Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Option: 1.5 yrs. NO HCM vs. 4 yrs. HCM Neg.

LavaLove

Lairian
Hi Sphyx-ophiles!

I would love some input from you insanely helpful and supportive people!

I found two different cats that are available for adoption.

One is 1.5 years old and the breeder hasn't (and won't) scan for HCM. They say they only do it if they have problems with their lines.

The other is a 4 year old for the same price and she's had her scans and she's definitely HCM Neg.

It seems like going with the breeder who doesn't scan is a great risk, but I like the idea of an extra 2.5 years with my kitty. On the other hand, without a scan, I know I have no guarantee that the unscanned kitty would even last half the lifetime of the scanned one.

Thoughts?

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If it were me, I would go with the 4yr old scanned sphynx for the following reasons:
- sounds like the breeder cares more and that should produce a happy healthy sphynx
- the heartbreak of watching an hcm + cat pass sounds awful from reading stories here on the lair
- if the one breeder doesn't care to scan what else does she not care about???
- the younger cat if it is hcm positive has an unknown life expectancy

bellasmom

Banned
I would go with the older kitty... there is no way of knowing about the younger one. It will save you alot of time, money and worrying in the long run.

TotenEngel

Banned
I agree, I would go with the older one partly from the reasons people stated here, but also a younger cat will always find it easier to find a 'forever home'
When I got my Josh in 1993, he was about 4-5 years old and had been overlooked at the rescue centre a lot! It was only last year that we finally lost him, so will still had a brilliant 17 years with him!

danimcd

Lairian
4 years with the scan for sure! you could get the younger and in 6 months have major complications. if you are willing to take on the extra risk of possible medications and everything that comes along with the no scan then by all means it is your choice. but from what i have read on the lair, it's a huge risk. i know someone who's in possesion of a level 1 hcm and the cat is approx 16 yrs... so you may not have big issues, but there is always the posibility when you take this risk.

also do you trust that this breeder will notify you if her lines do eventually show HCM? do you trust that is yours gets it that she will notify other people she has sold to? these are things you may want to consider...

but ultimately it is your choice, and people take little ones with known hcm and give them a full loving live, no matter how long it is!

let us know how it goes either way!:ThumbsUp: :Smile:

I have to agree with the others. Go with the older cat, you KNOW with near absolute certainty you won't have to go through the horribleness that HCM brings. And a lot of cats live to be 16 to 20 years old, so you can still have a long time with your baby. And at least you know they will be HCM free years.

And as others have said, older cats get overlooked. My Dita is 11 (10 when we adopted her) so no one else wanted her.

Bella07

Banned
100%, I would go with the 4 year old, HCM negative girl. Everyone has already mentioned reasons that I completely agree with. Best of Luck!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Speaking from experience I would go with the older cat.
Not only that but my first two nakeds were rescues and I have a special bond of trust with them that is different than the bond I have with my cats that I have gotten as babies. Not that I love anyone less or more but when I got them as adults they seemed to be grateful of things that a spoiled kitten isn't. I love my spoiled rotten kittens too. I can't explain it well in words. Just a different bond.
Plus, give an older cat a home! It is very hard to place older cats and even a four year old could live to be 15+years.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The older kitty has a breeder that's proactive. It's a good bet she's proactive about other health issues and problems too. +1.

The younger kitty has a breeder that's reactive and deals with problems only if they crop up. Makes me wonder if she bothers getting vaccinations updated before breeding? She's a "close the barn door after the horse has escaped" type of person. -1.

Older kitty all the way!

susi794

Staff member
I'd go with the older one....for lots of reasons. Most of them have already been voiced.

pooner

Banned
Go with the older kitty. I can understand the want for the younger but as someone who's sweet baby sphynx has HCM I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If you get the cat that you know is healthy you will be better off. Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore my Pooner but I worry about him lots and I always have in the back of my head the thought of losing him :Cry:

If the cat is 4yrs old and screening negative go for it, you will have many years of love and laughs.:ThumbsUp:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Scanning negative at 4yrs old isn't a guarantee that she'll be clear for life BUT it's 100% better than buying the 1.5 yr old from someone who believes their lines are free (that they know of so far) but doesn't scan to back that up.

Go with the 4yr old definitely. :ThumbsUp:

LavaLove

Lairian
Everyone seems to be unanimous! Thanks so much for your input! I definitely have my answer and I'm going to go with the 4-year old who is def. HCM neg. I've also been able to get the breeder on the phone and she's very knowledgeable and willing to be available for future questions.

I also found out that she's actively involved with other breeders to help provide information from her sphynx lines for researchers trying to eradicate HCM. I feel really good supporting her by buying a sphynx.

You all ROCK! :)

danimcd

Lairian
Everyone seems to be unanimous! Thanks so much for your input! I definitely have my answer and I'm going to go with the 4-year old who is def. HCM neg. I've also been able to get the breeder on the phone and she's very knowledgeable and willing to be available for future questions.

I also found out that she's actively involved with other breeders to help provide information from her sphynx lines for researchers trying to eradicate HCM. I feel really good supporting her by buying a sphynx.

excellent choice! not only did you take an older cat but you chose to go with what sounds to be a great and responsible breeder! good luck! and keep us posted with pics!:ThumbsUp::BigSmile:

LavaLove

Lairian

ckutkuhn7

Banned

Great news!! Can't wait to see photos!! When is her home coming date?!?!:ThumbsUp:

LavaLove

Lairian
Great news!! Can't wait to see photos!! When is her home coming date?!?!:ThumbsUp:

I'll absolutely put up pics! The breeder should be sending some soon.

She's pregnant right now with her last litter, so it will be a few months, but that's ideal for us b/c we're planning a move to Chicago before we get her. Looks like she might be ours in about 4 months.

Everyone says it's worth the wait! :)

ckutkuhn7

Banned

She's pregnant right now with her last litter, so it will be a few months, but that's ideal for us b/c we're planning a move to Chicago before we get her. Looks like she might be ours in about 4 months.

Its totally worth the wait!!! But the wait is very hard. Most of us resort to retail therapy for our babies home coming to deal with it. lol

Last edited:

Gizzymom

Banned

I'm in the Chicago suburbs!!! Where abouts are you planning on moving to???:Laugh:

Back