Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

People who call your shpynx ugly

layniecakes

Lairian
Ahhh I feel like I have soo much to say/ask about so many different topics and I'm trying to space them out haha.

By far the BIGGEST thing I wasn't expecting about deciding to get a sphynx, was everyone in my life telling me how dang ugly they think my cat is. I can understand shock, but I wasn't expecting people to be SO tactless!

What is with people?! I'm getting so sick of hearing how disgusting my cat is, and how I wont even like Bones because he is so ugly, and how nobody wants come to my house because there will be a hideous sphynx there and it will smell to high heaven. My coworkers will say this and then turn around and beg me to bring him into work one day so they can meet him! I said "Um no, I'm not bringing my cat in just so you can talk crap about him."

Besides that, I've just had a lot of people in general tell me what I need to do regarding him. Declawing was a HUGE thing for a while because my family all felt very strongly that I need to get my kitty declawed and there is just no way that's happening to any cat in my care. I finally made my husband watch the paw project so he's on my side finally but its annoying defending my cat and my choices all the time.

All in all, I feel like: If you think they're ugly, don't get one! But don't tell me what I should be doing with mine, and I don't need your opinions because I think he is gorgeous.

Has anyone else had this problem?!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ahhh I feel like I have soo much to say/ask about so many different topics and I'm trying to space them out haha.

By far the BIGGEST thing I wasn't expecting about deciding to get a sphynx, was everyone in my life telling me how dang ugly they think my cat is. I can understand shock, but I wasn't expecting people to be SO tactless!

What is with people?! I'm getting so sick of hearing how disgusting my cat is, and how I wont even like Bones because he is so ugly, and how nobody wants come to my house because there will be a hideous sphynx there and it will smell to high heaven. My coworkers will say this and then turn around and beg me to bring him into work one day so they can meet him! I said "Um no, I'm not bringing my cat in just so you can talk crap about him."

Besides that, I've just had a lot of people in general tell me what I need to do regarding him. Declawing was a HUGE thing for a while because my family all felt very strongly that I need to get my kitty declawed and there is just no way that's happening to any cat in my care. I finally made my husband watch the paw project so he's on my side finally but its annoying defending my cat and my choices all the time.

All in all, I feel like: If you think they're ugly, don't get one! But don't tell me what I should be doing with mine, and I don't need your opinions because I think he is gorgeous.

"Hell man, your cats look like scrotums"
"Never seen such an ugly thing in my life"
"Did you loose your mind?"
"Yak, yak, yak, yak"
"They look like ET, only uglier"

Ans so on and so on. I'm afraid all the other lairians will have heard similair things about their cats.

I got used to it. Funniest thing is...Since I introduce my boys to other people as "I have 2 sphynx cats and I know it, they're ugly", people say "oh no, don't say they're ugly. They're just different and probably very cute". :rolleyes:

layniecakes

Lairian
lol the scrotum comment! I get that so much and I haven't even had my gotcha day yet haha.

This is honestly one of the reasons I joined sphynx lair, its such a pleasant change to see/read about people who love their nakeds! I'm sure I'll get used to it, its just annoyyyyyinngggg right now :stop:

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've never cared what people think of my babies if they think them ugly that's their opinion which like it or not right or wrong they entitled too and my boys and me don't care my babies only care about if I take care of them and love them so at end of day that's what's important to me as long as I love them they love me that's all that matters

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh yes, my whole family including co-workers said she was ugly. My sister said Piper looked like something from Tales of the Cript. My male co-worker said if he was walking through the jungle and saw "that thing" he wouldn't touch it.

Now I've won them over and they think she is adorable. I just have to laugh it off because some of the stuff people come up with is kind of funny when I think about how cute and sweet she is.

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Many times, won't be the first and surely won't be the last...They don't know what there missing! No pun intended - but have you seen our "pretty Ugly Photos" thread? - Pretty Ugly Photos- Sphynxlair version (post your photos) :)

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My mother said Ossi looked like a plucked chicken the first time she saw him, but she's not a big fan of animals.... but then I asked her to hold him and feel the skin and she more or less changed her mind about him. He's very social and climbs up on all our guests and I'm telling you, noone has been unmoved by these creatures!

