Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

other breeds of cats?how to choose??????

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello All! I am the lucky owner of 2 Sphynx cats, 2 Ragdoll cats, & a Somali kitten. In the future, I plan to get 1 more cat, but I cannot decide between another Sphynx or another Ragdoll!!!!!!!!!! I received the Somali kitten as a wonderful surprise, so my original plan to have 3 Sphynx & 3 Ragdolls is no longer possible. I really feel that 6 cats is my limit. What other cat breeds does everyone have? I am curious. I do not know HOW to choose! I love both breeds!

TotenEngel

Banned
We currently have 3 rescue DSHs and 1 Sphynx.
I want another Sphynx, after seeing them today at a show my husband is after a ragdoll!! We also got contacts today for both sphynx and ragdoll rescue!! LOL

All I can say is one of each is likely ;)

TotenEngel

Banned
see, I am now kinda hooked lol, but I figure if I let the husband gets what he wants then I have leverage for when I want the next nakid :LOL::LOL:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have a ragdoll we got as a kitten and he is now 6 yrs old. Though we love him, I can't imagine 2 or 3 of them, he sheds like crazy. No one can wear black in our house, lol. My husband wears a black uniform and if he lays it down anywhere Toonces (ragdoll) is drawn to it like a magnet. We have a joke that he plops down on it and spontanously poofs off fur, like a porcupine throwing quills:LOL: He is entertaining though, he sits up on his butt with his big ole belly on display, and it's always funny to see!(see pic below, lol)

My vote is sphynx, purely for the hair issue:Laugh:

BTW~ What is a Somali cat?

021-7.jpg

Gizzymom

Banned
We have a ragdoll we got as a kitten and he is now 6 yrs old. Though we love him, I can't imagine 2 or 3 of them, he sheds like crazy. No one can wear black in our house, lol. My husband wears a black uniform and if he lays it down anywhere Toonces (ragdoll) is drawn to it like a magnet. We have a joke that he plops down on it and spontanously poofs off fur, like a porcupine throwing quills:LOL: He is entertaining though, he sits up on his butt with his big ole belly on display, and it's always funny to see!(see pic below, lol)

021-7.jpg

He is a BIG boy!!!!

Love the name!!!:LOL:
Toonces the driving cat was one of my favorites!!!

Jennifer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ragdolls are beautiful cats, nice demiener. I have had 3 siameses' and they are wonderful. My first one lived to be 18 years old. She was a bitch!, My second one passed away 2 years ago from CHF. She was the most sweetest cat you would ever meet. and Now I have Ginger. She is people. She sits are the dinner table, she can carry on a conversation with you and she carries a little stuffed baby cat with her everywhere. I never seen anything like it.
But after getting a sphynx, I can't imagin ever owning another breed. They are so unique, so loving and special.
Somaili are beautiful too.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think you will need one of each...

Really, I am NO help. Jacky on here would tell you I am horrible. I love every single breed- every breed. Selkirks really have my heart now, but I am leery of HCM in the breed :(

I'd also love a Peterbald, but I think HCM is probably prevalent in that breed too and there are so few breeders that it's hard to trust anyone saying it's NOT in the breed. I love the curls- any curls- folded ears, curly ears, etc.

So I'm no help ;)

Bella07

Banned
Ragdolls are gorgeous! I fell in love with them after watching Cats 101. Perhaps I'll own a ragdoll in the future. I am still waiting to bring home my Sphynx---:Laugh: I used to own a Persian, and he lived to be 20 years old. He was the love of my life. How to choose between the 2 breeds? No idea! They both have completely different looks and personalities (as I have read.) Follow your heart. Let us know what you decide!

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think you will need one of each...

Really, I am NO help. Jacky on here would tell you I am horrible. I love every single breed- every breed. Selkirks really have my heart now, but I am leery of HCM in the breed :(

I'd also love a Peterbald, but I think HCM is probably prevalent in that breed too and there are so few breeders that it's hard to trust anyone saying it's NOT in the breed. I love the curls- any curls- folded ears, curly ears, etc.

