Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

people wanting cheap sphynx :(

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok so I just saw this ad in the local ebay classifieds and it breaks my heart to see people looking for a "Sphynx Bargain"
Details forsphynx kittens wanted
Address:Hickman, CA 95323 (map) Date Posted:10/02/10
i am looking to own a young sphyx...coatless no fur what so ever...100% bald...will to pay no more than $500

Ad ID: 6311944

Read more: sphynx kittens wanted | Hickman | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 6311944
I hope the ad showed up above. I sent this person an email saying : Sphynx are a very special and expensive breed. If you can't afford to buy one at a reasonable price, than you can't afford to own one. I can just see them bargain hunting like it's just a thing they gotta have not a loving companion they want to share their life with.
:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Bella07

Banned
I know! I know! I know!

Anyone who is interested in purchasing a Sphynx needs to research, research, and, well, research some more! When I see ads such as this one...Well, it just drives me a tad bit crazy. :Sweat:

looking for an adorable sphynx cat ;( plzzz!!!!!! - Free

"im looking for a free sphynx cat, im an animal lover and ill love to have one of this beautiful cats ;) please contact mi at..."

susi794

Staff member
LOL...I want a million dollars. Guess I'll post an ad to see if I can find that too!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is in my area.
I hate people like that.
Sadly some of the kitten mill sphynx breeders here may write them and they will have a very sick cat but it will be deserved.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Research. Research. Research.
A cheap Sphynx kitten upfront may turn into a sick kitty with long term, expensive health issues. So if you are not in the position to pay at least twice as much at the vet, then you should reconsider your expectations.

ON EDIT: I want to add to my above comment. I think it is unrealistic to think you can find a 100% bald Sphynx kitten for under $500. This person would have better luck finding a healthy, retired older Sphynx in this price range.

Last edited:
I dunno, I can understand that if you know the breed you know it's expensive, but sometimes people just want to see if they can not have to spend nearly a thousand dollars (not that I'm complaining) so as long as they aren't idiots I think it's okay to ask as long as you understand the breed and it's needs. I only paid $25 dollars for Dita (not including the $20 for her doxy since she had a cold) though I wasn't actually looking and posting ads, I just got a call from a shelter.

Pyramid

Lairian
Those types of ads rub me the wrong way as well. Any ethical resposible breeder would never respond to an ad of that nature, however, there are those that mass produce kittens and will be happy to sell a sick kitten for $500.00

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feel the SAME EXACT WAY about people who want English Bulldogs!!
If you pay $600 for an English Bulldog, you will get the health guarantee of one! upsets me so much :(

In order to successfully bred, raise and own a bulldog you need money to support the bred. they are an expensive bred- plain and simple.

They are prone to A LOT of health issues.. if you buy one for cheap, you definitely will not get a very good health clearance or good pedigree.

holly_savage

Banned
I feel the SAME EXACT WAY about people who want English Bulldogs!!
If you pay $600 for an English Bulldog, you will get the health guarantee of one! upsets me so much :(

In order to successfully bred, raise and own a bulldog you need money to support the bred. they are an expensive bred- plain and simple.

They are prone to A LOT of health issues.. if you buy one for cheap, you definitely will not get a very good health clearance or good pedigree.

$600!!!! Aren;t they usually like $2500 +++????

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I didn't get 5e based on his price, I got him based on location and availability -- and paid a premium for that -- I didn't do as much research as I should have, but I'm pretty sure he'll be healthy long term.

My second sphynx, Pharaoh, who financially was quite a bargain, I also didn't shop for -- he happened to be available at a time when my long term finances could support any health care he might need. I was fortunate that he's needed pretty much nothing at all.

the thought of getting one based just on price... sigh... I can't think about a pet based on $$, just the amount of heartache a 'bargain' might cost.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You get what you pay for in life, if you buy a cheap car, you can more or less guarantee it's gonna have problems and so it goes with sphynx. I think asking for a cheap sphynx just shows their ignorance and i would NEVER want them to own one!

They're the sort of person who in 6 months will be swapping it on craigslist for a washer/dryer!

Shame on them!! :Angry:

X

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have 3 cats who I got as kittens for under 500 each. :ThumbsUp: Jack was around 900 and he is very unhealthy, and I have had no problems with the one I paid $$$$ for. It just depends, and you can get lucky if your patient. Ben was from craiglist for 350! He was 3 months old when I got him. The two sister are from a breeder but I have had zero issues with them minus what Juno got from Jack. I haven't had URI issues in a while. I had some sneezing when the 2 new girls got here but it was just stress because it went away on its own. Just saying you CAN get kittens for under 500 if your patient and know where to look.

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
when i first set out in the search to find a shynx breeder i found one catery who advertised their kittens for just £500 but after researxh i realized this was way to cheap and the breeder was also an idiot so i searched further affeld and now i am in contact with a breeder from france with amaizing lineage and their kittens range from £1000 and up i am willing to pay the maximum for the perfect kitten the only down fall is that i am now waiting until next september before i will actually get my kitten but i'm sure it will bw worth it. :ThumbsUp:

They're the sort of person who in 6 months will be swapping it on craigslist for a washer/dryer! Shame on them!! :Angry: X[/QUOTE said:
I actually saw some lady on craigslist today who was offering her old fridge for a "purebreed sphinx (her spelling), bengel (again, her spelling, or munchkin). It wanted to hit her. :Angry:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I actually saw some lady on craigslist today who was offering her old fridge for a "purebreed sphinx (her spelling), bengel (again, her spelling, or munchkin). It wanted to hit her. :Angry:

That lady sounds ignorant. :Angry: There should be a law against stupid people owning sphynx...or any cat for that matter! :Wink:

Bella07

Banned

:Surprise::Surprise::Surprise:

I have a pair of 10 year old tennis shoes, 5 old pairs of blue jeans, and 6 T-shirts, plus a baseball cap. I'm willing to trade all of that, for a "sphinx!"

Who wants to trade with me????

LucyFurrr

Lairian
That lady sounds ignorant. :Angry: There should be a law against stupid people owning sphynx...or any cat for that matter! :Wink:

Agreed. I feel the same way about people having children! There should be some sort of program and exam for pet ownership and parenthood. It`s easier to pop out a kid than get your drivers license!

Every litter I get the same thing. ÃŒf kittens are X amount, that`s what you have to pay. Stop offering me babysitting, broken down cars, other animals, and even furniture in exchange!!!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
This reminds me of the time someone wanted to trade me a snake for a sphynx kitten:Angry:

As for humans I manage a ped office and see all kinds:Dizzy: can not tell you how many times a day I think to my self why:Shok:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
$600!!!! Aren;t they usually like $2500 +++????

Um.. YES!! exactly my point! i have a cousin who bought one for $600 and the dog was shipped to them!! apparently now he's asking me about stud service.... - i didnt know what to say...... you plan to offer a stud service on a 600 bully- yikes!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Agreed. I feel the same way about people having children! There should be some sort of program and exam for pet ownership and parenthood. It`s easier to pop out a kid than get your drivers license!

Every litter I get the same thing. ÃŒf kittens are X amount, that`s what you have to pay. Stop offering me babysitting, broken down cars, other animals, and even furniture in exchange!!!!

Yes!!! thank you, tests for kids and pets!!! Otherwise NONE FOR YOU :ThumbsUp:

Back