Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Overweight Sphynx

Kiapi

Lairian
Hi All,

I have two wonderful Sphynx, and one BIG dilemma: one is too fat and one too skinny! My vet asked me to put Bintang on a diet, however he and Chief eat together and I can't control who eat what.

Do you know how I can manage?

Thank you
Chiara

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi

You may need to feed them separately (opposite ends of a room) and then stand guard while they eat.
I hope others have suggestions.

Kiapi

Lairian
Ijust worry that they will somehow "talk"to each other and i will create tension between the two. Or do you think this is not possible?

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My kitten eats more in a day then my 3yr old, my oldest tries to steal from the little and so I have to do exactly what @Xandria said and feed them on opposite sides of the room and stand guard.

The only time is seems to bother them is when I stop them from stealing the others. They are the best of friends and play together, sleep together and I've caught them in the litter together .. so I don't think there is any tension there.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've got one that tends towards fat, and 2 (one furred) that tend towards skinny... My solution was the skinny guys get as much food as they want, but the bowl is up on a counter. The fat kid gets quite a bit less in a bowl on the floor.

If he's hungry enough, he can jump up to get more food (it's only as high as the bed, and he gets up there easily), but the reason he's chunky in the first place is because he's lazy and a boredom eater.

He hasn't lost all the weight the vet and I would like him to, but he did go from 13.5# to 11.5#(he should be about 10#), and he's been maintaining that for a year now

Kiapi

Lairian
Another question: do you think wet food makes them gain more weight?

My older one has allergies and so the vet in addition to put him on a diet he also made me feed him only with dry food for cats with allergies. I think the younger one who weights too little don't like this food and so I worry he will eat even less.

Do you think I can give wet food to the little one (when i am at home and i can monitor it) and keep the other one with the dry food from the vet?

My little one is only 2kg and already 9 months old :(

Sphynxuk

Lairian
Is your old cat really overweight? If the vet doesn't now the breed well, he can make a mistake.
I have 2 boys, a year apart. They are full brother from the same mum and dad. They are both neuter. The oldest is of an average size, and the younger is very much bigger. He is taller, longer, wider and has bigger paws than his brother. I do not think he is fat, although I did switch to a low fat dry food.
I have to watch both of them eat to make sure they get enough....

elleinad8050

Lairian
I have the same problem: a chunky and a skinny, I resolved this by feeding them separately in the morning. Hipos eats his half can of wet in my bedroom with the door shut and Dobby eats in the kitchen. It was an adjustment at first and Dobby would sit at the door and cry but after a bit he understood and now is okay.
Hipo is a really leisurely eater so I usually give him almost the entire morning to eat while I get dressed, about 45 minutes.
Other than that, in the day they have separated bowls of dry left out.

Overall this method works well for me Hipo was able to put some weight on and Dobby lost some from just not having the opportunity to eat everything in sight.

Back