Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Peaches Almost Got Away!

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I’ve been working on desensitizing Harley from our front door when it’s opened by giving her a treat as soon I opened the door. It’s a high-rise so I wasn’t too worried about any immediate danger on our specific floor level.

Many minutes later as I’m getting to leave the house, someone knocked at our door and the only word I could understand was “cat”.

The lady outside had to tell me that the cat literally just slipped back in as soon as I opened the door. Was it this one? Pointing to Peaches’ guilty but also confused face behind me. She said Peaches was just outside the door sitting patiently. *sighs* she didn’t even meow when she usually does when she needs something.

She is ok now but she did try to go in her tunnel unsure if I was mad at her or what the heck even happened. When she realized I wasn’t upset she came out right away and sat on the couch with me. I wrapped her in her blankie and kissed her profusely on the forehead feeling so guilty and a bit irresponsible about the incident.

Sharing this coz I’m usually very good at watching over the cats but today a lot has been on my mind and it goes to show that anyone could be distracted and things can happen in a split second.

So blessed I have caring and concerned neighbours and that Peaches didn’t seem super overwhelmed about the situation - just ol’ me.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Cleo sneaks out now and then but like you we live in a high rise so until Cleo learns to call the elevator she can't go far. When she gets out she runs around the halls then immediately runs home.

We learned also to keep an eye on her when answering the door.

Yoda mom

Staff member
oh my how scary... mine are lightening stealth too!
I trained them to a chair and the one smart cat climber when doors open and close... so far so good...
I can even hold the door open and they sit and wait for a treat at their spot. nothing is 100%... they are sphynx busy buddies

hugs and extra head smooches!

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom Exactly! Nothing is 100% and when they do listen it’s because they are doing it out of love.

Did u say u have a bengal? Curious if your sphynx does get into things too or are they more docile? I can’t quite put a finger on a Peaches. She’s docile with a lot of energy if that makes any sense.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is one of my biggest fears! My kitty tries to get out in the summer. I live in a house and I am afraid that if she gets out she will run on the road and get hit by a car, or she will get a sunburn. I don’t worry so much in the winter because when she feels the cold air she turns and runs the other way. I am always yelling at guests “don’t let the cat out” when they linger with the door open!

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Loki one of my sphynx is soooooo adventurous numerous time I have opened the front door and he has flew out, I will never forget one summer I left the window open to bed as was super warm and he pushed it and escaped I woke up to feed them all and Loki didnt arrive to his call for food I knew something was wrong so I checked all over the house nowhere I knew then he was outside and I live on a busy road my heart fell to the floor... how long? Is he alive? Where is he? Why? I ran around the street frantic shouting him and shaking treats no response.... my partner went outside and shouted him and up he toddled from the downstairs shed! I cried like a baby because he probably was out most of the night but luckily he stayed in the house area!
Good job you have lovely neighbours, ones around here are not friendly really and probably wouldnt of known to return him if he was found or injured
Glad she is safe and back to cuddles!❤

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That is one of my biggest fears! My kitty tries to get out in the summer. I live in a house and I am afraid that if she gets out she will run on the road and get hit by a car, or she will get a sunburn. I don’t worry so much in the winter because when she feels the cold air she turns and runs the other way. I am always yelling at guests “don’t let the cat out” when they linger with the door open!
Sounds like me when we have guests, I always look like the crazy cat lady but instead of rounding sheep like farmers I round sphynxes!
I have to check they are all indoors about 30 times before leaving for work or leaving to go anywhere fekm
Sounds just like me.
Instead of rounding sheep like farmers do I round sphynxes when we have guests, I do not let them leave until I know they are all still in the house then I still have to check that they are all in the house once people have gone!
Before I leave for work or to go out I have to check about 5 times that they are all in the house I round them in the kitchen and do about 5 more checks before walking out the door and checking that none of them are following me, then I have to also check I have locked the door another probably 5 times to make sure they are locked in the house safe aswell!
I have OCD but I do it for protection also but they can be very fast! I'm forever checking my main escapee Loki hasn't decided to do a runner for the night.p

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Annejo12 total can relate with guests.... when I used to live with my exfiance, his kids would come and leave the door standing open!
I put up kitties in my bedroom to play it safe.

@CathyO , yes I have a rescue bengal ...Macie... you can see in my media.
I had 4 bengals at the same time back in the 90's.
when my last passed away I got a surprise bday gift sphynx.. my then fiance remember me saying saying someday I would love a sphynx. Yoda girl, avatar pic, unfortunately from a baaaad scammer breeder he bought from... she passed at age 2 heart embolism

My Bengal came from a hoobly ad that stated needed to go tonight moving out tomorrow! so I drove 3 hours in a rainstorm to get her.. she was a wild child,,, ran hid went postal when I put her in the crate to come home..got all scratched up.

she hid under the bed I swear for over a month. the house she came from was complete chaos... I slept on the floor befriending her..
now she is a vocal busy buddy..

my experience with bengals many are rehomed because they can be vocal... mine were all F4's and they were talkative some loader than others... my boy who was an F3 would walk around the pool lanai and do a gutteral meoooow. the neighbors asked if I had a wild cat lol

after he passed, I rescued Macie in his honor. she is not a lap cat but perhaps from her upbringing. she was about 2 when I got her.
she is not cuddly like the others I was owned by... she loves to sit with me and chat, loves the dogs more than sphynx...
she can't be bothered with the sphynx. she was around a pitbull that was probably her bestie bcz she is very into dogs!

she is not the mischief personality of my sphynx... she does peek attention when I come in and out of the door. The sphynx were very easy to train to a spot... not the bengal.. totally different personality Imho. bengals are known for senstive tummies much like sphynx.

Yoda mom

Staff member
oh , I do have to add Omar bengal cat was houdini and loved opening cabinets and hiding inside. when I moved her I could not find him!
turns out he opened the sink base, climbed through the sink hose hole and was sitting wedged between the dishwasher and cabinet base.
the only time Mr Talker did not meow!!! I found him by tapping on the cabinet inside and feeling a solid thump.
now I alway count as @JessicaRosexo does.

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Annejo12 total can relate with guests.... when I used to live with my exfiance, his kids would come and leave the door standing open!
I put up kitties in my bedroom to play it safe.

@CathyO , yes I have a rescue bengal ...Macie... you can see in my media.
I had 4 bengals at the same time back in the 90's.
when my last passed away I got a surprise bday gift sphynx.. my then fiance remember me saying saying someday I would love a sphynx. Yoda girl, avatar pic, unfortunately from a baaaad scammer breeder he bought from... she passed at age 2 heart embolism

My Bengal came from a hoobly ad that stated needed to go tonight moving out tomorrow! so I drove 3 hours in a rainstorm to get her.. she was a wild child,,, ran hid went postal when I put her in the crate to come home..got all scratched up.

she hid under the bed I swear for over a month. the house she came from was complete chaos... I slept on the floor befriending her..
now she is a vocal busy buddy..

my experience with bengals many are rehomed because they can be vocal... mine were all F4's and they were talkative some loader than others... my boy who was an F3 would walk around the pool lanai and do a gutteral meoooow. the neighbors asked if I had a wild cat lol

after he passed, I rescued Macie in his honor. she is not a lap cat but perhaps from her upbringing. she was about 2 when I got her.
she is not cuddly like the others I was owned by... she loves to sit with me and chat, loves the dogs more than sphynx...
she can't be bothered with the sphynx. she was around a pitbull that was probably her bestie bcz she is very into dogs!

she is not the mischief personality of my sphynx... she does peek attention when I come in and out of the door. The sphynx were very easy to train to a spot... not the bengal.. totally different personality Imho. bengals are known for senstive tummies much like sphynx.
I have also had that with kids and I am like THE CATS!!

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
oh , I do have to add Omar bengal cat was houdini and loved opening cabinets and hiding inside. when I moved her I could not find him!
turns out he opened the sink base, climbed through the sink hose hole and was sitting wedged between the dishwasher and cabinet base.
the only time Mr Talker did not meow!!! I found him by tapping on the cabinet inside and feeling a solid thump.
People think I am crazy because I do the checks all the time and count the cats but I dont care because they can be so sneaky! Little buggers❤

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Annejo12 @JessicaRosexo Oh my goodness! I haven’t even considered multiple cats/Sphynxes in a house scenario. Was sharing this with my partner last night and he jokingly gave me a hard time saying, “You had one job. One door. And One cat (door dasher)”.

LOL @finding the sphynx toddling. So cute but the mischief tho..!

