Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Paracord Collars?

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Hey Again Everybody,
I was looking at Collars for Cats and Dogs and I really like the Paracord Collars. Though I was wondering if Paracord would irritate the Skin of a Sphynx? Has anyone tried these Paracord Collars? Let me know what you think.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was looking at them too, but decided against it. I could find any with the breakaway type closure, and I have seen how dirty and gross their regular nylon collars get. With all those extra crevices, I think the para cord ones would be impossible to get clean. And I think they would feel rough against their skin too.

KwaziCat

Lairian
Para cord is extremely strong and I've never seen them with easy break away clips. Something that strong around their necks freaks me out. Also, the only time I put my cats' collars on is when we go to the vet, lol.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
I was looking at them too, but decided against it. I could find any with the breakaway type closure, and I have seen how dirty and gross their regular nylon collars get. With all those extra crevices, I think the para cord ones would be impossible to get clean. And I think they would feel rough against their skin too.
Good Points for sure, Def something I will consider. Thanks for the Response :)

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Para cord is extremely strong and I've never seen them with easy break away clips. Something that strong around their necks freaks me out. Also, the only time I put my cats' collars on is when we go to the vet, lol.
I work with Paracord alot because I macrame' alot and believe me I know how strong it is, lol. I was thinking maybe I could replace the clips with a Break-Away Clip, It shouldn't be too hard to do. But I totally see what you mean :)

KwaziCat

Lairian
I work with Paracord alot because I macrame' alot and believe me I know how strong it is, lol. I was thinking maybe I could replace the clips with a Break-Away Clip, It shouldn't be too hard to do. But I totally see what you mean :)

My husband is a paratrooper, lol, I have a deep appreciation for the strength of paracord. If they had break away clips, I would use them. Not without.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
My husband is a paratrooper, lol, I have a deep appreciation for the strength of paracord. If they had break away clips, I would use them. Not without.
I know Exactly what you mean, If they had the Clips I would just love to have a Paracord Collar. I too am becoming a Paracord Nut, Lol. So I think I am going to make a Paracord Collar with a Break Away clip and see how it goes. If it doesnt irritate her skin I will be ecstatically happy! And if it does, I'll just use it as a Bracelet, Lol.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure of the benefit paracord collars for cats. You need to know the function and reason behind a collar on a cat. We buy cotton collars for our girls that are BREAKAWAY. That is a must. I even pull on them when I get them to make sure they really breakaway easily. We have 2 senior boys and bells on the girls warn them trouble is up...lol. But now that I like the pretty collars, I have to admit I like them as an accessory as well, not just the function. I have more collars than shoes at this point.

Due to wax, collars on Sphynx get dirty FAST...and often stain. The tip I shared in the past is I take a cup or bowl and put a bit of dishwasher powder detergent in it and let them soak, then I attach the collar to the utensil basket and wash during a regular cycle in the dishwasher....Much better than a washing machine.

Patti

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Not sure of the benefit paracord collars for cats. You need to know the function and reason behind a collar on a cat. We buy cotton collars for our girls that are BREAKAWAY. That is a must. I even pull on them when I get them to make sure they really breakaway easily. We have 2 senior boys and bells on the girls warn them trouble is up...lol. But now that I like the pretty collars, I have to admit I like them as an accessory as well, not just the function. I have more collars than shoes at this point.

Due to wax, collars on Sphynx get dirty FAST...and often stain. The tip I shared in the past is I take a cup or bowl and put a bit of dishwasher powder detergent in it and let them soak, then I attach the collar to the utensil basket and wash during a regular cycle in the dishwasher....Much better than a washing machine.

Patti
Very Good Points. I will not put a collar on my cats unless it is Breakaway as well. And I too make sure that it is safe by pulling on them too. I like the texture and the look of the Paracord collars and not only that but my cat just loves paracord and you can put your own accessories on it, etc. To me they are pretty collars. However, Due to my Shoe Fetish, I still have more shoes than collars, LOL. Thanks so much for the tips on how to clean them, I will definitely do that when mine get dirty :) Althea certainly gets everything dirty, Including all of her sweaters so I will try that :)

KwaziCat

Lairian
I know Exactly what you mean, If they had the Clips I would just love to have a Paracord Collar. I too am becoming a Paracord Nut, Lol. So I think I am going to make a Paracord Collar with a Break Away clip and see how it goes. If it doesnt irritate her skin I will be ecstatically happy! And if it does, I'll just use it as a Bracelet, Lol.

I don't know if you can just buy the break away clips. If you can, that would be cool. If not, you can always find a bunch of cheap/on sale regular collars and just cut them up, lol. Good luck with making one! I'd love to see it when you do!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Patti,
I love your tip about cleaning collars. Cleopatra has about 7 collars, and 5 are going to be history because they have been washed so much that they are faded. The furry cats get new collars about every 2 years, because they just don't get dirty! And I agree that paracord collars need to be breakaway. Cleo and Sydney wear their collars all the time, partly to warn us where they are in the dark.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a paracord bracelet and can't really imagine one as a collar unless it was a bit more delicate / thin

This thing isn't very soft material and doesn't have a lot of give so I would be worried it would be uncomfortable for my boys to wear or it would dig in. Comfort would be my #1 priority, style comes afterwards.

There would be no harm in making one just as an accessory for some cute photos though if you are a big fan of them.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
I don't know if you can just buy the break away clips. If you can, that would be cool. If not, you can always find a bunch of cheap/on sale regular collars and just cut them up, lol. Good luck with making one! I'd love to see it when you do!
I will send some pics to you when I get done with one. I hope it turns out okay :)

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
I have a paracord bracelet and can't really imagine one as a collar unless it was a bit more delicate / thin

This thing isn't very soft material and doesn't have a lot of give so I would be worried it would be uncomfortable for my boys to wear or it would dig in. Comfort would be my #1 priority, style comes afterwards.

There would be no harm in making one just as an accessory for some cute photos though if you are a big fan of them.
I agree that some Paracord is really hard because it has been starched, But I have some very soft unstarched paracord and I think it would make an okay collar. I always think comfort should be #1 too so if it does end up irritating her skin I will for sure take it off and do something else with it :) I am ordering some Breakaway clips now and I guess we shall see how it works out for us. Thanks for the advice :)

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Well, I found a place on Etsy that sells these breakaway clips and I just bought some, But I just realized I'm gonna need to get some more Paracord too! Lol. So thats next on the list to order. I am looking at some prettier colors anyway ;) I will let you all know how it turns out when its done :) I have a question though, Can I post a Picture of them or is that a violation due to the advertisement rules? Just to be careful and sure.

Back