Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

DoomGloomSphynx

Lairian
Doom recently got his cone of shame removed after a surgery. We noticed his face getting dirtier than usual while wearing the cone. We wiped him down a few times, but it didn't seem too bad. The day we took off the cone (day staples were removed) my husband bathed him. We use coconut oil and some pet shampoo.

The next day we noticed his face was peeling pretty badly. He often seeks out sun, but most of our windows have been covered in the past week. My husband thought it might have something to do with the new coconut oil. I'm assuming it's some sort of sunburn. We're going to try and show the vet the photos tomorrow. What do you guys think?

16fefd1a8a9949558f3a78ea29cd817a.jpg

Thanks!

farleys

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Aww poor guy. I wonder if he was allergic to the cone? Was it a plastic one? That looks painful. I would have the vet look.

DoomGloomSphynx

Lairian
Aww poor guy. I wonder if he was allergic to the cone? Was it a plastic one? That looks painful. I would have the vet look.

Could be! We peeled some off and he didn't seem upset. Usually he fusses when we hold him, but he let us peel off a good amount. It was a plastic cone. Didn't notice any peeling though until after it was removed.

DoomGloomSphynx

Lairian
Or maybe it just got rubbed raw from the cone. And then once it came off it was able to dry up and scab over? I dont know, just an idea...

Good point. I did notice he kept licking the inside of the cone.. Maybe that aided in the creation of a weird skin condition. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen this happen before on other areas of the body, usually the neck and yours looks similar. Turned out they did not rinse the area well. Took it right off with a wet paper towel. My guess is it is the coconut oil that might have been applied a bit too much. When you peeled it was just normal skin underneath and no sores etc? @DoomGloomSphynx

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Doom recently got his cone of shame removed after a surgery. We noticed his face getting dirtier than usual while wearing the cone. We wiped him down a few times, but it didn't seem too bad. The day we took off the cone (day staples were removed) my husband bathed him. We use coconut oil and some pet shampoo.

The next day we noticed his face was peeling pretty badly. He often seeks out sun, but most of our windows have been covered in the past week. My husband thought it might have something to do with the new coconut oil. I'm assuming it's some sort of sunburn. We're going to try and show the vet the photos tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
I hope its nothing serious, does it smell bad at all? Like a yeast infection maybe? I would stay clear of the coconut oil for a bit and see if thats the issue. Please keep us posted on your findings with the vet. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
You say you can peel it off easily? Do you see redness or a little wound when you peel it off? If not I think it's the coconut oil. If you see redness or wounds it's probably an allergic reaction to something. Good idea to let the vet check it!

DoomGloomSphynx

Lairian
I have seen this happen before on other areas of the body, usually the neck and yours looks similar. Turned out they did not rinse the area well. Took it right off with a wet paper towel. My guess is it is the coconut oil that might have been applied a bit too much. When you peeled it was just normal skin underneath and no sores etc? @DoomGloomSphynx

The skin underneath seems normal, but super smooth and new-ish. The top photo is the before and bottom is after we peeled some off. It's a bit red, but no sores. The first night we found it we added more coconut oil to help peel it off. Last night we just peeled one side to see if it comes back.

I'm hoping it just the coconut oil! I know we've left some oil on his back before because his skin gets super dry after baths. Are there any Sphynx safe moisturizers?

DoomGloomSphynx

Lairian
I hope its nothing serious, does it smell bad at all? Like a yeast infection maybe? I would stay clear of the coconut oil for a bit and see if thats the issue. Please keep us posted on your findings with the vet. :)

Thankfully no strange smell! Definitely suspicious of the coconut oil.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DoomGloomSphynx , healing head kisses sent ! What is his name?
I agree I would follow up with your vet - can you show the pics to your vet?
In case they are booked up for appointments? My vet will have me text her photos

do not put moisturizers on - too many ingredients that could be toxic or make It worse

I would follow up with vet , keeP him out of direct sun - window tint film members have installed
put a cat tree in non direct sun window helps too.

My adoptee had aweful sunning pigmentation -
I let it heal on its own -went away in a few months -

I do keep on hand Vetericyn VF spray or hydrogel for any skin stuff- you can ask your vet if this would be appropriate- we aren't vets so can only offer things to confirm use with your vet.
I wet a flat cotton pad gently dab skin -
Veteicyn is non toxic and works great on a variety of skin things.

Please keep us updated often

Last edited:

DoomGloomSphynx

Lairian
@DoomGloomSphynx , healing head kisses sent ! What is his name?
I agree I would follow up with your vet - can you show the pics to your vet?
In case they are booked up for appointments? My vet will have me text her photos

do not put moisturizers on - too many ingredients that could be toxic or make It worse

I would follow up with vet , keeP him out of direct sun - window tint film members have installed
put a cat tree in non direct sun window helps too.