So I'm no help ;)

:LOL:You AREN'T any help - you sound as bad as I am! I MAY end up with one of each! OMG

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We currently have 3 rescue DSHs and 1 Sphynx.
I want another Sphynx, after seeing them today at a show my husband is after a ragdoll!! We also got contacts today for both sphynx and ragdoll rescue!! LOL

All I can say is one of each is likely ;)

Ragdolls are stunning cats, & so affectionate! They are large, laid back gorgeous cats!! When I got my first raggie, I thought I would never own another breed...Then I got it in my head to get a Sphynx! I love them, too!:Dizzy:

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

021-7.jpg

I love the picture of your baby with the Ragdoll! Yes, the raggies SHED. But, since we have 10 dogs as well, I am doomed to leading a hairy life!! Really, the ragdolls need combed & brushed, & the Sphynx need bathed & ears cleaned, so one breed is not more work than the other. A Somali cat is a long-haired Abyssinian cat. They resemble little foxes - mine is so sweet!

Last edited:

Bella07

Banned
10 dogs? Wow, I admire you; 3 dogs are my maximum! Pictures please though! I think that we would all love to see all of your babies, cats and dogs. :Laugh:

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ragdolls are gorgeous! I fell in love with them after watching Cats 101. Perhaps I'll own a ragdoll in the future. I am still waiting to bring home my Sphynx---:Laugh: I used to own a Persian, and he lived to be 20 years old. He was the love of my life. How to choose between the 2 breeds? No idea! They both have completely different looks and personalities (as I have read.) Follow your heart. Let us know what you decide!

Ragdolls ARE gorgeous - seeing them in the flesh kind of takes your breath away! They are very different in every way to a Sphynx. Ragdolls are like beauty queens, & Sphynx are like an athletic cat, I think?

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
10 dogs? Wow, I admire you; 3 dogs are my maximum! Pictures please though! I think that we would all love to see all of your babies, cats and dogs. :Laugh:

I got a new camera for Christmas, so once I learn how to use it, I can't wait to post pictures of all my pets!!!!!!!!! The reason I ended up with 10 dogs is because I love so many breeds! We have 3 pugs, 3 French Bulldogs, 2 Chinese Crested Dogs, a Beagle, & a Great Dane! All are very different, very special, & very loved! So as you all can see, it will be hard for me to choose between a Sphynx or a Ragdoll!:Woo:

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
see, I am now kinda hooked lol, but I figure if I let the husband gets what he wants then I have leverage for when I want the next nakid :LOL::LOL:

HaHa- that sounds like a plan! I got my husband his beagle from the same breeder that co-bred the famous Uno, who won BOS at Westminster a couple of years ago. I found the breeder kind of by accident while doing a websearch for breeders of show beagles, & when I saw those pups' pictures, OMG. Even a non-breeder & non-show person knows the best of the best when you see it! The breeder had wanted to sell him to a show home, but after lots of pleading & begging, she let us buy him! He flew to us in Alabama from Utah. That was a real bargaining chip for me when I wanted to get my next pet!!!:ThumbsUp: I love the quote - "It is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission" :LOL::LOL::LOL::ThumbsUp:

want a sphynx

Lairian
My daughter has 2 ragdolls. They ARE beautiful! But I HATE the hair! WHich is why I chose a sphynx, plus the personality is much more what I wanted. When my daughter got her first one, I picked him up and he of course, went totally limp in my arms (hence the name ragdoll) and I said to her "Jillian, you got a defective cat, it has no bones in it!" Well, after another raggie for her, I love my fur-grandsons, but wouldn't trade my Scarlett NoHaira for all the money in the world!

I think the only other breed that could tempt me would be a savannah, love the looks of them! And since I couldn't handle the original, an african serval, a savannah would be next bext! :ThumbsUp:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My daughter has 2 ragdolls. They ARE beautiful! But I HATE the hair! WHich is why I chose a sphynx, plus the personality is much more what I wanted. When my daughter got her first one, I picked him up and he of course, went totally limp in my arms (hence the name ragdoll) and I said to her "Jillian, you got a defective cat, it has no bones in it!" Well, after another raggie for her, I love my fur-grandsons, but wouldn't trade my Scarlett NoHaira for all the money in the world!

I think the only other breed that could tempt me would be a savannah, love the looks of them! And since I couldn't handle the original, an african serval, a savannah would be next bext! :ThumbsUp:

We really want a Serval, but until we get a house and build an indoor/outdoor enclosure that will have to wait

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I always wanted a Maine Coon, but we can't because of the hair.

I vote for another Sphynx, not original but I can't imagine owning another breed now.

Last edited:
Back