Last edited:

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom 4 F4s???? Whoa! It takes a certain type of person who can do Bengals. No wonder you speak from so much experience and wisdom. Thanks for sharing your experience with the breed. Met a neighbour downstairs who has a bengal and we bonded over the feather toy she saw sticking out from the pet store bag I was lugging #catsrule

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Craziest mischief cat story I’ve heard to date! The thump being the only indicator made my jaw drop in disbelief. Now I wonder if u got more adventure stories like this! Haha

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One time I opened the front door to check the mail on my lunch, which I only open enough to stick my arm out and open the mail box. Fast forward 10 minutes and I hadn't seen Yoda (he's usually always wherever we are). I start to panic and shake the treats all over the house, no Yoda in sight. I open the front door and shake (this point extremely worried and not hopeful he'd come) and to my surprise he came running from the bushes out front. We live on a very busy street, he could've been run over, or anywhere in the neighborhood after 10 minutes. I was extremely happy he didn't go far.

Now I have to step outside and close the door when I'm getting mail, as I didn't even see him sneak out of the small gap!

So glad Peaches didn't make a great escape.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CathyO oh yes, Omar the bengal scared the heck out of me another time... could not find him anywhere.. first place I check was the sink base lol

welll, nope... he decided to jump on the fridge up onto the top of the 42 inch cabinets with crown moulding... he was sleeping up there!
I could not see him becz of the crown moulding!

so strange bcz he was not mischievous like my sphynx but he loved hide and seek I swear :)

My sphynx just like to knock things over slooowly to watch my reaction :)
oh and steal things! Claire Bare sphynx thinks Diamonds are a sphynx girl's best friend .. she will try to steal jewelry and purr head butting like she wants to wear it lol

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Bailey21 that’s every sphynx lover’s nightmare, wasn’t it? Esp. if living in a busy road like that. Right now I haven’t taken Peaches out again tho she’s been calling out to go out. U know even a minute a lot could happen, what more if it’s 10 min! Tempted to get her a fabric collar just with our unit number or better yet those “lost item” tracker (if they only work long enough).

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@CathyO I actually did order breakaway collars after this incident with a bell, and I went to Petsmart and had their names and my phone number engraved to attach to the collars. This way when were going outside in the yard, I can tell where they are with the bell, and if they ever were to escape at least my phone number would be on them to be contacted.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CathyO Is peaches microchipped? when I adopted my adults I did in office microchip... I asked if I could be in the exam room.
it is larger than a grain of rice imho, not sure if its a 12 gauge implant needle. ...so just an fyi...
they actually had to put glue on the site on one of my boys :(

if peaches is microchipped I always call the company twice a year to make sure they have my current info on file.
When I do office visits , I have them scan for a chip just to see if it reads and if it has migrated... have not had any migrate on any of my nakids or furkids.

keep us updated :) hugs n head smooches

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom I think I know what u are talking about. That better not be the gap above the shelves above the fridge - one that typically gathers dust and mostly no one cares about but def not Omar!

Your diamond’s best friend, Clair Bare de Beers haha, seems to love sparkly stuff. Got this Kirkland iridescent party ornament yest and it was a hit - even Harley who gets tired very easily went up and down on a chase. Even hissed at the sparkly “prey”. Your CB might like it.

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@CathyO Is peaches microchipped? when I adopted my adults I did in office microchip... I asked if I could be in the exam room.
it is larger than a grain of rice imho, not sure if its a 12 gauge implant needle. ...so just an fyi...
they actually had to put glue on the site on one of my boys :(

if peaches is microchipped I always call the company twice a year to make sure they have my current info on file.
When I do office visits , I have them scan for a chip just to see if it reads and if it has migrated... have not had any migrate on any of my nakids or furkids.

keep us updated :) hugs n head smooches

Yes, both of them are when they were spayed. Great idea on having vet scan when I’m there to see if it migrated! I guess my thinking was more like we have tons on visitors in the bldg so at least if they see our unit number on her college she will be returned? coz I’ve heard of horror stories where people don’t return pets they “steal” coz they know they are microchipped. This works for them until the pet needs to see a vet or gets hospitalized.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@cathy0, Claire Bare De Beers :) would love it ! she is fascinated , she reaches up to gently touch my pendant.
I will have to keep a look at Kirklands ..
hugs n head smooches to Peaches n Harley

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pixie will sneak out, if given the chance... and I don't always notice.
But she will roam a little while, and then sit at the door and wait.
Luckily there's no danger in the yard, or nearby, as there are no cars or roads, but I get you. Totally.
Jez got out and disappeared (sort of) for 3 days once in Bavaria. I was terrified that she gets on the road, but she just hung out with the barn cats. I saw her constantly, but she's fast and as slippery as an eel, and I couldn't catch her. Even treats didn't work!
After 3 days she sat at the door, totally filthy, but oh so pleased with herself...

Back