Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ouch

treefoil

Lairian
image.jpg
Well this time the bathing was a bit painful...
Mine hate it so much... But this time oskar went to panic mode. He was quite behaving not moving to much. My sister helped me and lost grip, so he ran away - dripping wet. We were finished washing him, but i needed to get him into the towel. He thought he has to go back into the water. :-( poor baby

I tried to do the washing in the sink, but switched to a little baby tub since the borders are a bit higher. The steam keeps them warm for a longer time
I also try to keep it as fast as possible, talk to them, etc. but i need a second person to keep them in the tube, while im doing the washing.
I want them to like their bath. :-(

What temperature are you using?
Maybe its to hot/cold... I keep it at 38 degrees Celsius ;-P

Greets, lisa

Last edited:

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm having the same problem with Buster. He hates the bath and it makes it so much more difficult to bathe him. I'm going to try to buy a baby tub and see if it helps. People also mentioned exfoliating gloves to keep a better grip on the cat since they are slippery. I'm going to "watch" this thread because I need some answers too!

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
OUCH !!! That hurts just looking at it.
Hairy normal is ok with his bath, but for some Reason yesterday he went into panik mode too and scratched my Arm up trying to get out. Art who was washing him ( my husband ) and I held him , he said , he started to wash him down too early. I dont know we did it in the Sink and we use pretty warm but not too hot water and about neck deep. We will go to the Bathtub again next time to see or he is calmer then. Something freaked him out .
Funny thing is, when I wash dishes or rinse something out, he climbs in the sink and plays with the water. We try playing with him at bathtime, but he just tries to get out lately . He does not meow though. He is a funny character lately , it seems like he is in his terrible two's right now , things he liked before , he does not like all of a sudden.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got one of those in the same spot last week.... was holding Molly and I opened the freezer to get some salmon for her... little rat lost her mind and tried to climb me.

Have you tried doing their bath in a real tub, not just a baby tub? Mine do better in a deep tub. Freaked out in the sink.

treefoil

Lairian
Unfortunately we just have a shower cabin. They also find the bathroom quite spooky. We have to open the window daily to get rid of the steam, so they had not too much time for exploration. So the baby tube and the sink are my only options so far. I hope we will move by the end of the year :)
Well maybe its the problem of the water height? I fill the tube so the water reaches their belly... Maybe it should cover the shoulder too...

I want them to play at the sink too but since i was bathing them there once, they get panicky when they are on my arm and i move near it. Poor animal souls. I destroyed the sink game forever. :-(

I thougt about making some kind of water games for them to get used to water. There is one with treats on mini boats that float around in a bowl of water and the kids have to get their feet wet to get it.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
While I have NO experience whatsoever (except with my huge furry Norwegian who was a funny personality and thoroughly enjoyed the few baths I gave him), I have gleaned the following from reading these forums and some other sites:

(WARNING -- these are just rough notes, but I hope they help in some way)

Every 2 weeks or 3 (longer the better) to prevent oily Sphynx.

Shallow wash for paws weekly along with pawdicure.

AVOID shampoo in ears, eyes or nose.

Use a regular bathtub so cat won’t feel enclosed or claustrophobic.

Heat one of the cat’s drying towels in the dryer and grab immediately after bath is finished.

Fill bathtub FIRST before grabbing cat.

Water should come to chest or shoulder height.

Use bathtub toys to make fun!

Speak normally and calmly to the cat. Act as though this is something that simply must be done like feeding or any other regular cat activity.

If it helps, use a mat in the tub to prevent the cat from slipping around.

Have another towel or two (not heated) ready for drying the cat in the bathroom.

Have the amount of shampoo or D’Grease (small amount if D’Grease) in a cup within reach BEFORE putting the cat the in the bath.

Set near the tub several large cups or containers with warm water for rinsing.

Exfoliating gloves allow for gripping the cat, as well as for a thorough wash and rinse of the cat.

Use a baby washcloth to wash face first with plain water.

Shampoo and scrub back first, then behind ears, neck; everything except eyes, in ears and nose.

Wash the cat’s butt with a washcloth and NOT the exfoliating gloves.

Rinse THOROUGHLY to avoid orange skin. Consider another pair of exfoliating gloves for this task (rather than soapy gloves). Rinse, rinse, rinse.

After the rinse, dry the cat well in one towel, offering a treat while drying. Once reasonably dry, use the heated towel to bundle up the cat and further dry and soothe… maybe another treat.

While bundled and warm, clean ears and nails. Clip nails.

More treats!

treefoil

Lairian
Ha ha i really try to go with all those tips, but the videos and tips are not easy to follow if you have a cat thats wriggling an squirming and must be held by a second ;-)
I try to keep the bath short as possible. Sometimes they wont come out squeaky clean. It would be to much stress and i dont want them to have a bad feeling about us. Thats why i clean ears and nails a day later, when they are asleep on my lap. I also dont mind a brownish cat to much as long as they are not ruining my beddings.
I wash them every two weeks, since oskar is alittle pinky-piglet. Ill try to reduce it further.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Toby did NOT like Spa Day today in the kitchen sink. We will try the bath tub next time.

Today 's set up in the kitchen sink:

Left side of sink I put in the drain plug, covered bottom of sink with two hand towels and put in a squirt of shampoo and hardly any warm water just to soak and cover the bottom of the sink. Note I am left handed.

Shampoo with cap open at the left of the sink.
Towels to the left of the sink.

8 Containers ( I used cleaned quart size Chinese soup food containers because they are flexible) prefilled with warm water to use for rinsing. I kept these on the right side of the double sink.

Bag of treats opened

I put on exfoliating gloves, picked up Toby and placed him in sink - telling him he will be so handsome--- Hah glad I had gloves on!

He complained and did a low growl.. He stood up and tried to leave. I told him no - this is handsome Spa Day time!

I talked to him firmly , washed and rinsed him. Took off gloves. (Will take them off before rinsing next time- the gloves stay very soapy) He was not a happy kitty.

I placed him on the towel and dried him on the floor giving him treats and talked to him.

All done and off and played with Da Bird.. He forgot all about Handsome Spa Day!

Sorry no pics of his Spa Day -- I did not have enough hands to hold squirmy Toby cat :)

Next month we are trying the bath tub
He was rehomed to us and she did not give spa day details..Now I know why.. He growls

Yoda mom

Staff member
Xandria, lol I used to live closer.. In Seattle .. My boss made his own labelled wine!
We are in Florida now and I still miss that wine we got every XmasXmas

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sure, I'd love to help. ;-)

The only experience I have though is with my former Norwegian Forest cat, who I managed to get to love baths. I'm hoping I have the same bath whispering abilities with my future nakeds!!

Or maybe it's just the wine that makes everything go smoother!

chantelnikole

Lairian
I take my jamison into the shower with me sense right now or sink has been broken we have no bath tub. I honestly was scared how he would react but he has been pretty good. Cries at first but then just climbs up to my shoulder and hangs out. I don't have the water hit him directly, i just use a wash cloth and my hands. Can't wait to try the sink though maybe he won't cry at all. :)

TyrionAndSasha

Lairian
My boy deals with it fine. My girl hates it, and it's the only time I hear her hiss ever. I just go as fast as I can with her. I usually try to get it all done in about 2 mins max. Then I give her a treat while drying her. Bath tub is probably the best bet. And, figure out a good grip to get on them. I put my hand around their neck/shoulders, and use the slippery bottom of the tub to help her from escaping. And, I have the tub full and luke warm before I bring them in. I use my elbow, as the breeder said to, to gage the temp.

Back