Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

peeing right next to litter box -_-

sima

Lairian
Hi, I am a new member to sphynx community and I saw so many helpful information here. I am having an issue with my sphynx lady behavior. She uses her litter box regularly. But it has been a few days again she pees right next to her litter box! (gets on the sheets and the carpet around it) she pees inside of the litter box as well... I clean her litter box every day and I have been using worlds best litter.

I don't know if she does it for attention or jealousy. We recently got a fish tank which she was cat protesting at first but I had all the attention on Sexy petting her letting her sleep on the bed and giving her extra treats. Now she likes the fish tank ( I'm like really kitty? okay!)

More info: She used to be afraid of using a litter box when I got her at age of 3 month old. I don't know why but I had to train her and out toys and treats around the litter box to finally assure her that the litter box is not harming her!

Diet: She eats grain free dry cat food evolve with fully cooked homemade pumpkin puree, sometimes grain free wet food Merrik or Blue Buffalo.
Health: She is updated with all vaccination and checked up and she is healthy. I play with her when I get home and feed her give her treats and love. She is spayed (at 8 month old)

Please advise any help would be appreciated.

Sima

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello @sima and welcome for you and Sexy! I don't have experience with litter box accidents so can't give you advice. Do you see it happen? Is she sitting in the box and them peeing outside the box? Or she sit next to it and the pees? And she always poops in the box? Maybe it happened one time by accident and cause the smell is there she thinks it's the right place to pee?

Hope others will chime in to give advice!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I am a new member to sphynx community and I saw so many helpful information here. I am having an issue with my sphynx lady behavior. She uses her litter box regularly. But it has been a few days again she pees right next to her litter box! (gets on the sheets and the carpet around it) she pees inside of the litter box as well... I clean her litter box every day and I have been using worlds best litter.

I don't know if she does it for attention or jealousy. We recently got a fish tank which she was cat protesting at first but I had all the attention on Sexy petting her letting her sleep on the bed and giving her extra treats. Now she likes the fish tank ( I'm like really kitty? okay!)

More info: She used to be afraid of using a litter box when I got her at age of 3 month old. I don't know why but I had to train her and out toys and treats around the litter box to finally assure her that the litter box is not harming her!

Diet: She eats grain free dry cat food evolve with fully cooked homemade pumpkin puree, sometimes grain free wet food Merrik or Blue Buffalo.
Health: She is updated with all vaccination and checked up and she is healthy. I play with her when I get home and feed her give her treats and love. She is spayed (at 8 month old)

Please advise any help would be appreciated.

Sima
Sorry to hear of this issue. Take a look at this post for useful tips and information on peeing outside the box - Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Have you moved the box recently?
Is the box too small perhaps?
Is the fish tank in view of the litter box or in the same vicinity? Perhaps move it.
A vet check may be needed for a possible UTI (urinary tract infection.) :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sima ,Does she make in and out trips to the box with little or no output? Which can be a sign of a urinary infection? Urine crystals?stones etc?
Always best to rule out anything medical- I would give a call to your vet and ask their advice-
How long ago was she spayed? I would ask the vet about spay I continence too to rule out

My one kitty had urine crystals right after I adopted him- I noticed the in/out little or no pee and got him in immediately - you can't wait on these bcz they can get totally blocked very dangerous- I got him tested and meds and all better now -

( I test my cats urine at home periodically with a pool spa test strip I have on hand to check their PH level.. my vet said it was fine to use them to monitor but if any signs to bring it for check up-(actually got the same Ph reading with the pool spa strips as the cystiocentesis test at the vet the same hour when I took it to the vet with me) of course the cystiocentesis test shows more but the testing at home helps monitor-
It can read a little high right after eating )

If the box has a high entry and they are not feeling good inside they may pee outside the box -
Also, I take the door flap off cover box lids

My moms adopted cat was sporadic with the litter box -
*I had her switch to the litter I and many of us here use - dr elseys unscented in the blue bag -
And viola! Like magic no more outside of the box peeing- she just hated the litter

*Be sure to clean any pee spots with an enzyme cleaner - I asked my breeder what she uses and she recommended
Something I never heard of but worked wonders -"anti icky poo -unscented" which is supposedly stronger than the scented-
They litter I get with free shipping at chewy.com
I orders the Anit icky poo cleaner online - prices vary - they sell in quart or gallon
I even see Home Depot sells it online as well as pet suppliers ,ebay, etc online

Hoping she is fine and healthy and you get some solutions soon

Please keep us updated and let us know what your vets office recommends
If it's a behavioral thing, I would try a different litter amd lots of praise and treats right out of the box like potty training a dog-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@sima welcome. You've already gotten terrific advice here. The aforementioned question about Sexy peeing next to the box or actually squats in the box and some urine hits the floor...is the million dollar question in my mind. That would tell me more than if she is just peeing next to the litterbox.

Regardless, the pee spots need to be neutralized each and every time. Clean very well by first sopping up any wetness. Last step would be to let the neutralizer dry by air. I personally prefer Nature's Miracle. I've been using it for close to 30 years. A few times I've tried other products, but absolutely feel Nature's Miracle works the best. Just my opinion/experience.

Being that Sexy didn't care for the litterbox right from the start makes me think that she had a totally different type of litterbox at her previous home...such as a hooded one compared to an exposed one.

sima

Lairian
Hello @sima and welcome for you and Sexy! I don't have experience with litter box accidents so can't give you advice. Do you see it happen? Is she sitting in the box and them peeing outside the box? Or she sit next to it and the pees? And she always poops in the box? Maybe it happened one time by accident and cause the smell is there she thinks it's the right place to pee?

