Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Over grooming problems....

Cendalla

Lairian
Hey everyone. I have a little girl who will be a year old in April. She eats well, baths well, and is generally all round awesomeness! But...when she gets into her grooming fits its like she goes into a trance and stays there. She licks anything and everything she can. Blankets. Her sweaters. Me. Her. She licks sore spots on her legs. Its not all the time. She'll heal up. But eventually will do it again. What can I do to stop her? Is there anything safe to put on the ouchies? or will she just like it off?

She also suckles herself at night too...I fall asleep at night to wet nursing sounds. She never hurts herself doing that though. Just when she has a cleaning attack!

I'd appreciate any comments, advice, questions, or concerns.
-Erin & Scully

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Since you mentioned that sores develop from over grooming, this sounds like a true compulsive issue and I would see your vet about it. We have seen a few cats that have had an issue with sucking their tail until it was raw and over grooming falls into the same category. Your vet will prescribe a med to help control this behavior. You are smart to get this under control as soon as possible. Please keep us updated.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hey everyone. I have a little girl who will be a year old in April. She eats well, baths well, and is generally all round awesomeness! But...when she gets into her grooming fits its like she goes into a trance and stays there. She licks anything and everything she can. Blankets. Her sweaters. Me. Her. She licks sore spots on her legs. Its not all the time. She'll heal up. But eventually will do it again. What can I do to stop her? Is there anything safe to put on the ouchies? or will she just like it off?

She also suckles herself at night too...I fall asleep at night to wet nursing sounds. She never hurts herself doing that though. Just when she has a cleaning attack!

I'd appreciate any comments, advice, questions, or concerns.
-Erin & Scully

A few of my nakeds suckle still and they are older than your little girl. My daughter also has a few cats and one of hers suckles as well. One of my boys that still suckles grooms himself A LOT, but has never caused any type of sore.
Because you haven't posted a photo of your little girl's sores, we don't know how severe the problem is. There are ointments and creams you can put on her sores to help heal them. They only thing is, she will still lick them off I'm sure. Non of them are toxic though. Your vet would be your best bet to help heal these sores and depending on how severe they are, he may want to give her an antibiotic as well.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would make a Vet appointment. He can help and prescribe
a ointment that will clear it up. When, you catch her licking ans suckling
move her head. If she starts again, move her head again, and say no.
But, you need to try to keep her from licking all the ointment off
or it won't help her.

Cendalla

Lairian
Thank you all so much. I have left a message with my vet (He won't get back to me till Monday). It has been pretty cold here and I have been keeping her in a sweater. Its long and stops her from suckling at night leaving her with just her back leg available to lick. I cranked the heat up and took her sweater off. I'm hoping its just a situation I've created (as horrible as that would make me feel). I will keep everyone up to date.

Thank you all again!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you all so much. I have left a message with my vet (He won't get back to me till Monday). It has been pretty cold here and I have been keeping her in a sweater. Its long and stops her from suckling at night leaving her with just her back leg available to lick. I cranked the heat up and took her sweater off. I'm hoping its just a situation I've created (as horrible as that would make me feel). I will keep everyone up to date.

Thank you all again!

@Cendalla don't blame yourself at all. You did nothing to cause her oral fixation and her sores. I was going to tell you to put clothing on her to prevent her from grooming herself a lot, but I forgot to mention it in my previous post to you. But I now see that you were a smart mommy and put a sweater on her. :)

After the weekend, let us know what the vet gives your little girl.

By the way, are you bathing her with a very gentle type of wash and rinsing her very, very well?

Cendalla

Lairian
@Cendalla don't blame yourself at all. You did nothing to cause her oral fixation and her sores. I was going to tell you to put clothing on her to prevent her from grooming herself a lot, but I forgot to mention it in my previous post to you. But I now see that you were a smart mommy and put a sweater on her. :)

After the weekend, let us know what the vet gives your little girl.

By the way, are you bathing her with a very gentle type of wash and rinsing her very, very well?

I've been using Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. She doesn't love baths but she doesn't fight me either. I've never tried to pre treat her with coconut oil before bath-time but I'm going to try on her next bath night.

She seems to be leaving her ouchies alone so far today but night is when she really wants to clean....

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've been using Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. She doesn't love baths but she doesn't fight me either. I've never tried to pre treat her with coconut oil before bath-time but I'm going to try on her next bath night.

She seems to be leaving her ouchies alone so far today but night is when she really wants to clean....

I used to use Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo until I realized that that's a shampoo for hair and our sphynx don't have that much hair and it left a residue on my nakeds. It was difficult to completely rinse them clean when I used that shampoo. Then I started using Johnson and Johnson Baby Bath which cleans them well and is gentle AND it completely rinses off them without a great deal of effort! They used to be more oily and sticky when I used the Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo.
I also used to use the coconut oil just prior to bathing them and I did find that it took all their dirt off rather quickly, but it too left a bit of a residue even after bathing them in the sink. In turn, they were much dirtier the day after their baths. For now just maybe try the Johnson and Johnson Baby Bath and see what happens, but rinse very well, dry her and put clothing on her afterwards.

Let us know how that baby bath works for your little girl compared to the shampoo if you try it.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you. I was noticing that her tummy creases were particularly hard to get clean.

@Cendalla I first use an exfoliating glove that I bought in Bed, Bath & Beyond with the baby bath, then I go over everywhere with a human baby's wash cloth. I don't scrub hard at all with the glove and you shouldn't use the glove on any of her sores. But if her belly is free of sores and its hard to get clean, you should try the glove (but be gentle and don't keep going over the dirty areas). You don't want to make her irritated on her belly.
I find two of my nakeds that are on the heavy side have the dirtiest bellies between the creases and the fact that it's always leaning on things all over the house, their bellies are dirtier than the others in my house. And my house is pretty clean all the time, so go figure! LOL

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Great advice already given so I have nothing to add. Just wanted to say I hope you can find out what is causing this issue with Scully. Take care.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Great advice given. Please keep us updated and wishing you luck with your vet visit. And welcome!