Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Over eating syphnx cat

debbie morgan

Lairian
My poor little Luna was sick for the first 8 weeks of me having her
She had middle ear infection and a burst eardrum and skin allergies....
After a lot of medication and steroids she seems to be on the mend

When I got her she had just been fixed ( ex breeder with only 1 litre)
But she was only 2.8 kg in size ...small little thing!

Anyway three months later she is big 4.4kg

She looks happy and healthy but looks like a full grown cat with big belly

I’m only feeding her kangeroo in the morning and evening and a bit at lunch...small portions (and a few bikkis left out)

She seems to always be starving and she gulps her food down in seconds

I’m concerned about her weight

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She looks to be a normal weight to me. Though, I would suggest adding a few different new proteins out for variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
She looks great ! My tiny girl has a similar lookimg belly - spayed after one litter too.
Thanks for sharing adorable pics! Hope her ear is doing better
Bless you for all the love and care

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think she looks pretty good too. I found with mind that under a year old, they would get a little "potbelly" after eating.

I also agree, that a variety of proteins is good.

And I love the photos! Thank you for sharing.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with everyone else that she looks very healthy to me and I wouldn't be too worried. If you are afraid she is eating too fast so isn't feeling full straight away you could try a puzzle/slow feeder bowl to make her slow down a little bit when it comes to meals. But if she is anything like my boy she just loves food (Orpheus inhales in dinner like he hasn't eaten in months) and definitely try a few other proteins to keep her interested and healthy :) but she is a gorgeous girl and looks flvery healthy to me

debbie morgan

Lairian
I’m worried cause she is so heavy
And she was so small when I got her

Now she is a fatty

Can’t diet her as she is a hound and eats anything in site
She has doubled in weight in two months

My vet even said she was over weight

But she is playful and happy so I suppose that’s something :)

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definitely if she is happy than your main job is done haha if the vet hasn't said that it's a concern then I would maybe just take small measures to maybe stabilise her weight. The slow feeder or puzzle feeders (we have one by Catit for orpheus or you can make some with cardboard there are videos online) might be good even for her bickies during the day as she can just inhale them or getting one of the automatic feeders so she can't just keep eating when she wants to.
It's expensive but a one fast cat wheel might be a good option as well so she can exercise and run so even if she is a big eater she is expending more energy throughout the day.

debbie morgan

Lairian
Thanks for all the feedback

I have just purchased the food puzzle thing off eBay

I think maybe it’s cause when I got her she was just recently fixed and very sick
And then on steroids for 6-8 weeks

I defo over fed her at that point as she was so hungry....wasn’t even sure she was gonna make it at one point so figured I would just deal with her eating if she did!

She must of just put on weight over night as she was so small before!

How much is the norm to feed a sphinx cat kangeroo mince

Have to be careful what I give her as she has food allergy.
She would eat anything u gave her :)

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No definitely understandable you want her healthy and happy to start. I don't feed raw so I can help too much on that but I have read you want to feed 3&4% of their body weight roughly and have read people usually feed between 7-10oz (190-280g) of raw split into usually 3 meals depending on the weight of their cat but I'm no expert on raw diet so hopefully someone else can chime in. For comparison we feed Orpheus 2 wet meals a day at 3oz (85g) and he has biscuits out during the day usually eats about 1-2 small scoops a day and if I gave him more food he would eat it he's a bottomless pit most days

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feed Ellie 3 ounces, twice daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro