Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Our Rescue Girls

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Everyone,

Figured I'd share pics of the two rescues we took in this week...

These girls are five years old, sisters, and are spayed/declawed (all four paws- yeesh :Angry: ) and supposedly, they were a kid's cat and when the kid moved off to college, the parents got tired of taking care of them and dropped them off at a kill shelter.

The shelter housed them in between two cages full of barking dogs- the girls were petrified and luckily, a rescue was called- because the shelter workers wouldn't even TOUCH the girls because they were hissing and growling (yes, my gosh- four paw declawed hissing and growling cats are FEROCIOUS! Wouldn't you be stressed out being pulled from the only home you knew and dropped off at a shelter in between dogs???).

The rescue lady contacted me because she had never handled this breed before and she felt she was a bit in over her head. I drove out and picked them up and now they are going through the process of being dewormed and evaluated before they go to a wonderful new home- whomever that will be :)

I am calling the one girl Banshee because she is very vocal about her likes and dislikes and the quieter girl is Ghost. They are soooo pretty in person- photos do NOT do them justice!

But it always amazes me how easily people will shell out a LARGE amount of cash and then dump their animals years later... A local cat rescue, a no-kill shelter, etc, would have taken in these girls- I have no doubt- but by the time they were dumped at the kill shelter, they had very limited options and I think they were pretty luck to be pulled!

I KNOW there have been homes in Utah, California, and Southern Nevada looking here for rescues- so these two girls are just waiting for the right home to come along!

Attachments

• Banshee2.jpg
    Banshee2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 46

Gizzymom

Banned
They are so beautiful!!! I can't believe people can just dump animals when they don't want or have time for them anymore... Makes my blood boil:Angry:

I'm so glad they have a good foster mommy and I hope they find a good home soon... they have been through so much!

:Smile:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor girls, I'd be hissing and growling too. I hope they find a wonderful forever home. Thank you for giving them that chance. :)

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There's a member here from California who wanted to adopt a sphynx badly...maybe she'll be willing to drive to Nevada to adopt these two??? These girls would be SO worth the long drive to pick them up!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They definitely would be worth a drive- after all, we actually did a 9 hour trip to pick them up from the lady who pulled them from the shelter! My preference is homes that know Sphynx- OBVIOUSLY- and a quieter home because they are a little older at 5 and they seem to prefer to snuggle and hang out versus running around like crazy... Savannahs. LOL.

I am very charmed by both girls, but must steel myself against falling too in love!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They are such beautiful girls. I'm so thankful they were pulled from the kill shelter. I know you will find them loving home(s).

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is amazing. I don't understand why someone would drop off their childrens pets at a shelter. Much less a kill shelter. My mother hates cats with all her life. But she would never do that. She would feet it and clean out his litter box but never drop him off at a shelter. Everyone knows somebody who likes cats and would take them in, even if they weren't sphynxes.

Bella07

Banned
Oh my goodness, who in the world would drop those two gorgeous girls off a high kill shelter? What is wrong with people.....None the less, your two rescue girls are stunning. Thank You so much for helping save them. I hope they find a wonderful home together, where they can be loved and spoiled like they deserve.

Bella07

Banned
I keep trying to tell her that I think they already ARE at their forever home! :Sweet-angel:

:LOL: I think your right!

(By the way, do you have any updated pictures of LJ? I'm dying to know what he looks like now that he has grown up even more! He was so darn adorable and gorgeous when he was a little baby with your other little sphynx kittens!)

ktate88

Banned
Oh those girls are very cute!! I am sure in person they are even more stunning :)

It sounds like you may be getting attached to them...you did make a 9 hour drive to get them... ;)

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ooooh, LJ- did you ask about? OF COURSE, I have new pics of LJ!

So here are pics of LJ in his new home- he is doing wonderful and is very very very spoiled.

And here is my NEW Savannah baby, Bug- once again, a litter of one- I don't know- LOL. He is a lower generation Savannah, so he will be *knock on wood* a show kitty and possibly a stud if he develops well as he gets a bit older.