Hope others will chime in to give advice!

It is not accidental :( she sits next to the box and she does the same pattern on digging in to the litter but it is instead on a carpet then when she is done she tries to cover it up like it is litter. Thank you. I think it could be the smell but I clean it with pet carpet cleaners and other lroducts to take the snell away. I will respond to others now!

Last edited:

sima

Lairian
@sima welcome. You've already gotten terrific advice here. The aforementioned question about Sexy peeing next to the box or actually squats in the box and some urine hits the floor...is the million dollar question in my mind. That would tell me more than if she is just peeing next to the litterbox.

Regardless, the pee spots need to be neutralized each and every time. Clean very well by first sopping up any wetness. Last step would be to let the neutralizer dry by air. I personally prefer Nature's Miracle. I've been using it for close to 30 years. A few times I've tried other products, but absolutely feel Nature's Miracle works the best. Just my opinion/experience.

Being that Sexy didn't care for the litterbox right from the start makes me think that she had a totally different type of litterbox at her previous home...such as a hooded one compared to an exposed one.

Hi, she uses the box perfectly sometimes.

She had an additional box it was hooded but she stopped using it and went back to her old one.

This is what she does, she uses the litter box. But sometimes during the day she goes next her box not inside and does the digging motion to carpet or the sheets around her box then she sits and pees when she is done she tries to cover it up but it is carpet -_-

Based on what you and others said I will try changing the litter and a bigger box today if that doest work then I consult with her Vet.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

She had an additional box it was hooded but she stopped using it and went back to her old one.

This is what she does, she uses the litter box. But sometimes during the day she goes next her box not inside and does the digging motion to carpet or the sheets around her box then she sits and pees when she is done she tries to cover it up but it is carpet -_-

Based on what you and others said I will try changing the litter and a bigger box today if that doest work then I consult with her Vet.

Hmm? One more light bulb went off in my head! Get rid of the sheets under/around her litterbox! I used a bath towel under my upstairs litterbox a long time ago. I found that some of my sphynx kitties would pee on the towel even though it was a little area ... just because it had some kitty litter sprinkled on it from them jumping out of the box. Once I got rid of the towel, no more problems.

Also, by you using a pet carpet cleaner, I'm not so sure that is the right product as you need a neutralizer. Just because a human can't smell the urine doesn't mean a cat can't detect the urine smell. Once a cat has an accident on the floor or anywhere, they will go back to that spot.

I suggest Nature's Miracle and a black light. No guess work if you've gotten it all neutralized when you use a black light. Where in the U.S. are you? If you live in or near Staten Island, NY, I can lend you my black light if you don't have one.

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Be sure to use an enzyme cleaner as @GoldHazel mentioned above, carpet cleaners/ shampoos will not work. Also, I would try changing one thing at a time, perhaps the larger box first then go from there. That way its easier to rule out the one particular issue. :)

sima

Lairian
@GoldHazel @Yoda mom
I removed the sheets and so far she hasn't peed outside her liter box! I used resolve and bissel pet odor eliminator. aw thanks you are so sweet but I live in northern VA it is at least 3 hrs drive! I already edited my next shipping for Mr Chewy trying the recommended brand, I looked in area but the stores here don't have the products mentioned in stock (pet smart, pet-co,Walmart)

For some reason I cant reply to posts individually, I get error messages.

Okay so far today she didn't pee on the carpet which is nice she used her litter box after I removed the sheets! I am ordering Dr. Elseys as recommended and will get her a larger litter box !
while I'm typing she is snoozing on my belly lol :cat:

Thanks again everyone!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sima , all paws crossed! Sounds like progress yah!
Head smooches sent
(And btw, if ANY product doesn't work for you from Mr Chewy-
Call in and they go above and beyond for customer service !
They had me donate a product that didn't work for us and issued a refund)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@GoldHazel @Yoda mom
I removed the sheets and so far she hasn't peed outside her liter box! I used resolve and bissel pet odor eliminator. aw thanks you are so sweet but I live in northern VA it is at least 3 hrs drive! I already edited my next shipping for Mr Chewy trying the recommended brand, I looked in area but the stores here don't have the products mentioned in stock (pet smart, pet-co,Walmart)

For some reason I cant reply to posts individually, I get error messages.

Okay so far today she didn't pee on the carpet which is nice she used her litter box after I removed the sheets! I am ordering Dr. Elseys as recommended and will get her a larger litter box !
while I'm typing she is snoozing on my belly lol :cat:

Thanks again everyone!

@sima sounds to me that it was the sheet just like when I had a problem using a bath towel under our litter box. If you didn't order Dr. Elsey's yet, put it off as a future option in case you need it. Don't get me wrong, that litter helped with my little girl Miss Violet. It's wonderful for attracting them to the litter box. I wish you'd try the Nature's Miracle though so that there isn't any scent that can be picked up for a later accident.

I'm so glad to hear that the sheet removal worked for now. Keeping fingers crossed for your sake. LOL That's one thing I cannot tolerate...is when any of my pets decided to use my floors, bed, etc. as their toilet.

renewedmind

Banned
I wonder... I have heard of other Sphynx useing a potty outside the litter box but only when there human companion was at work... Sadly someone in my state is having this problem every time during the day they go to work his Sphynx will go and use the potty in the same spot in his apartment but only when he isn't home so he is rehomeing him because its going to cost him thousands to the apartment complex management company ... Sad :(

Back