Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

People with children!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm pissed. I'm tired of people with children who think I should volunteer (or even be forced) to work certain holidays because I don't have children and them spending the holiday with their children is more important than me spending it with my family.

WTH is that all about anyway? What makes these people think that squirting out children suddenly means their holidays are more important than mine? My dad is 78 and mom is 71, don't they think I want to spend as many holidays with them as possible? Realistically speaking, it's not like they'll probably have many more! Don't give me that crap of "wanting to make memories for your children" - your kids are 8 months and 2 yrs old, they aren't going to remember a damned thing. Don't you think I might like the memories of a holiday spent with my parents if they pass away?

I'm really angry about this, I just had that argument this morning with a co-worker who thought I'd be delighted to work Christmas for her even if it messed up my family's plans - which weren't easy to make either, given my already screwy schedule. Then she had the nerve to whine to our boss, so much so that he broke down and called me to ask if I'd change my mind.

If people want to have children, fine. But it doesn't give them special rights or privileges. Their holiday stops right where mine begins.

Grrrr. Now I suppose I'll be called a Grinch too!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
And they can take time off for sick kids and school plays? My cat is sick!

tessblack

Banned
I agree with you. I know it is hard having kids but it should not give you extra privileges that is for sure. We don't have kids and that happens at my job as well. Family is family and I don't care if it is a pet, friends, parents, kids, it is all the same. Are you going to have to work?

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you going to have to work?
Heck no. It's my holiday off and I intend on taking it off. And I also informed my boss to not even bother calling me if someone calls in "sick" cause it ain't happening!

tessblack

Banned
Heck no. It's my holiday off and I intend on taking it off. And I also informed my boss to not even bother calling me if someone calls in "sick" cause it ain't happening!

Great, have a great holiday!

gizmo6370

Banned
I totally now what you mean....and not having kids doesn't make your holidays less important....scr*w your boss and co-worker ( admin we are in need of a middle finger smiley..lol :LOL: )

spygirl

Banned
Good for you! I hate things like that! Just because you don't have kids you don't have family? People can be so insensitive.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
wow, i can believe she took it as far as to get ahold of the boss over this!! When you told her about what was important to you, she should have recognized your passion. RUDE!!!
I agree, people don't often think of aspect.
Stand up for yourself girl!! DONT work for her!!!

as for holidays- we actually celebrate xmas eve on the 23rd w/ my step kids, and the 24th (xmas eve) is actually our Christmas morning/day. then they spend xmas morning/day with their mom.- she doesn't have family that live near by... we dont want her to spend christmas alone. it works out very nicely for us.

Gizzymom

Banned
I totally agree, Marlene!! I get that too when I want to take vacation days in the summer... People are like, you don't have kids that are off school... I don't give a sh*t!! I like warm weather!!

I am like you... I refuse to give in... That might make me a b*tch, but vacations are on a first come, first serve basis... you should have thought ahead..
You snooze, you lose!!:LOL:

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
YES! I completely agree with you.

I've just deleted a very long anti-child rant that was probably way too over the top.

We'll just leave it at "I agree with you." It's safer that way. :Laugh:

TotenEngel

Banned
Here here!!!
Over here people get paid maternity,paternity leave, tax credits, child benefits and then the right to moan that they need time off over school holiday/when there kids are ill etc etc.....
Its a permanat gripe of mine! Where's my benefits for being sensible enough not to bring any more children into this already over crowded world we live in???
(and dont even get me started on people that get IVF treatment on the NHS!!)

Well done for standing up for your rights as a human being who doesnt spawn!

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My kids are all grown. Thinking back, I don't recall ever asking someone to cover a holiday for me just because I had kids. We just worked around my schedule and celebrated when we could. Since the kids got older, I volunteered to work Christmas day so others could spend time with their families.... because honestly I HATE all that obligatory family holiday garbage.

As far as the cats go, my current boss is a dream. When Gabriel had his surgery she told me to take as much time off as I needed to care for him. She understands, the cats are my "family" and I need to be there for them.