You might note a reverse situation going on from LJ and his naked Momma- yes, that is Annie AND naked babies that aren't her own! I am fostering those two for my Mom's cattery because her Queen wasn't producing enough milk :)

Attachments

• LJRes2.jpg
    LJRes2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 20
  • resizedLJ.jpg
    resizedLJ.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Bug13.jpg
    Bug13.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 20
  • motherhoodsucks.jpg
    motherhoodsucks.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 24

Bella07

Banned
Aaaaawwww! LJ has become so very handsome and grown up. And Bug!!! I love his little face. So precious. And then Bug and his "sisters." That photo has to be the best! I love it all. Thank You for sharing! :ThumbsUp:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You are very welcome :) They are all so very precious to me- each and every little one- even if they don't come from my crew. I'm not sure if I ever posted pictures, but a looong time ago, when my girls first had babies, I was still doing a lot of rescue and I was handed over tiny black and white moo babies- they were probably 2 weeks old. I had these fuzzy b/w babies in with the naked babies- it was sooo cute. They would all nurse off of my Sphynx just like LJ! (In fact, I am pretty sure it was the same Momma). Of course, I stopped doing outside rescue because I became paranoid of kitty diseases and health problems, but it was a sight to see!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You are very welcome :) They are all so very precious to me- each and every little one- even if they don't come from my crew. I'm not sure if I ever posted pictures, but a looong time ago, when my girls first had babies, I was still doing a lot of rescue and I was handed over tiny black and white moo babies- they were probably 2 weeks old. I had these fuzzy b/w babies in with the naked babies- it was sooo cute. They would all nurse off of my Sphynx just like LJ! (In fact, I am pretty sure it was the same Momma). Of course, I stopped doing outside rescue because I became paranoid of kitty diseases and health problems, but it was a sight to see!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for posting these pictures. They are all so beautiful. I especially love the last one. What a good momma to love and care for them all.

Bella07

Banned
Well I must say, it seems you have the perfect mix of the bald and those with spots in your home! Makes me want to foster another litter...I haven't had kittens in my house for about 8 months. I'm really craving some kitty kisses!

susi794

Staff member
LJ and Bug are gorgeous and Annie is too--but even more beautful in her mothering instinct. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Bug is a charmer ;) When I was taking photos of Neala daily, I realized how much people love watching kittens- so I started doing daily pics of Bug. He's slated to either stay with me OR go up to my dearest friend who just lost her Serval stud last month :( He was the Daddy to two of our own SVs and it was heartbreaking!

Gizzymom

Banned
Bug is a charmer ;) When I was taking photos of Neala daily, I realized how much people love watching kittens- so I started doing daily pics of Bug. He's slated to either stay with me OR go up to my dearest friend who just lost her Serval stud last month :( He was the Daddy to two of our own SVs and it was heartbreaking!

Just curious... can you keep servals around any other cats? Or do they have to be caged? Not sure if I would trust a wild animal...:Surprise::Dizzy:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
'Wild animal' is a relative term,though. I can tell you that I'd prefer to enter an enclosure with a bottle raised, socialized Serval anyday over a feral cat that has never had exposure to a human being! So which is a wild animal? The Serval or the feral?

Servals used in breeding programs are from captive born and raised parents. Typically, they are pulled at a young age and bottle fed in order to create a very strong bond with humans and they are pretty spoiled critters.

I can say- I think the male Servals are more trustworthy then the females. The females that I have known in person and online seem to be a bit more predatorily- the males are more easy going.

The rule of thumb is to socialize, socialize, socialize, AND to raise your girls up with the Serval. This boy that passed away- he was good to any girl that came to him- whether he was raised with them or not. ALL MALES are not this way!

This is why an F1 breeding program in Savannahs is an extremely costly and risky thing to embark on. ALSO- some Servals LOOOVE their girls, but never LOOOVE their girls ;) So you can have a gorgeous expensive pet that never produces! And you'll still need to get another stud!

Back