Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Overfeeding?

Can overfeeding cause loose stools? Our breeder instructed us to free feed all day so we just left a big bowl of food out all the time. But the back of the royal canin kitten bag says for her weight it should be 3/4 Cup daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sphynx kittens can be bottomless pits! They often times eat much much more then the average cat. Especially, at the kitten stage. How long have the loose stools been going on for? Are they all the time or every once in a while? Has your vet done a stool sample to determine that their isn't a different underline cause?

She has had the loose stools since shortly after we got her 5 weeks ago. The vet had put her on metronidazole for bacteria for a week and she got better but the day after she finished the meds they were loose again. We did two stools samples both negative for parasites. We are incorporating nature balance duck and pea formula into her food for a bit to try and firm them up a bit.

Was she on Royal Kitten at the breeder? My kitten is 17 weeks and free feeds Royal and now gets boiled chicken breast in the evening. My 7 year old decided she liked the Royal kitty formula better than her food and she got explosive gassy stinky ass diarrhea. It was pretty much just water. It was so bad in 3 days she was at the vet getting fluids and was put on metronidazole cream as well. No more sneaking Royal kitty for her. It's just too rich for her system. When we got home I fed her small portions of very moist boiled chicken breast for 3 days nothing else. No treats, nothing, so her gut could heal. Her stool firmed up in about 3 days and I started mixing dry into the boiled chicken and now she is free feeding her dry again with both of them getting boiled chicken in the evening.

Yea that’s what the breeder told us she’d been giving her. Plus friskies pate and shreds twice a day but we even stopped the wet food all together (besides when she was taking the antibiotic because it’s the only way she’d keep it down). She’s the one who told us about the duck and pea formula too so we will see if it helps. I’m afraid maybe she’s getting too much protein and not digesting it enough?

Yoda mom

Staff member
The duck and pea formula has been used successfully for many members kitties .
I did notice on higher protein foods like Orijen my crew had poo issues

I do free feed kibble I'm smaller bowls a lower protein food amd it seems to work .
They also got looser stool if I gave them too much wet food in combination of free feeding .
They share a 3 oz can of food
I do put s large water bowl about 5 feet away from their kibble amd they seem to drink more water that way too -

Keep us updated on how the duck and pea works for your baby

Positive vibes comtinued your way !

Thank you everyone for all the help! I will keep you updated! As the day is going by Millie seems to be playing a little bit more which gives me hope that this may just be a food alteration. But will still see vet on Tuesday.

Yoda mom

Staff member
it took me awhile and a few food trials to get a combination that works . It can take up to around 12 weeks to know if s food is working - now I feed what works instead of sticking to the brand I had high hopes for but just didn't work for them .

I actually eneded up going grain inclusive and have better poo results .

Will be lookimg for updated and sending positive vibes for the vet visit Tuesday

Are you still planning the rabies vaccine on Tuesday ? Perhaps you can call to,or row and see if you can see the vet on Tuesdays visit for sweet Millie

I feel bad trying new foods and her belly being upset but I guess it’s for the best. And no we are going to postpone her rabies vaccine. She’s already not feeling her best and last time she got her distemper she was a sleepy groggy girl for the whole day

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhhh all paws crossed the duck n pea works well for her system - you will need to give it some time to see results - keep in mind switching foods too often can cause issues in itself -

I still would ask the vet if it's okay to give her the rabies shot if she isn't feeling 100%
Wonder if they will give more of the metronidazole?

Paws crossed! Maybe since some hope came from the metronidazole they’ll tell me to keep giving it to her.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It could definitely be the food. We free feed Orpheus royal canin biscuits as that's what the breeder uses but she also uses fancy feast proplan and we got a bag of that when we picked Orpheus up from her. So we tried it after our first bag of royal canin and he had very soft poos and was having a much harder time on those biscuits. Changed back to the royal canin and gave him some pumpkin and it fixed it.
So even though he had eaten the proplan at the breeders he couldn't handle it anymore and it upset his belly. So definitely could be the food :)

You have gotten wonderful advice from others above. I just wanted to add that Cleo has had digestive issues, and runny poop. We found that adding a probiotic to her breakfast really helped.

Just thought I’d mention probiotics in case you weren’t already using it.

Last edited:
Okay everyone! Millie update. Went to the vet today. Decided not to give her her rabies vaccine yet because her belly is a little messed up. Had another stool sample tested and came back negative. Seems to just be her diet. Doc put her on another week of metronidazole with a daily probiotic and suggested sticking to the nature balance duck and pea formula for good if she handles it well. Paws crossed we got to the bottom of these tummy troubles!