Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Our trip to the vet

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
First off our vet is hilarious, asked if he could have one. I told him we may rent one out when we get Lyle :Laugh: He said they have a great disposition, and that they weren't scared at all (no dilated pupils). They purred the whole time:ThumbsUp:

Lungs, ears and HEART look and sound great!!!!!! Oz has some red spots and the vet said they are ingrown hairs, we got special shampoo for that. Oh and he only has one testical:LOL:

All in all it was a great visit.... it will cost a bit more for Ozs neuter (2 surgeries):ThumbsDown: but it is better than having complications later.

Back in July for rabies and I told him I wanna keep an eye on their hearts. He is also going to help us figure out the optimal whole prey diet:Laugh:

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would think since he only has 1 testicle and it would be 1/2 the cost!:LOL: Or did the other one just never descended? So the extract cost? Awww.... poor boy! He'll be fine...

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Its double the cost cause the undescended testicle will be up inside, so they have to go in like a dog neuter and make an incision in the abdomen instead of just a "cut squeeze, pop and tie" in the scrotum.

However the testicle may still descend over the next few months....so might be a regular neuter still if you are lucky!!

Glad you like your vet and have a good relationship! Thats very important!!

Lovely kitties....:)

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would think since he only has 1 testicle and it would be 1/2 the cost!:LOL: Or did the other one just never descended? So the extract cost? Awww.... poor boy! He'll be fine...

I wish!!! He said he pushed around and usually it would still pop out even if it hadn't decended yet.... he called it something specific and told me I couldn't breed him, not that I care. I am just glad they are healthy!!!!

emilyisasecret

Lairian
I wish!!! He said he pushed around and usually it would still pop out even if it hadn't decended yet.... he called it something specific and told me I couldn't breed him, not that I care. I am just glad they are healthy!!!!

Its called a cryptorchid! lol I just like calling it a uni-ball.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

The correct term is "Monorchid" (one testicle). But a lot of vet staff use the term "Cryptorchid" (two testicles not descended) as a general term for both conditions.

Adventures of A Naked Cat

emilyisasecret

Lairian
Oh sorry! Looks like we posted at the same time.....dont want it to look like I saw your post and am "correcting" you.....LOL....since I said "the correct term is".
Makes me sound like Im being snotty to you!!!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

No way! now I can sound all fancy-pantsy when we have another pet come in with only one testicle.
:BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the vet visit went well :ThumbsUp: We had a dog once with the same problem accept the vet I used then was a jerk and never checked it before I brought him in for his neuter. I kept calling to see if he was finished and they kept telling me he is still under there is a problem and will call me back, ok well like 4 hours later they call and tell me he is fine but they had to explore to try to find the missing part (the one they never found) that instead of $250 it was now $800 :Angry: I was a bit upset I guess more so by the way it was told to me. Needless to say we no longer use that vet.

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like the vet visit went well :ThumbsUp: We had a dog once with the same problem accept the vet I used then was a jerk and never checked it before I brought him in for his neuter. I kept calling to see if he was finished and they kept telling me he is still under there is a problem and will call me back, ok well like 4 hours later they call and tell me he is fine but they had to explore to try to find the missing part (the one they never found) that instead of $250 it was now $800 :Angry: I was a bit upset I guess more so by the way it was told to me. Needless to say we no longer use that vet.

Id be mad too!

susi794

Staff member
My Moody was a cryptorchid--or monorchid if you will--my vet used the term cryptorchid and this is the first time I have heard the term monorchid, but it makes perfect sense. Anyway, you can breed a monorchid cat--my vet told me he might throw more kits with the issue, but Moody fathered many litters, never threw a single kit with a problem of any kind, and was the best daddy ever. My vet did say that the undescended testicle could eventually become cancerous, so that I would want to neuter him before he was older--like around ten. When I had him neutered, the vet charged me $150. rather than the $45- $65 he usually charged because the surgery was an abdominal one.

Here he is with one of his litters--he was a "hands on" daddy and LOVED his babies. He took care of them, groomed them, guarded them, snuggled and nuzzled them. He still takes care of new kits.....loves them to pieces. He is a wonderful daddy eventhough he can't have babies anymore. I have never seen such a loving boy.
So to say you can't breed a cryptorchid is just not correct.

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thats great news! Oz's neuter will be more expensive, because he only has 1 testicle?

Gee, what if he had 3? I guess the price would be tripled?:Dizzy:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
My Moody was a cryptorchid--or monorchid if you will--my vet used the term cryptorchid and this is the first time I have heard the term monorchid, but it makes perfect sense. Anyway, you can breed a monorchid cat--my vet told me he might throw more kits with the issue, but Moody fathered many litters, never threw a single kit with a problem of any kind, and was the best daddy ever. My vet did say that the undescended testicle could eventually become cancerous, so that I would want to neuter him before he was older--like around ten. When I had him neutered, the vet charged me $150. rather than the $45- $65 he usually charged because the surgery was an abdominal one.

Here he is with one of his litters--he was a "hands on" daddy and LOVED his babies. He took care of them, groomed them, guarded them, snuggled and nuzzled them. He still takes care of new kits.....loves them to pieces. He is a wonderful daddy eventhough he can't have babies anymore. I have never seen such a loving boy.
So to say you can't breed a cryptorchid is just not correct.

what a proud papa!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So happy your visit to the vet went well. It is always so interesting to hear how everyone's babies are and I just learned something on top of it! This is a great forum.

Back