Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Perfect Temperature?

What is the perfect temperature for a sphynx?

• 60-65*F

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70*F

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

stefanie412

Lairian
I'm not sure if there is already a thread about this, but what do you guys consider to be the perfect temperature for our sphynxies?

During the summer we tend to keep our house at a warm 78*F. When I say warm, I mean I believe it to be warm, the babies however, still sleep cuddled up together under blankets! During the winter they have their own portable heater that I put in their bedroom (Yes, they have their own bedroom. Equipped with their very own twin sized bed and a 6' tall cat tree.) The room probably gets to a little over 80*F in the winter and the babies love it in their, but they still want to cuddle under blankets.

So, what do you guys think is the perfect temperature for a sphynx?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We keep our house at 68 F in the winter and 78 - 80 F in the summer. But Cleopatra loves being on her catio when it is 110 F outside. She does wear sweaters in the winter. Marcus shivers in the breeze of the ceiling fans right now, and he will probably also wear sweaters in the winter.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not sure how this corresponds to Celsius but both Frida and I like to keep the house about 5• above room temp. Then we snuggle.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I keep my house 70 in the summer and 69 in the winter. I am very hot natured and I could not
stand it any warmer.
Izmae does fine. She has plenty of throws, blankets and three beds, so she will stay warm
and does.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The perfect temp for mine seems to be whatever temperature it is underneath my blanket and next to my tummy haha. We blast the a/c in summer to keep it around 70-72 and we like it to be about 68 in winter. She is an expert blanket burrower and even knows how to wrap it around herself like a burrito so I don't think she ever gets too cold :)

stefanie412

Lairian
@Hairless Blessing Fluffy hates wearing clothes for the most part, but if shes really cold shell bring me one of her sweaters to put on her, or shell drag her blanket to me if she wants me to wrap her up. But I leave blankets out for them to curl up in. I have one blanket thats especially fuzzy and warm and they sleep in it a lot. And of course there's usually the option for them to cuddle with me or their dad :p

Sphynx Asylum Mom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We keep our house about 71-73* in summer and about 68 in winter. The girls are typically fine and we have blankets everywhere they can cuddle in whenever they want and it is usually in our lap. They are very good at burrowing into one on their own. They do not wear clothes regularly but I do have a variety of sweaters and shirts for them if needed.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Cleopatra Beers 110*!! That's really hot! It gets to 105 here in the summer. I want to have a cat patio, but that will have to wait until I own my own home. I bet the cats would love to be outside in 105* lol
Yeah, we are in the Mojave Desert, and the hottest we have been this year is 118! Where in California are you? My father's family comes from Red Bluff, at the northern edge of the Central Valley. I remember spending summers there, and the heat was pretty bad. I think 100 to 105 was pretty common.

Since Cleo has grown up, our rule of thumb in summer is, if it is hotter than 105, she can only be out for 15 minutes max. If it is over 110, she cannot go out until sunset. When she comes in, her white parts are really pink from the heat, so she has to go back to a white tummy before she goes out again. Fortunately, Cleo doesn't like the sun, so she doesn't sit in the sun, but the heat is brutal. And she argues with us when it is time to come in or she can't go out.

joeturbo26

Lairian
Luigi wears clothes 365 days a year. I regret starting him wearing clothes because honestly he gets a little nuts if he's "naked" now. He turns into a wilderbeast if he is shirtless. lol.

I however keep my apartment at 69 degrees all year and he has 6 heating pads all over the place which you can often find him sleeping on. Sometimes in the summer I have to keep it even colder in the bedroom because when he cuddles he's so hot I start to sweat lol.

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have it set to 73 right now, but I tend to fiddle with it. When we are home it stays there. When we are at work it bumps up to 79 until about an hour before we get off. At night time we keep it around 75. In winter we stick with the same routine, but our house is regularly over 80 because it holds heat so well.

My boys wear shirts sometimes. 90% of the time they go naked. If they wear shirts during the day they turn into sweaty icky cats. Yuri and Nigel both run hot. About two degrees over normal for their internal temp when healthy. Don't know if that's a sphynx thing, or just for my kids. They also sleep on top of the cable box and Yuri has learned how to turn the xbox on to sleep behind it if he gets cold. We have blankets everywhere for them. Last night Nigel slept curled up in my robe in the corner of our bedroom.

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Also, I live in the Texas/New Mexico desert/sand dunes. It got to 119 Sunday, but it is very nice because it cools down to below 70 at night. I love living in the desert. Our sand is red/pink so the only downside is that I end up vacuuming twice as often.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We keep the house at 76 in the summer however the nakeds LOVE being on the screened in porch in the hot muggy GA heat of 100+ degrees. In the winter I have to say my house is freezing because of it's 16ft ceilings it is just too much $ to keep warm. My husband has built the nakeds a cool hideout for the winter with heating pads (it's a huge headboard for our bed). They LOVE it in the winter. They will go anywhere warm

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Also, I live in the Texas/New Mexico desert/sand dunes. It got to 119 Sunday, but it is very nice because it cools down to below 70 at night. I love living in the desert. Our sand is red/pink so the only downside is that I end up vacuuming twice as often.

