Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Peeing behind the litter box constantly

Chester

Lairian
I've been trying to figure out what's going on with Chester. He's 6 years old, healthy, active. He's been peeing right outside his litter box everyday for the last week.

We're staying at my parents place for a few weeks. He's been here before and has never done this. He just had a check up, everything looked fine.

He's doing his other business inside the box, but for whatever reason, he pees right behind it in the corner, covering the floor every time. Yesterday I bought a new mat, moved the litter box into the corner, and this morning he peed right on the mat.

I keep the litter very clean. He seems to be fine otherwise; eating, running around, playing, like usual.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Should I get a bigger litter box? Change litter? Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I've been trying to figure out what's going on with Chester. He's 6 years old, healthy, active. He's been peeing right outside his litter box everyday for the last week.

We're staying at my parents place for a few weeks. He's been here before and has never done this. He just had a check up, everything looked fine.

He's doing his other business inside the box, but for whatever reason, he pees right behind it in the corner, covering the floor every time. Yesterday I bought a new mat, moved the litter box into the corner, and this morning he peed right on the mat.

I keep the litter very clean. He seems to be fine otherwise; eating, running around, playing, like usual.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Should I get a bigger litter box? Change litter? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hoping the above thread might be helpful. Any changes in the home? Change of litter…time to add another new box?

Chester

Lairian

Hoping the above thread might be helpful. Any changes in the home? Change of litter…time to add another new box?

Thanks for the link to the thread.

The change is we’re staying at my parents place for awhile and the litter box is in the laundry room. That’s never been an issue when we’ve stayed here before.

Weird how he’ll poop in the box but won’t pee in it now.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Could be FLUTD - check for crystals in the urine the vet will need to do this. Crystals can block the penis and require amputation so the faster he is seen by a vet the better.

Chester

Lairian
Could be FLUTD - check for crystals in the urine the vet will need to do this. Crystals can block the penis and require amputation so the faster he is seen by a vet the better.

Yikes. Yeah, I'll have to take him to see the vet ASAP. Funny thing is, he was just at the vet before we left to come up here, a basic visit, the vet said he looked great.

Thanks.

Sheldon13

Staff member
You say he’s not in his normal home. I’d imagine that even if he’s been there before, that is the most common sense explanation for what is causing the misplacement of urine.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Chester

Lairian
You say he’s not in his normal home. I’d imagine that even if he’s been there before, that is the most common sense explanation for what is causing the misplacement of urine.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yeah I hope it’s just that. Last time we were here, we stayed over 2 months, and nothing like this ever happened.

Back home we just switched to a top entry litter box and I’m thinking I’ll get one here to see if that makes a difference.

Yoda mom

Staff member
hugs n positive vibe head smooches. always best for peace of mind to ask vet to check urine sample to rule out a UTI... my adoptee had a stress UTI. cleared up one round of meds and never had again.definitely would use the same style litter box he has been used to. keep us updated.

Chester

Lairian
hugs n positive vibe head smooches. always best for peace of mind to ask vet to check urine sample to rule out a UTI... my adoptee had a stress UTI. cleared up one round of meds and never had again.definitely would use the same style litter box he has been used to. keep us updated.

Thanks, I definitely have to take him in. Stress UTI, that could be it.

Back