Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

pee pee on the rug

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,
question, hope someone can help! Leonidas (male)has been going pee pee on our rug in family room all of a sudden.We have a female we breed with him,we dont want to seperate or cage them because they are our family.Im not sure thats the problem.Any suggestions?
p.s. tried a spray that is suppose to deter peeing on rugs with no luck.:tinysmile_cry_t:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is or does the urine look dark or smell strange? Sometimes urinary tract infections will cause this. Have you switched litter brands? Or is anything new that would cause him to "be bad?"

admin

Administrator
Staff member
no, just that typical male urine smell.The only change is there both a little older and hes constantly wanting (you know what)from her,could this be the problem?that hes in heat mode?

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Unfortunately for you yes....males also mark to "advertise" they are receptive to you know what from a female. I will talk to a few of my vet friends to see if anything can be done to curb this once it is started and let you know.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Admin,

I spoke with a few of my vet friends about the pee pee issue,
Here are their suggestions;

1. Isolate & start retraining. (which I know you said you didn't want to do)
2. Try disinfecting area where spraying is occuring, then spray area with Feliway... if those 2 don't work repeat & cover area with foil.
3. Move the litterbox to where he is spraying
4. Anti anxiety medications sometimes can help

admin

Administrator
Staff member
hi guys,
sometimes im a knuckle head!
my wife said she thinks it's "male spray".:tinysmile_aha_t:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Male cats spraying is urine mixed with pheromones to mark their "stuff", so the course of actions to try to curb this would remain the same.

Back