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hehe, "normal"people just don't understand what it is to love a sphynx.
I've had comments such as:

"So is it like a bald chihuahua?" or
"Oh my god, get that thing away from me!!!"

And my favourite:

"Oh, poor thing, what's wrong with it?"

Mostly though, once they take the time to say hello, get kissed and snuggled on and experience the vibrating purring warmness against their chest as they hold her, they seem to fall in love. Maybe not to the point where they'd actually own one themselves, but I've had shopkeepers beg me to bring her back for visits and even my dementia patients at work, who remember little of day to day life or names or faces, ask me excitedly how my hairless kitten is. Rosie definitely makes an impression.

Forget the ignorant people who aren't wanting to open their hearts and minds to something a little unusual, it's their loss. And you can always snap back at them when they make nasty comments about your baby and tell them how ugly you think their human children are!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I can't say, I've had this problem. But, it's my life, my business,
and they are missing out on one of the greatest loves, happiness,
fun, companionship, and rewarding pleasures, there is.
It's all unconditional too.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I do not get it much. Oddly, I've encountered this more in pet stores than among friends and family.

I have a few friends that I know do not care for the look of a Sphynx at all, but they aren't crass about it. Those who were unsure were turned around very fast once they met Max.

Ignore the naysayers and as mentioned, take every opportunity to express your joy and elation!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
most of us have gotten these "compliments" too. I teach high school Fashion classes, and my computer desktop (which everyone sees on a screen at the front of the class) is a slideshow of my 2 Sphynxes and their antics. At the beginning of each year, and at times throughout the year, I have to take some time to discuss my cats with the kids. It ALWAYS starts when someone says how ugly they are and how they (the kids) hate cats. I tell the kids about my cats and we discuss how different they are from "normal" cats. I tell the kids how Cleo does tricks and loves to travel and how silly Marcus A. A. can be. Then we discuss how polite people try not to hurt others by making rude or mean comments about differences. I tell them that in my room we CELEBRATE differences, and the cats are a reminder of that. The discussion (not a lecture--the kids always join in enthusastically) ends with a reminder that "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

My students almost always end up defending my cats and being proud that they are a symbol of our DIFFERENCES!

To say all of that in a shorter fashion--tell the haters that polite people follow the adage--"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!!"

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow... And I just had the following experience on Max's facebook page. I'm gobsmacked as these individuals are friends with an acquaintance of mine from Australia who is actually staying in my home a little bit this month. Perhaps I overreacted, but I don't care.

Max1.png

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is why I am not nor will I ever be on Facebook. It seems that when people are on some of these "social media" sites, they think that they can be as nasty and rude as they like. The polite niceties that keep our society running seem to be in danger of being lost on these sites.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow...

@Cleopatra Beers , I agree... many of the Facebook groups and pages are home to trolls and unkind individuals. I'm still shocked this comes from a friend of a "friend".

@lealea, thank you, dearheart.

Max2b.png

Last edited:

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
[]

@Cleopatra Beers , I agree... many of the Facebook groups and pages are home to trolls and unkind individuals. I'm still shocked this comes from a friend of a "friend".

@lealea, thank you, dearheart.

View attachment 62975

Wow about sums it up! Don't reply. Just ignore her, she's not worth your breath. I think you can block people on Facebook. Lol, my own mother unfriended me! I don't care, since I'm rarely on there anyway, usually just to check out cat videos haha! I'm sorry you had such an outpost on Max's page. Poor Max. Poor you. Hugs X

Toa and Ross

Staff member
most of us have gotten these "compliments" too. I teach high school Fashion classes, and my computer desktop (which everyone sees on a screen at the front of the class) is a slideshow of my 2 Sphynxes and their antics. At the beginning of each year, and at times throughout the year, I have to take some time to discuss my cats with the kids. It ALWAYS starts when someone says how ugly they are and how they (the kids) hate cats. I tell the kids about my cats and we discuss how different they are from "normal" cats. I tell the kids how Cleo does tricks and loves to travel and how silly Marcus A. A. can be. Then we discuss how polite people try not to hurt others by making rude or mean comments about differences. I tell them that in my room we CELEBRATE differences, and the cats are a reminder of that. The discussion (not a lecture--the kids always join in enthusastically) ends with a reminder that "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

My students almost always end up defending my cats and being proud that they are a symbol of our DIFFERENCES!

