Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Outdoor. Safety

twizzler

Lairian
hi. I'm new to Sphinx lair. I have a 1 year old that was given to me as a gift. I just love him to bits!
I've had him ID Tattooed, although in retrospect I think I would have preferred a chip but it wasn't offered.
My Sphinx, Siris, keeps trying and occassionally is successful of getting outside.
I've been able to catch him so far.

My question is, is there something I can put on him to keep him from getting sun burned if he actually gets out.?

My intention is to never let him out. I'm afraid he might get hurt, or stolen

Thanks,
Lisa

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Unfortunately there is no safe sunscreen that can be used on cats. The ingredients can be harmful if ingested, and you know how they always clean themselves. Best to try training your baby not to go near the door when you come and go.

Patti

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@twizzler hello lisa, welcome to sphynxlair for you and Siris. So Siris is an adventures kind of guy:). Is it possible for you to go out with him with a harness and leash? Or maybe you have friends/family with a garden surrounded by big fences where he can safely play outside.
My boys love to play in the garden so I searched for safe sun protection. I did find a website specially for sphynx with sphynx products. They say they have a suncream that doesn't harm cats when they lick it. But I googled all the ingredients and it turned out that the ingredients could harm the cats. So there are no safe sun protections creams unfortunally.

As you allready sunburn is not the only risk when Siris runs off so hopefully you can train him (with treats, canned air or a waterspray) to not run off.

Natasja

Yoda mom

Staff member
@twizzler , Great advice given-
He is a cutie! Looking forward to pics!
I would add to train him like a dog-
Pick "a spot " on the cat tree , chair etc away from doors -and put treats on it when you leave and come home-
They learn fast

Open doors very slowly with foot near bottom to "sho0 "ah ah" or even the canned air (like you clean a key board with ) sprayed but not directly on cat

**Walk out doors back wards slowly

Put up a baby gate that will give you a few more "seconds " to get in and continue training to "a spot"

I adopted a Sphynx with a history of escaping at this prior home - lots of redirecting training here

I use the garage door as much as possible to go outside or leave the house with the garage door closed as I leave.
I also train him that he only goes to one place to get on his leash and harness-
He can scream all he wants at the door- he is not going outside period.
He is persistent and tries to open the door latch

I bought a light weight garden scroll gate for my French door for kitty training -
I just lean it up at the door and with a flip of the wrist I can go in and out
Without escapees
Best $16 I spent for kitty safety/training
I got it at Home Depot - you can check your local home improvement store- it was in the outdoor garden section here
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Ba...l-Summer-Scroll-Fence-Panel-860220/205371780/

Please please by all means train him to stay inside .. No free roaming ..He is counting on you to be his protector

Attachments

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome. Waving at you from Vancouver!

The advice above is great.

I limit Max to 15 minutes of sun exposure at a time. I also ordered a UV shirt, which should arrive any day now. Preventing escape, however, is essential.

BTW, is your Siris neutered?

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello, I also say hello from Vancouver! I often use a laser pointer to redirect when coming and going. It works great. I like the treat idea too. I also find just having a shelf for the kitties next to the door helps. Frida loves to be up high so she goes up without hesitation and then can't just dash out. I made mine. It is also a shoe rack so it is double functional!
Frida also has a few clothes that are very lightweight and help to keep the sun off. She doesn't often wear them though as she prefers to be naked. We are never in the sun for more than 15 min and she has never been sunburned, I would worry more about the possibility of being lost or kidnapped. If you take him for walks starting from your house he should at least always know his way home. Put him on a leash with a secure harness and let him explore at his own pace. Don't worry soon it will be too cold for him to even think of going outside, at least that is how Frida is ;)