Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Peeing outside the litter box

Nicky00

Lairian
Hi! My sphynx cat nut has been peeing outside the litterbox for the past week. She gets right up to it may put a paw in then pee directly next to it. We tried change the litter but still did it. She only pees outside the litterbox she poops in it though it takes a bit of coaxing .any idea why the sudden change?

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have no idea.....what about trying two litter boxes. Maybe she will pee in one and poop in the other. You never know, it might work. Good luck.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Nicky00 My first Sphynx used an unscented litter box for pee smd for do,e strange reason
Pooped in a litter box of yesterday news unscented pellets

sudden peeing outside the box can be a sign of a urinary tract infection which would need to be diagnosed by her vet.
It can be cleared up with an Antibiotic if caught early .

I would call your vet for their suggestions
They may want a pee sa,ple to check
I gathered a sample by using a soup laddle from the dollar store
And slowly and quietly put it Under them as they peed to get a pee sample , put it in a cup amd took to vets office right away .

Does she seem like she is trying to go on and out of the box more frequently but doesn't ?
This can be a sign of a brewing urninary tract infection too

If medical reasons ruled out then I would perhaps try unscented litter and an extra litter box .
I also find mine are very picky about their box li have to scoop comstantly for their liking .
I swear in never scooped so much in my life .

You will need to clean any pee areas with something like natures miracle enzyme cleaner
Please keep us updated often

Will be following closely for updates

Positve vibes sent you get resolution to what's going on with your cutie

Nicky00

Lairian
Update! I put paper towels around her box. Which she doesn't like the feel of and she started going on her litter box again. We think the box was too messy then she developed the habit bc she could smell where she went. Everything is great now. Thanks for all your help.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Nicky00 , yah!
Thank you for reminding us that our Sphynx kitties are very particular about the cleanliness of their litter boxes -
Often times this can be an easy resolution to figure out the out of litter box challenges .

Lol we call it poo patrol here - I swear I have never scooped a liter box as meticulously ! 3 times a day and freshen it with a little new litter on top

Kudos to you !
Head smooches sent !