Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pet Fooled Documentary

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@elfedorro that feeder is WAY too expensive. :) I'm likely going to use a cardboard box with a magnetic cat flap hehe.
I'm just cautious with chicken, because so many Sphynx have allergies to it. I don't know if mine are allergic, but... I just tend to stay away from it because 6 from friends are allergic.
I've tried and tried to transition her away from kibble, she simply won't eat. She doesn't eat wet food either, just licks the sauce and leaves the rest. This is a cat who won't even eat smoked salmon and only licks the tuna. :) She doesn't touch *any* food but her kibble. I thought maybe, because the other two eat it...but no. She just sits there, watching. Not even sniffing their food. Unless it's the Soup, then all bets are off -- oh, and I did try the Chicken soup once... she turned her nose up. Will only eat the fish one.

MaoSphynx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm laughing right now as I've been debating pimping this documentary here myself. The main reason I haven't yet is because I haven't seen it yet (still trying to find a service to view from within Canada). So I'm delighted you brought it up.

I've poured over the website (Truth about Pet Food) though and my only comment is that they come down with the hammer a little hard sometimes with respect to the fact that there will always be exceptions to the hard core carnivore diet for our feline companions. I also recognize that sometimes people need to be shocked in order to change long held habits. However, there are good commercial foods out there and I'm glad the website helps point out some pet shops as resources in each State.

Personally, like you, I make most of my food from scratch so could do no less for Max when he was going to come into our household. I haven't looked back, although it was a bit harrowing at times dealing with Max's chicken allergy (took way too long for me to figure out). I also went through a lot of trial and errors about the method and recipe for making their food. Even now I'm still tinkering, but only because I'm more informed and have a goal (i.e. Min needs to gain so weight so some carbs in her diet are good right now, and Max needs some greens to make him feel full because he's a little piggie and would otherwise eat more protein than his body can deal with, which makes him a little sick on occasion).

I've so many updates for my raw food PDF, but as usual... I take forever.

Any way, so glad you brought this up.
@Xandria you can find it on sockshare(just type in pet fooled documentary watch online)

BlueJune

Lairian
My spouse and I watched this documentary and found ourselves screaming at the television, "YES! Thank you! Someone said it!"

I am a wholehearted supporter of this documentary. Steven Universe has been on a raw diet from the moment he was off his mother's milk. Everyone has their own opinions on raw vs kibble, but the corruption in the pet food industry is one platform we can all come together on. Even "good" companies are having some ugly skeletons dragged out into the lime light, so people just don't know where to turn or who to trust. Once you turn into a big business, profit comes before quality, corners are cut, and pets get sick.

Keep safe out there. TruthAboutPetFood.com is where I keep an eye on recalls and can get updated on current pet food scandals and the like.

Roki

Lairian
Watching it on Netflix right now... in case you're in the mood for a movie? So glad to see it on there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYC Andrea

Lairian
I hadn't heard of this documentary until I came across this thread. I've been back and forth with feeding my fur-less baby raw or not since she came home in December. She came to me on a raw diet which I upheld for a number of months, however, she never seemed excited about her food. I consulted our vet and heard her opinions while doing my own research and decided to wean her fully onto an organic grain free diet instead (which she loves). I absolutely understand the position of raw food diets, it just wasn't for us at this time.

Also, while I found this documentary to be interesting, enlightening and from a unique perspective, it is based on limited research. Dr. Barbara Royal is quoted as saying, "One of the biggest problems with the pet food industry is there has been very poor reasearch done into what actually is appropriate or isn't appropriate." You'd hope that at this point in time someone would have fully researched the nutritional needs of our four legged family members and composed a factual consumption list.

Back