Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

People who call your shpynx ugly

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I get this all the time too, but normally from people who have never actually seen a Sphynx. Most people who meet Frida love her. I just don't tell people about her except to say that I have a cat. My favourite shock reactions from people so far though are: "what kind of dog is that?!", "omg it's el chupacabra!", and "I thought that was a ceramic pig in the window!" I like to just laugh at people's ignorance, as that is exactly what this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A ceramic pig? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's the most funny one I ever heard!

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not one single person had something nice to say when I got Dexter. No one even wanted to touch him. People thought I was insane. People, especially family, were SO mean - yet I didn't care. Dex has some fuzz (Peterbald) - and shortly after I got Gemma-(Canadian Sphynx) totally hairless. I got the same crap - except even worse because she looked more like a 'rat'.

But ya know what - it's been about a year now and every single person who had something mean or negative to say has changed their tune. Everyone is in love with them. The people who didn't want to pet Dexter now want to take him home with them! And Gemma is so cute and smart that people are now saying they wished their cats behaved like her.

Ignore all the negativity - they'll come around.

Annika Laybourn

Lairian
The great thing about people not understanding the hairless thing is that once they meet a sphynx - they have to admit that they are great! I have a friend who used to have a maine coon, and now have a normal "farm cat" (no race). She was all like "I dont understand this, why the hairless cat?" - in between lines she said that she thinks they are a weird choice and probably ugly. But - then she met him. AND HA! After half an hour she said to me "Ok, now I understand the hairless thing, he's really really sweet". He charms everyone that meets him. And people that say things less than nice I dont bother with. I like that he's different and that one girl that saw him through the window gave a scream and shouted "Whats that?!?" :D They are a bit freaky to look at, but they are the best cats ever!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As Max, Hubby and I were having a three way cuddle session Hubby asked me, "Can you imagine having a furred cat now?"

And I had to admit that as much as I love ALL cats, it is truly a Sphynx I wish to always provide a home for. I've never doted on nor loved another non-human as much as I have Max my naked cat!

peachfuzz

Lairian
Definitely gotten this one too but the funny thing is they usually say that while cuddling him and petting him. So he may not visually be their cup of tea but that personality wins them over every time!

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just joining this thread, now. I'm fine with people telling me how very WEIRD-looking my cats are. I know; that's part of why I got them. They're my little aliens. If I'm repeatedly met with revulsion, though, then we need to have a talk. Why would we still be friends if you're going to outright insult us? That's my two cents, anyway.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I get all kinds of strange reactions to my girls.
But I actually asked one of my Aunts to either keep her comments to herself or leave my house at a small function I had last month!

It was the first time she was seeing my girls in person and every time on of them even so much as looked in her direction she has some snarky comment. Finally after about an hour I went and sat beside her and very quietly, so as not to include everyone else, said to her that if she couldn't at least show me the courtesy of keeping her thoughts to herself in my own home then perhaps she didn't need to be there."

Her eyes got huge and I just got up and walked away I didn't even give her the chance to say anything back. She was quiet for the rest of the night!!!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
But I actually asked one of my Aunts to either keep her comments to herself or leave my house at a small function I had last month!

It was the first time she was seeing my girls in person and every time on of them even so much as looked in her direction she has some snarky comment. Finally after about an hour I went and sat beside her and very quietly, so as not to include everyone else, said to her that if she couldn't at least show me the courtesy of keeping her thoughts to herself in my own home then perhaps she didn't need to be there."

Her eyes got huge and I just got up and walked away I didn't even give her the chance to say anything back. She was quiet for the rest of the night!!!

Good for you. I really don't understand people. Well, they just don't understand that our nakeds ARE our children. I've never met a more passionate, animal loving group as I have on the 'Lair.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Yeah! So glad that you did that! I think that it is important to show people that this behaviour is rude. I think a lot of people who say things to my face try to pass it off as a joke but if this is not a joke you would say about me it should not be a joke you say about my Sphynx either.

Char

Lairian
Hi there. I'm a mom to 3 chinese cresteds, and we had hairless guinea pigs for a while as well. I've had strangers, and family tell me my fur(less) babies are ugly or gross and so on.
At first I'd throw my fists up 'oh you wanna throw down? BRING IT'
since then I have calmed myself. If a person who is a total stranger to me says something negative about my kids, I point out (with a smile and a very polite manner) how insanely rude it is to speak to someone like that. They usually just stand there. Shocked. It's pretty great actually.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ambi121488

Lairian
Yes my friend and my mom were not into me getting a sphynx at first but they are starting to get better now that my daughter calls Hermione her sister . lol

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have all four babies pictures on my office wall (not my daughters take note) and my lovely co-works come in and say "OMG you have such cute Chihuahuas". I give them the look of death and say those are hairless cats not dogs. gggrrrrrrr I love breaking in new co-workers!

WithLVoe

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I also have a photo of all my pets including Phoebe, i always get asked "what the hell is that?!?!" "ewww... whats wrong with it!"...
and other rude comments... I would never ever say that to anyone about someone elses pets!!! I HATE spiders, and ive run into people with pet spiders (tarantulas) and as much as i am terrified of them and hate them, I'll say "oh wow he/she is really neat although i am terrified of spiders".. i would never start going off on how ugly i think they are..etc... some ppl are just plain mean..

AlexaEels

Lairian
So far everyone I have shown pictures to has had nothing mean to say. I do have a friend that has always picked on the fact that I have bulldogs and asks when I will ever get a real dog, but honestly he loves them. He said that the sphynx breed fits our family well and nobody be knows could love a not real cat but me. Lol

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can't say that I have gotten a lot of negative comments about getting a sphynx. I work in a pet friendly environment and can take our pet's to work. First thing was when are you bringing her to work, from the co-workers that knew I was getting her. I do have a friend that is absolutely terrified of her though (she is working on that part) Some family members were a littler surprised, Others expected it as I like different things anyway.
I get a lot of questions like how do you pet her? Uh, just like any other pet is my usual response. Then it is followed up by what does she feel like.

AMEDooley

Lairian
I haven't even brought Anubis home yet and I already am getting these comments. One from a cat owner. Luckily one of my coworkers is reserving comments until after she meets him.

Back