Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Peeing on the carpet!

Recently my little Leo has started doing his business in this one corner of my house. He started doing this after my family and I returned from a week long vacation. Was it because we left him and how do I stop this behavior? (He had a catsitter over to feed him)

My male did that before he was neutered. Our vet also suggested a liter called Cat Attract, and we also bought these plug ins that release pheromones which are thought to calm a cat down. We bought an odor eliminator to spray on the areas he peed from our Vet called Icky Poo. (it worked better than the pet store stuff) To use, just wipe up the pee with no other cleaners, then spray the area with Icky Poo and let dry. We sprayed/let dry & repeated several times where he peed or the smell must have been still there because he would pee in the same spot again. And if it was on a carpet we tried to soak it pretty good each time with the spray. Is he neutered? Once we neutered Ace he all but stopped after a month of the operation, after only peeing occasionally, and now 9 months post neuter he hasn't peed in a while, so we're hoping we closed the book on that problem.

My male did that before he was neutered. Our vet also suggested a liter called Cat Attract, and we also bought these plug ins that release pheromones which are thought to calm a cat down. We bought an odor eliminator to spray on the areas he peed from our Vet called Icky Poo. (it worked better than the pet store stuff) To use, just wipe up the pee with no other cleaners, then spray the area with Icky Poo and let dry. We sprayed/let dry & repeated several times where he peed or the smell must have been still there because he would pee in the same spot again. And if it was on a carpet we tried to soak it pretty good each time with the spray. Is he neutered? Once we neutered Ace he all but stopped after a month of the operation, after only peeing occasionally, and now 9 months post neuter he hasn't peed in a while, so we're hoping we closed the book on that problem.
He is neutered.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Shiny Does he make frequent trips to the litter box with little or no output? - sign of urninary infection
you can call your vet and ask if a uriine test would be indicated .

Are there any stray outdoor cats coming by your home thst Leo may be stress reacting to?

Was the litter box kept meticulously stopped while you were away ?
They can be very picky about their litter boxes

anti icky poo product was recommended by a breeder friend to keep on hand in case when I adopted a male adult kitties . I was told for kitties the unscented is best
Anti ickt poo has a little "carpet injector" too for their products
I haven't used it but saw it on their website

Positve vibes sent
Will be checking in for updates

@Shiny , here is the mister max anti icky poo info
It's sold online varies sites and at their eBay store and at vets office
Anti-Icky-Poo is recommended by veterinarians more than any other product

Anti-Icky-Poo - Anti-Icky-Poo Unscented - Anti Icky Poo

@Shiny Does he make frequent trips to the litter box with little or no output? - sign of urninary infection
you can call your vet and ask if a uriine test would be indicated .

Are there any stray outdoor cats coming by your home thst Leo may be stress reacting to?

Was the litter box kept meticulously stopped while you were away ?
They can be very picky about their litter boxes

anti icky poo product was recommended by a breeder friend to keep on hand in case when I adopted a male adult kitties . I was told for kitties the unscented is best
Anti ickt poo has a little "carpet injector" too for their products
I haven't used it but saw it on their website

Positve vibes sent
Will be checking in for updates

@Shiny , here is the mister max anti icky poo info
It's sold online varies sites and at their eBay store and at vets office
Anti-Icky-Poo is recommended by veterinarians more than any other product

Anti-Icky-Poo - Anti-Icky-Poo Unscented - Anti Icky Poo
He seems to be going in his litter box normally. He also poos in that one spot as well. There are no stray cats wandering into my yard that I know of. There are lots of dogs in my subdivision, my neighbors have one. I'll have to ask the catsitter about the litter box, but when she was over she cleaned the litter box. Leo never did his business in that corner until we returned, not while the cat sitter was there. A couple months ago we changed his litter box to this: My stepmom bought it for him and I don't really like it for him. It's smaller than his old litter box and he can't cover up his poop. He has been using it for months now and hasn't had a problem though. I've been wanting to return to his old litter box, do you think that would help?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Shiny Kitties can be picky about their litter boxes

Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

I found my boys like roomier larger boxes with unscented litter (dr eleseys or fresh pet odor destroyer unscented are alike )

You can eput out his old style box he had no problems with while keeping the new box amd see which he prefers.
See if he still goes to the corner

I would have at least two litter boxes
Fwiw I had a girl Sphynx who preferred pee in ome box with unscented litter
Amd poo in a open box with yesterday's news unscented pellet litter - bizarre

I got the jumbo catit litter box - I take all doors off covered litter boxes - they just pop put -
the lid folds open for easy scooping and its roomy (got at chewy online )

The other fav here big and roomy is the good pet stuff hidden litter box - looks like a planter - I do not use the vines or moss it comes with

They did not like the smaller Vaness box- the abandoned it when I went to the bogger roomier boxes

Definitely clean the corner with an enzyme cleaner

My moms adopted kitty had issues till we changed the style of box and litter and viola problem solved
of course we used anti icky poo enzyme cleaner

Location location too :)

All paws crossed you get this resolved
I wish they could talk!

Keep us updated

Here are pics of the boxes my boys prefer

Attachments

@Shiny Kitties can be picky about their litter boxes

Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

I found my boys like roomier larger boxes with unscented litter (dr eleseys or fresh pet odor destroyer unscented are alike )

You can eput out his old style box he had no problems with while keeping the new box amd see which he prefers.
See if he still goes to the corner

I would have at least two litter boxes
Fwiw I had a girl Sphynx who preferred pee in ome box with unscented litter
Amd poo in a open box with yesterday's news unscented pellet litter - bizarre

I got the jumbo catit litter box - I take all doors off covered litter boxes - they just pop put -
the lid folds open for easy scooping and its roomy (got at chewy online )

The other fav here big and roomy is the good pet stuff hidden litter box - looks like a planter - I do not use the vines or moss it comes with

They did not like the smaller Vaness box- the abandoned it when I went to the bogger roomier boxes

Definitely clean the corner with an enzyme cleaner

My moms adopted kitty had issues till we changed the style of box and litter and viola problem solved
of course we used anti icky poo enzyme cleaner

Location location too :)

All paws crossed you get this resolved
I wish they could talk!

Keep us updated

Here are pics of the boxes my boys prefer
Thank for the help, but I think I've figured out the problem! Recently Leo has started marking the walls and my parents found him staring outside at an outdoor cat we know named Boots. Boots is actually the cat of the catsitter I had watch Leo. He's probably stressed out about that. I didn't think Boots could make it all the way over to my house because we live pretty far away from him. To fix this we're going to start closing the windows so he can't see outside. Hopefully this works.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Shiny , ah , good job figuring out what was going on with Leo :)
Definitely sounds like him watching Boots outside is the trigger to his behavior

When the pet sitter comes to pet set in the future perhaps washing hands before interacting with Leo may help remove some of Boots sent

I read to keep outdoor cats away to put vinegar outside around the house?
I have never tried it but perhaps members can chime

Btw , that scratcher looks great !

Keep us updated often !
Head smooches sent