To say all of that in a shorter fashion--tell the haters that polite people follow the adage--"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!!"

You are a wonderful teacher!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You are a wonderful teacher!
Thank you!!! Your nice compliment has made my Sunday a lot nicer! There are days that I agrree with you and days that I think I am the world's worst teacher (when I've tried at least 5 different ways to get information into the kids' heads and it wasn't happening), but most of the time things work. I am always so amazed at how people who may be very nice, kind and sweet when you see them in person can turn into the worst kind of people when they are "anonymous" on the Internet. I am always reminding kids (these are teens--almost adults) how hurtful their words can be, and reminding them that they would not like it if somebody said those things about them and their families, pets, sibs, etc. They usually get it, butt there are always a few who just don't care. They seem to be the ones who have the worst family life too.... There is probably a connection there...

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Thank you!!! Your nice compliment has made my Sunday a lot nicer! There are days that I agrree with you and days that I think I am the world's worst teacher (when I've tried at least 5 different ways to get information into the kids' heads and it wasn't happening), but most of the time things work. I am always so amazed at how people who may be very nice, kind and sweet when you see them in person can turn into the worst kind of people when they are "anonymous" on the Internet. I am always reminding kids (these are teens--almost adults) how hurtful their words can be, and reminding them that they would not like it if somebody said those things about them and their families, pets, sibs, etc. They usually get it, butt there are always a few who just don't care. They seem to be the ones who have the worst family life too.... There is probably a connection there...

Teachers who doubt about being good at their job cause sometimes the information will not get into the kids heads are THE BEST teacher there are! Cause that are the teacher who try and try and try to find a way to let it work. So you just prooved I'm right to say you're a wonderful teacher:).

I used to work as a supervisor in youth care with childeren who have a very bad familiy life. Some of them didn't care anymore, not for others (and sometimes not for themselves). In their short life they learned that nobody cared for them, at least not the people who should care for them like their mother or father.
Specially for these childeren it's important that they see that there are people who do care, care about pets, other people and care about them. Maybe they don't show it but caring for them can make a huge difference in their life. I'm sure being such a good teacher as you are you already made that difference for some kids!

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow and Wow to all that above !!!

I had my FB page not private set at first and someone told me that " You need to kill that THING, its not supposed to live! " and I deleted that person and set my FB page to private and I don't accept just anyone .. and who ever is rude, i delete! Easy as that. One time someone told me, I should just put them on the setting that i don't see their stuff on my feed, naahhh too easy i just delete them totally .. easy for me :)

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I get this all the time too, but normally from people who have never actually seen a Sphynx. Most people who meet Frida love her. I just don't tell people about her except to say that I have a cat. My favourite shock reactions from people so far though are: "what kind of dog is that?!", "omg it's el chupacabra!", and "I thought that was a ceramic pig in the window!" I like to just laugh at people's ignorance, as that is exactly what this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Xandria, that essay is wonderful and to the point. As I said above, when people are on the Internet, where they are anonymous and invisible, it is much easier to be abusive. It reminds me of the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment, where pschyology students were divided into "prisoners" and "jailers." The experiment was stopped early because the jailers not only became abusive, but were so abusive that there was fear that they would badly injure or even kill the prisoners. Thanks Xandria!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would definitely delete them and set my viewers to family only.
That's what I did. I don't accept a lot of request, because, people curse
have bad talk, pictures, etc. I don't want to hear it or see it.
I've had to unfriendly some too.
I am a Christian and I don't want to hear it or see it.

Back