Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

pet insurance?

I'm bringing home my baby in January, and am wondering when it'd be a good idea to invest in pet insurance? I was thinking Nationwide Pet Insurance? Any recommendations on plans / when to invest?

Hello!
I can say that for me pet insurance has been 100% worth it. I recommend either Trupanion or HealthyPaws. Taj is only 14 months old and Trupanion has already payed me nearly $2000 in claims. She is scheduled for a $2500 endoscopy on the 20th and they will cover an additional $2250 for that too. HealthyPaws is cheaper per month than Trupanion for the same deductible, but they have a yearly deductible instead of a per condition deductible. That means that for cats with chronic illnesses (like Taj) HealthyPaws ends up costing more. For example since I have Trupanion I paid a one-time $250 deductible for Taj's IBD and after that 90% of any medical expenses related to that disease are covered for life. If I had HealthyPaws I would need to pay that $250 every year before the coverage kicked in. Regardless, health insurance is, in my opinion, as important to have for animals as it is for humans. I work at a veterinary hospital and I can say from experience that health insurance is often the difference between life and death for animals whose family's can't afford the high cost of treatment for various conditions. Whatever you decide just keep in mind that a single ER visit for a major illness or injury can cost $2500-$15000. For chronic illnesses the bills climb even higher. Diabetes, for example, can cost $50,000 over the lifetime of a pet who is diagnosed young. Please let me know if you have any other questions about pet insurance that I can answer! Also, make sure you get it immediately. Pre-existing conditions are NOT covered so if you get it the second you bring him/her home you guarantee that everything will be covered =)

Hello!
I can say that for me pet insurance has been 100% worth it. I recommend either Trupanion or HealthyPaws. Taj is only 14 months old and Trupanion has already payed me nearly $2000 in claims. She is scheduled for a $2500 endoscopy on the 20th and they will cover an additional $2250 for that too. HealthyPaws is cheaper per month than Trupanion for the same deductible, but they have a yearly deductible instead of a per condition deductible. That means that for cats with chronic illnesses (like Taj) HealthyPaws ends up costing more. For example since I have Trupanion I paid a one-time $250 deductible for Taj's IBD and after that 90% of any medical expenses related to that disease are covered for life. If I had HealthyPaws I would need to pay that $250 every year before the coverage kicked in. Regardless, health insurance is, in my opinion, as important to have for animals as it is for humans. I work at a veterinary hospital and I can say from experience that health insurance is often the difference between life and death for animals whose family's can't afford the high cost of treatment for various conditions. Whatever you decide just keep in mind that a single ER visit for a major illness or injury can cost $2500-$15000. For chronic illnesses the bills climb even higher. Diabetes, for example, can cost $50,000 over the lifetime of a pet who is diagnosed young. Please let me know if you have any other questions about pet insurance that I can answer! Also, make sure you get it immediately. Pre-existing conditions are NOT covered so if you get it the second you bring him/her home you guarantee that everything will be covered =)
Hi hun I have a question about pet insurence

I got it when I got my cat but she came with an ear infection

Does that mean if she gets one again I won’t be covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t claime as was in the waiting period but concerned I’m not covered for her ears

Which insurance do you have?
If there is a record of the ear infection occurring before the insurance coverage began I would say that it probably won't be covered. However, ear problems in cats are *usually* not a major problem. Obviously, sphynxes can be the exception to that rule, but in the six years that I've worked at a veterinary hospital I've rarely seen a cat whose ears ended up being a big, expensive issue. But the easiest way to find out for sure would be to call your insurance company up and ask them about it. A lot of these companies have 24/7 phone support and will be happy to speak with you about the particulars of your plan.

It’s not that I’m trying to cover her for this one

I’m more concerned that it’s not just an ear infection that in polyups
And if that’s the case would o be covered

She came with me with a clean bill of health but actually had an ear infection from a skin allergy
But we hadn’t managed to get her well yet as she was allergic to medication due to a ripped ear drum!
It’s cost over 1000 in vets fees

I want to know if anything happens after this point my cat will be covered
Or what’s the point having insurence ?

If the ear infection was definitely unrelated to the polyps than the polyps would be covered. But it will depend on what insurance company you have and whether or not they feel that the infection was a precursor to a more serious illness. Without knowing what insurance it is and seeing her records I can't say for sure. I would definitely give the company a call to check with them. Either way good luck with her and I hope she continues to feel better.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have Healthy Paws and love it. They even reimbursed for acupuncture when my girl was having a bad flare of her feline hyperesthesia.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Per insurance is a must in my mind we have had Orpheus covered since we picked him up, luckily my breeder has kittens come home with 6weeks of pet insurance that you can then choose to extend it into a full policy or not.
I'm with Petplan (in Australia not sure what it's like where you are) and they are very good with coverage and have been lovely to deal with so far. We had some blood tests etc covered when Orpheus was about 4 months and no battle about covering.

I’m in oz
Have just cancelled my insurence

Not sure what to do next to be honest

Just want my cat to be insured if she has any issues with her ears

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definitely think it would be worth discussing with both the vet and different companies about the cause of the potential problem and what could be insured and what won't. Some companies are better than others to what is considered a pre existing condition etc.
And like said before if you can have a vet say that they don't think the polyps are connect to the previous issue they should be covered.

M
If the ear infection was definitely unrelated to the polyps than the polyps would be covered. But it will depend on what insurance company you have and whether or not they feel that the infection was a precursor to a more serious illness. Without knowing what insurance it is and seeing her records I can't say for sure. I would definitely give the company a call to check with them. Either way good luck with her and I hope she continues to feel better.
Vets won’t say that as we are treating ear as if it’s an ear infection but if it doesn’t clear up could be polyups

That’s what my concern is

I’m gonna change vets regardless as these arnt being very helpful as regards to my insurence