Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Opinions Please

Shmeeps

Lairian
Hi Everyone,

My gotcha day is mid Sept for this little guy.

tank 4 crop.jpg

The breeder said I could pick him up late afternoon the day after his neuter. I'm nervous because I'd be adding the extra stress on him from the move and everything that goes along with it. I opted to pick him up 4 days later. I think he'd be better off going back to familiar surroundings and maybe mom for a few more days. Also healing would be well on its way by the time I bring him in for his 72hr vet check. Of course I'd love to get him earlier but I'm not sure if there are any pros to picking him up the day after. What do you guys think?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , et al, your thoughts ?
(My breeder had the kitty stay with her )
Boys do bounce back quicker from neuter than a female spay surgery more involved but for peace of mind I prefer a few extra days at breeders and with his mum

Hoe old is he? He is Sooo stinking cute!
Several breeders wait till they are 14-16 weeks before going to their forever homes

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Shmeeps what a cutie he is. And so handsome. I got my boys two days after neutering. Boys recover quick from neutering.
Do you have other pets at home? Guess that can make a difference in deciding if one day after neutering is too soon.
Do you trust the breeder and is she an experienced breeder? If so it would make it easier to go with her idea

Shmeeps

Lairian
He was born July 7th and if the surgery schedule doesn't change I'll pick him up around the 14th. Breeder is experienced and very attentive. She said the same thing that the boys bounce back very quick after the neuter. I guess because their little nuggets are teeny weeny and they don't even get stitches.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Shmeeps! what a cutie!
But, I'm confused. Am I confusing neuter with something else..? o_o
Neuter is balls chopchop with boys and eggs cut cut with the girls right?
Let me poke google and google translation as I know that baby's that get fixed here as by example sterilization on girls, stay an additional week (up to 10 days even) with the breeder to heal so the breeder is sure they get delivered in super and healed condition.
Not sure about the time spam with boys though, perhaps they are far faster in patching up and healing or have less risk to bite/scratch anything open?
I'm going to google neuter. I'll be back :p

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Yumi hello

in the USA neuter is s term for pet male sterilization amd say for females :)
While you research as I do , I learned there is also a " Flank " spay incisor dome om the side
Instead of abdomen as customary - I read it is the vets descretiom which incision

*** I know now to ask the vet if it is a abdominal or Flank spay incision!Also a ,e,ver recemtly share she was surprised when her kitty got an ear tattooed - something else I need to ask vet

@Shmeeps , keep us updated om your gotcha day! Absolutely adorable ! So excited for you :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Yumi neuter is chop chop and cut cut indeed:). Hope google translate gave you the right information.
Oooh the new English words you learn with having to guess what it means cause google translate only give funny incorrect translation.

The new English words I learned her:
- neuter
- raspberry kisses
- rund (of the litter)

And much more thatbare already common for me now.

About neuter: here in the Netherlands it's common boys are neutered before going to there forever home. In the USA it's not very common. It depends on the country I guess what is considered as healthy.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom @Toa and Ross well I always confuse neuter with the real deal in therms of euh with males I've heard of temporarily things revolving their you know what. Something chemical so they cannot produce offspring for a while until that worked out and then they can happily euh you know what again.
Some cattery's use it so there females can get a break and some rest.
Neuter or spray oddly enough always makes me think rather of that then the real deal. :ROFLMAO: (no idea why!)

In Belgium it is common too and by law in power that cats get done before they go to their new home, male and female.
Unless the owner has a special number that they're allow to breed, then they can buy a 'open' cat.
If such a transaction still happens without special number both buyer and seller are going against the law. I haven't searched anything up about it yet but I'm fairly sure you can get into trouble of that :wideyed:

And I've actually seen one (sad) topic pass a while ago from a guy that somehow, god knows how, had an 'open' sphynx and a accidental litter for the second time already. :sorry: 'T was a rather sad story.
So I'm defiantly pro neuter/spray to avoid disease, accidents, behavior issues (sort of :) who wouldn't be frustrated being you know what all the time and never get some action. :hilarious:) etc.
I only dislike the fact they do it on such a early age here. For the males that is less of a problem due outside chopchops. (admit you giggled)

But for females, if they're only 2 and half - 3 months old, there still so tiny and fragile. :( knowing the location and how heavy that operation actually is on them.. It makes me sigh and sigh hard.
Yet there is little to no choice cause I just know some people would abuse it otherwise and explode it to earn a quick buck or have several -not even related to money- accidents and not knowing what to do with them or tell the buyers they can pass on naked offspring even if they have fur (if the dad by example is a fur) due now having that gen in them and let the nekkid sleep in cause they do not know sphynx is perfectly normal and not some weird monster/mistake of nature. :cry:  (n)
So I guess that law isn't so bad in therms of protecting the sphynx, preventing illness, unwanted accidents etc.
I just wished they let them grow a bit older before going cut cut or chop chops. :confused:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are smart having your breeder keep a couple of days. Just in case an odd infection or a URI develops you are covered. Also if they are sent home with a cone of shame, I wouldn’t want my new little one associating me and my home with frustration and fear with the cone amplifying things.

Shmeeps

Lairian
Hi Everyone, I'm learning a lot of new and interesting stuff on this thread. It's interesting to see the way different countries control their feline population.
@Catzzzmeow I hadnt even thought about the cone. That would make my decision very easy
@Yoda mom I didn't know about that flank incision. That's great!
@Yumi @Toa and Ross The online dictionary is something I still go to when I need to learn the meaning of a word AGAIN. Sometimes words take on a different meaning through the years LOL. I've been looking for an unusual name for my little guy and I google it to make sure it means what I think it means:p

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Don't watch this is you don't like the word 'sh.t' being used!

I think this one is very funny, about complicated English words. The hardest word in America has to be sh.t:)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shmeeps -- I totally agree a little extra time with Momma is always good. But I understand wanting these babies as soon as possible.

@Toa and Ross -- that is hilarious! DIES laughing. That was awesome.

Back