Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pet Health Insurance

FeyAngel

Lairian
I have just spent quite a bit of time looking over old threads and trying my own research online into the confusing world of Pet Insurance. I have discovered that I am starting to run out of time--I found out last weekend that there is a 4 week old baby waiting for me--yikes!!! So, I have approximately 10 weeks to get everything in order. I think I probably want what most people want--the best coverage for the best available price. I don't want insurance that has a limit to how much they will cover for certain conditions, like a lifetime allowance only. I plan to insure my baby from day 1, so I want to make sure I go with the right choice. I have considered creating a spreadsheet of all of the different available companies out there, but right now I am a bit emotionally exhausted (I had to put my sweet baby girl Yorkie Shadow to sleep yesterday morning). Any help any of you can give would be so very much appreciated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@FeyAngel ((hugs)) my sincere condolences for your loss of your baby Shadow.. May Shadow Rest in peace and fly free and high with the angels..

I have not tried pet insurance .. I lost all my babies over the years from things excluded in coverage.. I rationalize 30 years of premiums not paid monthly .. The occasional vet bill evens out in the wash .. Instead my family has a Care Credit card for emergencies where you can use at vet or your dentist .. Over $200 = monthly payments and no interest if paid n full ..

I am so so sorry for your loss of Shadow..
{{{hugs}}}

Depokerqueen

Lairian
I have Pet Plan. There is a yearly cap which you can choose, but they don't have exclusions and they pay very quickly. I have a $200 deduct able but then everything is covered 100%. I have 2 donskoy kittens that I insured right when I got them. I lost my beautiful sphynx, Bronson in March and pet plan was awesome!!

kitten

Lairian
I also have pet plan for my Donskoy and VPI for my older pets. I do not like VPI because they determine what they will pay for each treatment, not what your Vet charges. I did some research and bought Trupanion for kittens I breed because it was only one of a few that could be transferred and covers unspayed/neutered cats and pregnancy related issues (I think they are the only one that does). They don't pay for an office visit . It's very important when making your decision to read the fine print-on what they DON't cover. You'll have to dig for that info on their sites. Trupanion requires a dental check each year for dental to be covered (they read what they cover). It is very important for vets to write down at well care visits that the cats eyes, ears, teeth, mouth etc has been checked and they are healthy. Not just "kitten appears health" as some do. There are plenty of reviews out there, but again, when you narrow it down look at ratings from customers and what they exclude. VPI is not highly rated in my opinion.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I did a search of cat insurance reviews and found an interesting chart with all kinds of plans and their standard, bronze, premium levels.. It Looked just like people insurance fine print/ careful wording..

Going to explore more!

****Just noticed some have links showing different policy details depending on your state!

Last edited:

kitten

Lairian
I did a search of cat insurance reviews and found an interesting chart with all kinds of plans and their standard, bronze, premium levels.. It Looked just like people insurance fine print/ careful wording..

Going to explore more!

****Just noticed some have links showing different policy details depending on your state!
you should list the link for the community

Trinity Taylor

Lairian
Trupanion would be your best bet for what you are looking for. You are going to be more per month than other insurances but they pay 90% after the deductible is met. They do not have "caps" on conditions. So if your total bill is $1000 at the vet and you have let's say a $250.00 deductible. You are going to get 90% of the bill paid after the $250. The lower your deductible the higher your monthly or yearly preminum will be. I personally use VPI and Care Credit. Without both of them I don't know what I would do.

FeyAngel

Lairian
Susi that looks like great information! I need to really dig into this when I get home to my computer. Thank you all for your helpful posts so far. I feel so overwhelmed right now after losing my sweet Shadow. I have a hard time focusing. :cry:

susi794

Staff member
Susi that looks like great information! I need to really dig into this when I get home to my computer. Thank you all for your helpful posts so far. I feel so overwhelmed right now after losing my sweet Shadow. I have a hard time focusing. :cry:
I totally get it...I understand how big a hole it leaves. I am thinking about getting pet insurance for Ubuntu and Kamali myself and it's all pretty confusing.

FeyAngel

Lairian
Okay, I have finally had the opportunity to review the site you linked @susi794 --it has fantastic information. However, I must admit I feel just as confused as I did before. o_O That review site seemed to think Trupanion was great as long as you plan to spay/neuter--which my little girl will come to me spayed. I still don't know. The more numbers and quotes I see the more confused I seem to become. I haven't given up, but boy do I feel like my brain has been scrambled!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Eudo has PetPlan, the 20%/80%. I chose it after doing quite a bit or research. We haven't had to use it yet, though, so I can't really give you a report. The plan does not cover preventative care, including dental cleaning. (I am doubting if HCM scans are covered... haven't checked into this yet, but soon...)

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow I got a nice surprised today - Our pet insurance company Healthy Paws covered Alfie's routine HCM scan.

I don't know if it's because HCM was diagnosed, but it was covered 80% of the $575.

I can submit the claims online too, and the lady was nice enough to say that Alfie's profile picture is adorable.

Big thumbs up for them from me.

FeyAngel

Lairian
Please keep the information and personal experiences coming--I find it all very helpful. Not to say I'm not still confused as all get-out, but I'm still trying! :)

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks a lot @susi794 - I am just counting my lucky stars it is only mild and praying it doesn't progress quickly. :)

It's a relief to know we are well covered by insurance too! We only signed up a few months prior.

MunnkieSphynx

Lairian
I was thinking about going with Healthy Paws! How do you like it?

Wow I got a nice surprised today - Our pet insurance company Healthy Paws covered Alfie's routine HCM scan.

I don't know if it's because HCM was diagnosed, but it was covered 80% of the $575.

I can submit the claims online too, and the lady was nice enough to say that Alfie's profile picture is adorable.

Big thumbs up for them from me.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MunnkieSphynx I have only had to deal with them that one time but it was a really positive experience. Their service reps are so friendly and so much of it can be done online which helps. I was happy they paid our HCM scan without any fuss :)

Back