Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Painful back leg after neuter

AniVerm

Lairian
Hi Everyone.
My little Freyr and his brother Frodo were neutered Thursday. Frodo is doing great but Freyr was dragging his left back leg as he came out of his carrier when we got him home.
Originally I thought it was due to anesthesia and surgery pain, they were both a bit silly. When he walk it looks like the leg is "staying behind" and he would do a three legged jump, when he sits the leg would flop outwards with the foot 90 degrees out turned in reference to the right leg.
Friday evening however it seems to be worse and he had a very rough night, could not jump on the bed and growl-meowed at me as I picked him up, the settled in against me but was shivering all the time. I suspect he was in pain.
The surgery wounds and area looks good.
We called the vet first thing, at this point I was convinced that Freyr has a dislocated hip. The vet on duty said the legs are the same length and she wonder if it is a patella or even torn crucial ligament in the knee. They organized that I should bring him back tomorrow (Monday) for examination under anesthesia.
I am still convinced this is hip not knee, yet everything I read explains that there will be shortening and internal rotation. His gait does not look like videos I could find of either cats with dislocated patella or dislocated hips. In humans signs are similar but occasionally we do see somebody who "has not read the book" and does not present with the usual.
It still is also a mystery as to what he did to injure himself.
He came home with Buprinorphine, after the med kicks in he would try to play but has a strange gait, still does not really want to jump and the leg still flops out when he sits and has mostly been lying watching us. Frodo has not even been bothering him, comes up to him and licks him and just snuggle but not initiating the usual cat play.
This poor kitten had an uveites in the past month and was on Tobradex drops too. It seems like everything happens to him. They did bloodwork and ruled out serious problems.
My usual vet is wonderful, he has been great through the whole eye drama and with any other encounter has been explaining everything in detail. He obviously like the kittens, sneaking hugs and even a cheek on the head.
Yet, I am petrified. Freyr is the sweetest little guy, always meeting me with a tail wag and play catching my feet.
Has anybody else seen anything like this?

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Everyone.
My little Freyr and his brother Frodo were neutered Thursday. Frodo is doing great but Freyr was dragging his left back leg as he came out of his carrier when we got him home.
Originally I thought it was due to anesthesia and surgery pain, they were both a bit silly. When he walk it looks like the leg is "staying behind" and he would do a three legged jump, when he sits the leg would flop outwards with the foot 90 degrees out turned in reference to the right leg.
Friday evening however it seems to be worse and he had a very rough night, could not jump on the bed and growl-meowed at me as I picked him up, the settled in against me but was shivering all the time. I suspect he was in pain.
We called the vet first thing, at this point I was convinced that Freyr has a dislocated hip. The vet on duty said the legs are the same length and she wonder if it is a patella or even torn crucial ligament in the knee. They organized that I should bring him back tomorrow (Monday) for examination under anesthesia.
I am still convinced this is hip not knee, yet everything I read explains that there will be shortening and internal rotation. His gait does not look like videos I could find of either cats with dislocated patella or dislocated hips. In humans signs are similar but occasionally we do see somebody who "has not read the book" and does not present with the usual.
He came home with Buprinorphine, after the med kicks in he would try to play but has a strange gait, still does not really want to jump and the leg still flops out when he sits and has mostly been lying watching us. Frodo has not even been bothering him, comes up to him and licks him and just snuggle but not initiating the usual cat play.
This poor kitten had an uveites in the past month and was on Tobradex drops too. It seems like everything happens to him. They did bloodwork and ruled out serious problems.
My usual vet is wonderful, he has been great through the whole eye drama and with any other encounter has been explaining everything in detail. He obviously like the kittens, sneaking hugs and even a cheek on the head.
Yet, I am petrified. Freyr is the sweetest little guy, always meeting me with a tail wag and play catching my feet.
Sorry to hear of this issue. I have never heard of a cat limping after a neuter. Was he vaccinated also by chance? I have heard of vaccinations causing soreness in the leg and even have them limping for a few days. I would surely see the vet, the other fear is an infection or he was injured somehow during the procedure or after, perhaps an X-Ray is warranted as well. Please keep us posted.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Everyone.
Like admin said, i would ask to xray just in case too. It definately sounds not normal at all for post-neuter. Xray can tell you if its bone. That way you could rule it out and see if it is muscular. I like to cover all bases

AniVerm

Lairian
Thank you for your comments and advice. No, there were no vaccinations, they both did get microchips but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Freyr is NPO and on the way to the vet for possible exam under anaesthetic this am. Will report back when we get home. Really appreciate your help!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It sounds like your poor little guy has nerve damage to his spine or leg. Hopefully they will find something in this exam and it will not be long-lasting. Prayers for the poor baby and you being sent.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AniVerm Poor little guy- Thinking of you and Freyr and sending well wishes on his vet visit today-
Please let us know how he is and give both your babies extra kisses from me

He will be powerful hungie when he gets home -hoping to hear good news!

AniVerm

Lairian
Hi Everyone!
Thank you so much for all the advice, suggestions, thoughts and prayers.
We have good news.
Freyr cooperated great and Dr J did not have to anaesthetize him to get good x-rays and get a good exam done. His hips and knees look great, there is nothing dislocated or fractured in the hips or the knees. So glad I have the best vet one can wish for!
Dr J says he think it might have been the anaesthetic injection they do in the left thigh that caused the soreness.
We came home on anti-inflammatory meds and Frey is running around, although doing the three leg hobble at times. He and Frodo played and he even managed to get to the top of the cat tree where the two snuggled for a while.
Meanwhile my son (yes, the two-legged kind) got a bad burn on his thigh while at his dad's.
If the three boys continue with calamities like this I will have a silver head for Christmas!
The surprising news of the day is that Freyr still has huge growth plates open in his hips and knees! Seems like he is going to be a huge boy!
Again, thank you to everyone, it seem like this group's thoughts are powerful!!
A
BTW. Freyr is on the left and Frodo on the right in my Avatar.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Great news for you and more importantly your baby. We see so many things here and I do not recall seeing this issue before...so happy healing vibes are sent your way.

Patti

AniVerm

Lairian
Thanks Everyone!
There is not much change for Freyr tonight, the meds however does seem to make him more comfortable but he still does the three legged hop. Like with sick kids there are even more cuddles than usually.....so almost endless between Frey, Fro and my kiddo. Kiddo is doing OK too.
The 4-legged boys are all looking forward to Thursday night (1 week post-op) to get in the tub, these bird baths are for the birds! The two legged one will have to heal up a bit longer before he can sit in the tub.
I will write a Cat Tail and post some pics in the thread there.

Jul3s

Lairian
Hello!
I just found this post while researching my own kitten’s condition. The exact same thing has happened to my kitten, Mochi. He was neutered and came home with a limo. It has been two weeks and he is still struggling. The vet had him on some pain meds, but just told me to wait. How long did it take for Freyr’s leg to get back to normal?!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear your baby has had an issue. This is an old thread from 2014. If you want, start a new thread and it will help others as well. @Jul3s

Back