Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pet insurance

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
Of course I'd think of this as I'm about to leave town ...

After losing my sweet girl to severe heart issues just before Christmas, I'm hoping to adopt a hairless baby either later this year or sometime next year. Because of the cost from her heart issues (more than $2,000 last year alone), it's an even bigger concern than it was for me when I was first looking to adopt a sphynx (her breeder promised to reimburse me for her purchase price - and my plan was to use that money to help with the vet bills - but is now claiming she won't ... but that's a whole different issue!)

Anyway, I'm looking into pet insurance. On one hand, it's yet another expense; on the other, it would have been significantly less expensive than the vet bills for echos, blood work, medications, emergency vet bill (when she threw the blood clot), final expenses, etc. I've looked at a few; I've noticed that, at least for the first year, there doesn't seem to be a major difference in expense for a $100 or a $250 copay (the difference was about $90 per year more for the $100 annual copay ... given that there would be several rounds of kitten shots, a spay or neuter, a 6-month check up, possibly a preliminary HCM scan, etc. it would definitely be worth the extra $90!)

I was wondering if any other sphynx parents have looked into and/or used pet insurance? I've read from some individuals that they recommend it, while I've also read reports that say to put the money aside instead because vet bills will likely be less expensive than the insurance plans ... I've also heard that pet insurance varies by country; I'd be looking for something in the US

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Xandria, thanks for the great info!
I am just so afraid of over vaccination ( vaccines seem to be the small print in contracts )
Terriers actually after seeing some rabies vaccine reactions-

I wonder if they accept titer tests in lieu of annual vaccines?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Of course I'd think of this as I'm about to leave town ...

After losing my sweet girl to severe heart issues just before Christmas, I'm hoping to adopt a hairless baby either later this year or sometime next year. Because of the cost from her heart issues (more than $2,000 last year alone), it's an even bigger concern than it was for me when I was first looking to adopt a sphynx (her breeder promised to reimburse me for her purchase price - and my plan was to use that money to help with the vet bills - but is now claiming she won't ... but that's a whole different issue!)

Anyway, I'm looking into pet insurance. On one hand, it's yet another expense; on the other, it would have been significantly less expensive than the vet bills for echos, blood work, medications, emergency vet bill (when she threw the blood clot), final expenses, etc. I've looked at a few; I've noticed that, at least for the first year, there doesn't seem to be a major difference in expense for a $100 or a $250 copay (the difference was about $90 per year more for the $100 annual copay ... given that there would be several rounds of kitten shots, a spay or neuter, a 6-month check up, possibly a preliminary HCM scan, etc. it would definitely be worth the extra $90!)

I was wondering if any other sphynx parents have looked into and/or used pet insurance? I've read from some individuals that they recommend it, while I've also read reports that say to put the money aside instead because vet bills will likely be less expensive than the insurance plans ... I've also heard that pet insurance varies by country; I'd be looking for something in the US
I did a search here on the site for "pet insurance" - some good posts here on recommendations. :)
Search Results for Query: pet insurance | Sphynxlair

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Xandria, thanks for the great info!
I am just so afraid of over vaccination ( vaccines seem to be the small print in contracts )
Terriers actually after seeing some rabies vaccine reactions-

I wonder if they accept titer tests in lieu of annual vaccines?
We are in Canada, but I know that Trupanion is offered in both countries, and that is what Loki and Gatsby are insured under.
I did a quick search on Trupanions website about vaccination info. And I don't know if they require you to get annual vaccines. It does mention a few that cats should have, and basically says that if the animal becomes sick with a condition that was preventable through vaccination, and wasn't vaccined for it, then they wouldn't be covered for that issue.
You could always call or email and ask about their vaccine policies.

sweenz

Lairian
Hi,

I also had the same type of experience with my Mr. Biggs who passed from heart failure. I rescued a kitten Cooper the women who had him gave me a free month of insurance with Trupanion, the same insurance that Xandria has attached. My vet said they are a good company and I kept the insurance for Cooper. Just in case.

Good Luck
Joanne

nijunet

Lairian
Hi,
I have Trupanion and couldn't be happier with them. Unfortunately, I had to find out the hard way that they are great. It's been 8 months, 3 surgeries and a bit over $30,000 so far. I have never had one claim turned down and they have covered 90% so far. Hopefully, now we are at the end of the road!! Hope that helps.
Nicole