Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Our new baby Rico Suave!

ricosuave

Lairian
I am a proud new mom to my first Sphynx cat. He is a gray tux boy and is 5 months old now. We got him 3 months ago. He is the absolute sweetest, most affectionate cat I have ever had. I had dreamed of having a hairless for years, and finally, my dream came true...I wish the story ended there. However.......it's been a bumpy road ever since I brought him home.

He has had loose stool since the day we got him. At first I wasn't alarmed, since his environment had changed. When I saw blood in the stool, I rushed him to the vet, where he was dx'ed with Coccidia. We did the round of Albon, plus added Diatamaceaous Earth powder and probiotics to his food (Royal Canin which is what the breeder had fed him). The diharea continued, so back to the vet, where she found Giardia. So he was on Metrodiazone for that. Still no change in his stool. Next fecal sample showed the Coccidia was back. So another 21 days on Albon. Finally, the most recent stool sample showed Roundworms. So we wormed him. In between all this, we have switched his food to a high quality organic food, Orijen dry kibble. Still no change. Stool still soft. The vet said she is worried it's FIP. So I have been sooo scared we are going to lose him. But the more research I'm doing, I'm finding that Sphynx have sensitive tummys. I'm wondering if possibly, we just have to keep searching for a food that agrees with him?

He doesn't vomit, has tons of energy, and eats and drinks a lot. I do notice that he has horrible gas quite frequently. And sometimes we hear his tummy making noises. I'm considering switching him to a food called Prowl. I would love to hear suggestions from anyone who maybe has had experience with similar digestive issues with their Sphynx babies. Thanks!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
First off welcome to you and Ricosuave we are glad you have found us!
Second sorry for all the stuff he is going through, sure sounds like a rough road. Being that the vet has already diagnosed 3 things back and fourth I would say no it is not the food, but at this point could be the meds. If I where you I would test for everything your vet suggests. But I just wonder why everything was not found the first time and you keep going in circles? If it where me I would seek a second opinion and pin point the true problem and treat everything all at once.
Please keep us posted.

ricosuave

Lairian
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure why we keep going in circles either. We keep doing the meds, then bringing a stool sample in for the vet to check. We have done 5 total now. I know Giardia can be tricky to find. Obviously, he came to us from the breeder with all 3 issues. I have considered finding another vet, but we are taking him to the "best" place in our city, which treats only cats. I forgot to add that we are waiting on one more test. It's a very in depth fecal sample which has to be sent to a lab. We should have the results back in about a week.

So, is it possible, that he might be ok after all these meds have run their course, mabye it will just take some time for his bowels to recover? I'm continuing probiotics in his food.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nudie and I have been down a very similar road since we brought her home: loose stools with blood, diarrhea etc. They tested and it came up giardia so we treated with metronidazole and it didn't work so we did another round and still nothing. After all this I was frustrated and just wanted my baby to be healthy, so I did some research and found a "Full Fecal PCR Panel" (a very detailed microscope test that will determine over 12 types of internal parasites evn the hard to find ones) and had my vet do that (it is expensive but worth it). Finally we found that she had giardia, tritrichomonas and feline corona. We just finished our new meds and her stool is great + she has alot more energy. We do another PCR panel retest in a few days to make sure the parasites are all gone.
During all of this, I never switched her food because that's just one more variable I didn't need to wonder about.
Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair!

I don't have any advice as I've never gone through this before but I hope your answers come soon and your baby gets to feeling better!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. Poor Rico sounds like he has a lot going on with his digestive track right now. I would try to avoid changing his food again until all the fecal tests and antibiotics are done. I wish you both a speedy recovery. Poop issues are no fun.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, some great advice here, keep him on one food until this is all settled down. It sounds like Sphynxie story is very similar to yours. Welcome to Sphynxlair by the way!:ThumbsUp:

Welcome to the Lair!!!! I am sorry to hear your Rico is having so much trouble. I know that Orijen gives my Gable horrible gas and the most foul stools. I currently feed a raw diet which took care fo stinky smelly stools and gas. I do agree however that until you have the tests done you should stay with one food. If you dont get any results with this vet you may need to get a second opinion.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair....I love your baby's name.... it's also the ringtone song for my best friend--is my age showing?? haha Love that song!

Sorry I don't have any answers for you but I hope Rico feels better very soon!!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to you and Rico. You've already gotten the best advice out there. Good luck getting his bugs cleared up.