Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pet sitters Checklist.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We are going on holiday on Thursday and have booked a professional pet sitter to stay overnight with the boys while we are gone for a week.

I am SO nervous, this will be the first time since we got the boys that neither of us have been with them overnight.

Alfie will buddy up with anyone who will smack his butt but Dippy is a very nervous and jumpy sphynx, when a new person comes in he will rocket out of the room to hide.

She was introduced to the cats a few weeks back, and it went well, she seems really nice and Dips came to sniff her after a while. She says she will send updates & pictures but I am still so worried!

Does anyone have any good experiences with pet sitters that will make me feel better? :) Any tips and advice?

alfanddips.jpg 2.jpg dip1.jpg 3.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We love our pet sitter! The cats are very happy and comfortable. I know ours would not do well if we boarded. Our sitter has a formal log she uses and writes down what each cat did during her visit and then a checklist of things they need to do while there. I wish I had saved some of the logs. You can make up your own if you want and they can fill it in daily while they are staying there. It is awesome they are staying overnight!

Be sure to share vet's phone number/location
Your cell phone number
Have a pet carrier out just in case of an emergency
List their favorite hiding places should the sitter not
see them when they visit
List meds if any and when to administer
How much food wet/dry
Water
Favorite snacks
Favorite toys
Lights off upon leaving or lights to be left on
Blinds up or down
Clean litter
Collect Mail
Treats yes or no

You can aways ask sitter to email you a picture of the log daily so you can read up and be less stressed.

Hope that helps...it will be fine. Enjoy!

patti

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Thanks Patti! Those are great tips. I am planning on writing a doc for them with things like this, including some feeding guide with photos as we have the fussiest cats ever! I hope that our pet sitter turns out to be as great as yours :)

@GizmosMommy Thanks! We are going to Alaska, hopefully pet sitter works out well so we don't worry so much about going on vacation from now on.

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your being the typical sphynx mom. Have a great time on your holiday. Sounds like you have found a good setter, so enjoy. Think of all the extra loving your going to get when you get back.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow had a great suggestion of a log and email is great maybe you can skype also.
Good luck
Have fun
How long are alf & dip going to have to miss you?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Great stuff here, thanks @Catzzzmeow - I have made this post a sticky, this question has been asked many times. I will also add:

Be sure to share vet's phone number/location - alternative emergency vet phone/ location.
Your cell phone number - and a relative or friends phone number that is familiar with your home and pets.
see them when they visit
How much food wet/dry - if the rule -NO table food or people food - snacks.
Water
Favorite snacks
Favorite toys
Lights off upon leaving or lights to be left on - CHECK all doors and windows before leaving the home, be sure screen is in window.
Blinds up or down
Clean litter
Collect Mail
Treats yes or no

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If the sitter is willing, maybe she could call you at the end of each day and at least leave a message saying that all is well. I found this very comforting when I left Ickus, and I do this when I catsit for a friend. (Eudo, as well, has not spent a night by himself yet, so I TOTALLY understand your concern). It's great that the sitter will actually be staying overnight with them. They'll really appreciate that (as opposed to just short visits). Ickus loved this one sitter so much (a student who ended up spending long hours here studying) that he would wait at the door for her after we were already home!

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've had cats a long time but my Sphynxes are way more interested in getting outside than any cat I had before. I don't know if yours are the same way but if so, I would just emphasize how important it is to eyeball the cats as she's heading out the door to make sure they didn't sneak out between her legs. Because mine have done it LOL.

We love our pet sitter! The cats are very happy and comfortable. I know ours would not do well if we boarded. Our sitter has a formal log she uses and writes down what each cat did during her visit and then a checklist of things they need to do while there. I wish I had saved some of the logs. You can make up your own if you want and they can fill it in daily while they are staying there. It is awesome they are staying overnight!

Your cell phone number
see them when they visit
How much food wet/dry
Water
Favorite snacks
Favorite toys
Blinds up or down
Clean litter
Collect Mail
Treats yes or no

You can aways ask sitter to email you a picture of the log daily so you can read up and be less stressed.

patti
I always have a folder that has all Sassy's shots records and vet numbers in one place for whoever is watching her. :) Great list Patti!!

Your cell phone number
see them when they visit
How much food wet/dry
Water
Favorite snacks
Favorite toys
Blinds up or down
Clean litter
Collect Mail
Treats yes or no

patti
I always have a folder that has all Sassy's shots records and vet numbers in one place for whoever is watching her. :) Great list Patti!!