has it,,,I think she just breaks out with slight conjunctivitus from time to time. She has never had ulcers or blisters that my feline herpes research has turned up.
Anyhow, just curious on what and if everyone has used a site such as this...Thanks again!

ktate88

Banned
I have only used Thriving Pets and you need a prescription for meds from them.
My vet used Road Runner for Cocos bp meds and they like them.

We use RoadRunner-- its a great compounding pharmacy.

My statements were most directed to the "buy it for less then your vet" places. So many out there.

Nair Bare

Lairian
With a price variance from $17.00 to $90.00 for the same medication, I would be HIGHLY suspect. Surely such an extreme discount would be reason for caution. As my grandmother use to say......" If you try to get something for nothing, it is usually good for nothing."

With my animals' medications I usually buy from my veterinarians just to support them. After all, I want to keep them solvent for I need them to stay in business. However, I am not above price comparisons when I know the quality is there, but if the price difference is just a few bucks, I will give my business to my local vets. It is far easier to find another venue to "shop down a price" in.......... like skipping one or two lattes at Starbuck's that day.

I also find comfort in knowing my vets have the complete record of every medication my animals are on, along with the dosage level, and length of time for treatment. Factual medical records are important for proper diagnoses and I do not want to rely on MY memory when dealing with an animal crisis.

ktate88

Banned
With a price variance from $17.00 to $90.00 for the same medication, I would be HIGHLY suspect. Surely such an extreme discount would be reason for caution. As my grandmother use to say......" If you try to get something for nothing, it is usually good for nothing."

With my animals' medications I usually buy from my veterinarians just to support them. After all, I want to keep them solvent for I need them to stay in business. However, I am not above price comparisons when I know the quality is there, but if the price difference is just a few bucks, I will give my business to my local vets. It is far easier to find another venue to "shop down a price" in.......... like skipping one or two lattes at Starbuck's that day.

I also find comfort in knowing my vets have the complete record of every medication my animals are on, along with the dosage level, and length of time for treatment. Factual medical records are important for proper diagnoses and I do not want to rely on MY memory when dealing with an animal crisis.

Very well put. I think there is a price for quality veterinary care as well as pharmacueticals. Vets don't go to school and pay $$$$ for their education and training for nothing.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

My vet is the one that ordered the meds from Road Runner for Coco.
They use Road Runner for compounding meds.
The meds I had compounded were almost $80 per bottle.
Thriving Pets is were I got Cocos fluids and IV set ups from.
The vet allowed me to order from them.
I was paying the same price for 1 bad of fluids from the vet as I did for 12 bags from Thriving Pets.
My vet is picky who they trust though.

Back