I wish the desert here would cool down at night. During July and August, our nights can be as hot as 90 degrees. Our sand is yellow-brown and blows through every crevice in the house--no matter how much we seal it. So we also get to vaccuum and dust a LOT!

stefanie412

Lairian
Yeah, we are in the Mojave Desert, and the hottest we have been this year is 118! Where in California are you? My father's family comes from Red Bluff, at the northern edge of the Central Valley. I remember spending summers there, and the heat was pretty bad. I think 100 to 105 was pretty common.

Since Cleo has grown up, our rule of thumb in summer is, if it is hotter than 105, she can only be out for 15 minutes max. If it is over 110, she cannot go out until sunset. When she comes in, her white parts are really pink from the heat, so she has to go back to a white tummy before she goes out again. Fortunately, Cleo doesn't like the sun, so she doesn't sit in the sun, but the heat is brutal. And she argues with us when it is time to come in or she can't go out.
I live about 30 min away from Fresno in a small town. The normal for the past couple weeks has been between 100-105*F. Does Cleo tan from being out in the sun?

stefanie412

Lairian
We keep the house at 76 in the summer however the nakeds LOVE being on the screened in porch in the hot muggy GA heat of 100+ degrees. In the winter I have to say my house is freezing because of it's 16ft ceilings it is just too much $ to keep warm. My husband has built the nakeds a cool hideout for the winter with heating pads (it's a huge headboard for our bed). They LOVE it in the winter. They will go anywhere warm
My house is cold in the winter too. Heating and cooling is really expensive and we prefer to keep it cool in the summer than keeping it warm in the winter. I like to keep it at around 65*F in the winter, which is really cold for the babies. That's why we have a portable heater to keep their room warm. But if I'm home they like to crawl under my sweater and cuddle with me lol.

stefanie412

Lairian
I have it set to 73 right now, but I tend to fiddle with it. When we are home it stays there. When we are at work it bumps up to 79 until about an hour before we get off. At night time we keep it around 75. In winter we stick with the same routine, but our house is regularly over 80 because it holds heat so well.

My boys wear shirts sometimes. 90% of the time they go naked. If they wear shirts during the day they turn into sweaty icky cats. Yuri and Nigel both run hot. About two degrees over normal for their internal temp when healthy. Don't know if that's a sphynx thing, or just for my kids. They also sleep on top of the cable box and Yuri has learned how to turn the xbox on to sleep behind it if he gets cold. We have blankets everywhere for them. Last night Nigel slept curled up in my robe in the corner of our bedroom.
I think its normal for sphynx cats to run warmer than other cats. I think it's adorable that Yuri has learned how to turn on the xbox, they're so clever.

stefanie412

Lairian
Luigi wears clothes 365 days a year. I regret starting him wearing clothes because honestly he gets a little nuts if he's "naked" now. He turns into a wilderbeast if he is shirtless. lol.

I however keep my apartment at 69 degrees all year and he has 6 heating pads all over the place which you can often find him sleeping on. Sometimes in the summer I have to keep it even colder in the bedroom because when he cuddles he's so hot I start to sweat lol.
Ha ha! I sweat too because of my babies. Isn't it funny how we sacrifice our comfort for theirs? It doesn't matter how hot I am, if they want to cuddle I let them. Or if they're comfortable but I need to pee, I'll hold it for as long as possible because I don't want to get up and disturb them lol!

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My house is only a comfortable 70 degrees in summer and we will we have a lot of shade due to trees.

The kitties however have 3 different kind of cat trees that are station in front of a large picture window. It has fleece blankets on each tier.

Winter time my babies are down right spoiled our house is 80+ at times with the wood stove. We bring in our papasan cushion and put it in front of the wood stove with soft blankets and cover it in faux fur.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.... Yup spoiled they become bums camped out there when it's roaring. They come back to life after they soak up the heat :p.

We do put clothes on if it's chilly in the morning before we have a chance to get wood stove going.
We went thru a lot of wood this past winter accommodation for them.
It's kind of funny how you can almost here them saying hop to it you peasants :LOL:. We have lost all our rights...;)

LunaandLeo

Lairian
My house is 66° at night and 68° during the day in winter.They snuggle in blankets during the day if cold and under the blankets next to me at night. During the summer my house is 72 to 74°

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I keep the temperature at 77 to sleep and 79 during the day. The cats still like to get under covers to sleep. I bought them snuggle sacks a few months ago and boy were they a hit. Oh and if there's a sunny window, that's where they go even though it's probably 100 degrees in the sun.

This is Florida so we don't have a lot of cold days, but the few days we get I let the house get to 73 during the day or 70 at night. The cats spend the whole time burrowed like it's freezing. Drama kings and queens.

Back