Glad you stood up for yourself. Enjoy your holiday with your parents! (and your feline friends!)

susi794

Staff member
You go, Girl! Way to represent, Marlene! I am also without children and my coworker gets out on time because she has to pick up her kids from daycare, but I am expected to stay until after my contract time because my time isn't as valuable, I guess. I have a family too. I am proud of you for standing up to her. She chose to have her kids, they aren't your responsibility.
Have a great Christmas with your parents and I don't think for one minute you are the Grinch.
Love ya,
Susi and the gang

danimcd

Lairian
yes i agree!

i think if your family is your pets, or your kids, or your parents and you took the time off first then too bad...

its bad enough people are deemed spinster or oldmaid because they don't want kids, or just couldn't... now the family you have, isn't "worth" the same ammount of time as someone eles' family. it really bothers me.

i mean sure, lets say there is an emergency, that's different, but if you knew this was coming... WTF? you should have booked that time earlier.

i never wanted my own kids untill recently, but even now, i have the same views about stuff like that...

so good job on you!

holly_savage

Banned
I agree too. Just because you don't have little kids should not mean that you automatically don't need xmas time with family, friends and pets!

pooner

Banned
I completely understand, I don't have children either and I use to work for an employer who balked when I needed a day off but if a coworker needed a day off for a child issue it was never questioned or balked at!! So frustrating! If you need a day off you need a day off and it inconveniences everyone regardless of the reason the day off is needed. And as far as working holidays, I don't want to children or not and if I'm not scheduled to I'm not volunteering.

Have a Merry Christmas!

I had the same discussion with my boss. We needed people to work the stat holidays and I was told to ask certain people because "they don't have kids so it shouldn't be a problem". So I told him that I was not aware that holidays were only important for people with children and that if we were to get down to it and be like that, then the people without kids were even more entitled to those days off as they are not taking days off throughout the year for sick kids, no daycare, school appts, dr appts, etc. He said "point taken" and I smugly walked back into my office and asked the entire team for volunteers to work. And it was a person with 2 kids that is working the stat holidays!!!

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Okay.....I'm just going to say I agree with you for the most part. It actually ended up costing me a good work friend. She assumed I would happily work the crappy day/hours since I don't have a husband or kids and she does, and that people without kids should not get vacation during the summer since parents "are more important than those people 'without lives' " as she said. I asked if when she was single, if her needs/wants didn't matter and she told me that it was irrelevant because now she IS married with kids! Being at a job where getting prime vacation days is so competitive that it's practically an Olympic sport, it drove a wedge between us and we just could not work it out :(

I feel a rant coming on so I better leave it at that ;)

Last edited:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You go Miss Grinch! Yup, I squirted out 2 children but that does not give me the right to mess with someone elses Holiday. I think if someone is to work on their day off, vacation day or Holiday - they should get paid triple. That should be mandatory. And that wimpy employee that went boohooing to the boss should GROW UP! :Angry: The boss sounds wimpy too. Stand your ground!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had the same discussion with my boss. We needed people to work the stat holidays and I was told to ask certain people because "they don't have kids so it shouldn't be a problem". So I told him that I was not aware that holidays were only important for people with children and that if we were to get down to it and be like that, then the people without kids were even more entitled to those days off as they are not taking days off throughout the year for sick kids, no daycare, school appts, dr appts, etc. He said "point taken" and I smugly walked back into my office and asked the entire team for volunteers to work. And it was a person with 2 kids that is working the stat holidays!!!
GOOD FOR YOU.:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
While I agree about the holiday thing, the comment about ill children irked me because I have the sickest kid in the world. I am a single mom, (I was married and he cheated) and I have no one else to watch him, if he is sick that is it. I AM working the holiday btw.

Ripley

Lairian
Ha! Not everyone is like that. I was a paramedic for many years while raising my twins alone. I worked the holidays for the extra money and moved Christmas. A common question around my house was "Mom, when will Christmas be this year?" It didn't bother us...we just moved on. Now that I'm older and the kids are grown I have moved back to my home town. I certainly understand the importance of being around aging parents during the holidays and feel I have earned my right to do so. You have every right to be with your family and feel good doing it. Have a wonderful Christmas with your folks!

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We have had some of these issues at work too. Its very irritating. I totally understand. I am glad you stood up for yourself Marlene.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry you had to deal with that Marlene. Hope you enjoy Xmas with your parents- you deserve it!