My adoptee had aweful sunning pigmentation -
I let it heal on its own -went away in a few months -

I do keep on hand Vetericyn VF spray or hydrogel for any skin stuff- you can ask your vet if this would be appropriate- we aren't vets so can only offer things to confirm use with your vet.
I wet a flat cotton pad gently dab skin -
Veteicyn is non toxic and works great on a variety of skin things.

Please keep us updated often

His name is Doom! And his sister's name is Gloom :)

Thanks so much! It looks a bit better today. We're thinking Gloom might have helped him clean up... but the UV film is definitely going up when I get home from work! We'll ask the vet about the Vetericyn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DoomGloomSphynx , I also love Hylyt shampoo and Avenalyt shampoo I get the same place as the Vetericyn VF

Hylyt amd Avenalyt are hypoallergenic soap free and ez to rinse.

I included a pic of Batman's sun pigmentation the day I adopted him -
It looked aweful - I just left it alone , kept him out of sun , amd used Hylyt & Avenalyt shampoo for spa days

PS: please please when you get a chance post pics of Doom n Gloom In an intro thread in "My Sphynx Cat Tail"

Welcome the lair family! Looking forward to your journey with us
Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly group! ::)

Keep us updated on Doom :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@DoomGloomSphynx hello and welcome.

A lot of members here do not use coconut oil anymore as it becomes a dirt magnet. The only area I will use coconut oil on my sphynx cats is on just two of them that have dirty bums. Literally a dab on a cotton ball and that's it.

Also, many members here (including myself) use Pet D'Grease Shampoo by Pure Pet. I can use it on all of my sphynx cats except for one because he will land up with that brown peeling skin in certain areas like like your photo shows on your cat!

It took quite a few days to completely peel off to healthy skin underneath. So it is probably caused by either that new coconut oil you used for some reason or that in combination with the sun as it may have acted like for humans when we put oils on and go and sit in the sun.

I'm not sure what particular shampoo you used for your sphynx, but I would only go out and get AvenaLyt Shampoo with Oatmeal & Aloe and gently bathe in that and rinse, rinse, rinse very well. No exfoliating gloves now either, just a baby washcloth. This will all help sooth the skin and rinse away and residue of what was left on the skin and help rid the skin of all that dead brown skin.

I'm 100% sure this will do the trick, if it continues then certainly see the vet or a vet of dermatology. But being that this is what my cat had on him (not as much though), I can pretty much say that it's not anything serious or ongoing. Just keep your sphynx out of the sun for right now please.

Let us know how things go. Wishing you the best, don't panic, it will be fine in a few days I'm sure. Sooth the skin with the AvenaLyt.

DoomGloomSphynx

Lairian
@DoomGloomSphynx , I also love Hylyt shampoo and Avenalyt shampoo I get the same place as the Vetericyn VF

Hylyt amd Avenalyt are hypoallergenic soap free and ez to rinse.
HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs & Cats, 16-oz bottle - Chewy.com
AvenaLyt Shampoo with Aloe & Oatmeal for Dogs & Cats, 16-oz bottle - Chewy.com

I included a pic of Batman's sun pigmentation the day I adopted him -
It looked aweful - I just left it alone , kept him out of sun , amd used Hylyt & Avenalyt shampoo for spa days

PS: please please when you get a chance post pics of Doom n Gloom In an intro thread in "My Sphynx Cat Tail"

Welcome the lair family! Looking forward to your journey with us
Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly group! ::)

Keep us updated on Doom :)

We use AvenaLyt currently, but the baths are always a battle! There's a good chance he didn't get rinsed well enough. Looks like someone gets a double bath!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@DoomGloomSphynx That is usually the case when I have seen pics like yours...thankfully it is nothing to really worry about, but I agree it is frightening when you see it happen over night. Obviously I have been there and done that...lol. I have not used shampoo on their heads/faces for years now and only use wipes. They did not like it and I took too many shortcuts trying to rinse and paid for it. They actually like when I clean their face/chins with the wipes and scrub them lol.

Patti

marti Patterson

Lairian

Thanks!

marti Patterson

Lairian
I had this same thing happen to my hairless Hank. It was the coconut oil...a bad reaction to it. Its called crusty skin, over oil production from the coconut oil. My Hank would get this all ovet his head, ears, neck and mouth! He loved when i scrubbed it off. ! Poor guy...Anyway, stay away from coconut oil, or any oil. Use Hylyt shampoo. So gentle and safe, perfectly balanced. Poor little kitty. Hugs to him

Back