Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

theors01

Lairian
Kato gets very active around 9am and 6pm and has a lot of energy. He is indoor only.

Should I take him on walks to burn off some of his energy? What leash recommendations? Do I NEED rabbies vaccination? (I'd rather not but will if necessary)

Thanks!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm a strictly inside girl.
I have had the worst possible experience with letting a baby outside and will never do it again!

I know a lot of other member let their little ones outside and have never had any issues. I'm not not willing to risk it again ..

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't let Izmae go outside neither. I don't want to take a chance and she contact germs from some other animal.
You can wear them down inside by playing with them. Da bird is a favorite for many cats. But, anything they like to play with.
Have a play session or two daily for 30 mins or so.

Last edited:

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Don't think it is a good way to burn off energy... from my experience they don't walk freely on a harness like a dog would, so it doesn't use up much energy.

Like @Hairless Blessing suggested, I would also recommend 30 mins of da bird to wear him out. Works for us :)

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My cats have an outside area they can go into whenever they want, its part of my back yard, but it is secured so that they can't get out of it so I know they are safe! My Bengal sits out there quite a lot, but my sphynx isn't bothered he plays inside. Sometimes in the summer he goes out for a roll around but not for long. He has a feeding ball that he spends a lot of time batting round, it's good exercise for him and he is interested in it because it involves food! He also likes to catch a ball.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In my experience, outside time doesn't do anything to burn their energy. If it is something you want to try, I would make sure that you have a proper and snug fitting harness and leash. You can't put their leash on a collar like a dog. The weather also needs to be warm, but not so hot that they will sun burn.

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't walk my sphynxies but we have a catio. They just sleep out there or watch the birds, I have cat tres and lcat walks for them out there. I also have cat walks through out the house. That is were they seem to burn off their energy. If you can imagine 4 sphynxies running on the cat walks in the house. It sounds like a herd of elephants.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We take Cleopatra and sometimes Marcus out for walks. With the stroller, it isn't to burn up energy, but it does give a change of scenery. Cleo absolutely loves her walks outside. She wears her harness and leash and spends time riding in the stroller and walking on her leash. If you do take your cat outside, make sure that he is leash and harness trained, all vaccinations are current and watch for large dogs. I do find that Cleo settles down after her walks, but she also gets into a routine where she expects to go walking. If she doesn't get her walks (or car rides) regularly, she can be a real pain in the neck!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Kato gets very active around 9am and 6pm and has a lot of energy. He is indoor only.

Should I take him on walks to burn off some of his energy? What leash recommendations? Do I NEED rabbies vaccination? (I'd rather not but will if necessary)

Thanks!
As others have said, you probably will not get much of a work out on a leash walk, the best thing to use is a harness for your sphynx. Most local ordinances require a rabies shot regardless of your cat being indoors at all times. If you are going to take him out I would be sure all vaccinations are up to date. Also, check your local laws on the rabies vaccination. here are some pictures below of Leo and Athena outdoors on a leash with a harness, a video as well. :)

Back