Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pete - Possible Feline Herpes or Asthma

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi,

Im being a big baby about this so bare with me.

Yesterday morning Pete had a massive coughing/wheezing/gasping for air attack. In the past few weeks
he had 2 similar things happen but it was no where near as severe as what occurred yesterday.
Also a few weeks ago he had gotten into some hair elastics from a visitor we had over so when the coughing
spell happened the first time I figured he may have been trying to puke up another hair elastic.

Anyways fast forward back to this past weekend, Friday he had a runny eye (was just water) - only happened once but then I also noticed this weekend he wasn't diving into his wet food like he normally does.

I took Pete into the vet yesterday and they did a few x-rays and they found a few "donuts" near his lungs now the vet isnt 100% sure but she thinks Pete has asthma but wants a second opinion as she said asthma with the Sphynx breed can be hard just due to the inhalers but also hasnt ruled out feline herpes.

However Pete doesnt seem to have any immediate symptoms of feline herpes and he has been getting L-Lysine every day for the past 6 months and for now my vet told me to double his dose until we get things figured out.

We will get the final results most likely today. Im freaking out as I dont know a whole lot about either issue but im super scared about Pete having asthma and need an inhaler and how he will take to it and react. What happens if he has an asthma attack when im not home? The vet said the inhalers can be hard on the Sphynx breed - is this going to cause respiratory problems from the ingredients that are in the inhaler?

What can I do to prevent asthma attacks from happening?? We only have carpet in two bedrooms in our place, we keep our place very clean. We dont smoke and when we have visitors they smoke out side.
Pete is currently using Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal litter.

Any links to information on both would be greatly appreciated.
gah im a wreck, have been up since 4am giving Pete nothing but cuddles.

Aside from getting a thermometer up his butt and getting x-rays he seems to be in good spirits..but cant say the same for myself.

Thanks everyone.

-Mallory

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mallory , I don't have experience with sphyn asthma but wamted to chime in with positve vibes amd exhaling thoughts.

I would video tape his coughing and show the vet - amd ask to rule out allergies / reverse sneezing ?
A few moths ago I was worried sick - video tused mpmy boy amd Gould it was seasonal allergies
Amd a $3 over the counter Walmart pill recommended by my vet did the trick
also using now scented litter de elseys in blue bag

all paws crossed paws for Pete amd big hug to you!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Mal sending a big hug to you and healing vibes to Pete.
I don't have experience with asthma with cats so can't give any advice. I know more member need to use an inhaler for their sphynx and their sphynxes do well on it. @Zab uses the inhaler for one of her sphynxes. Hopefully she can chime in to give advice.

I do know something about asthma with humans: there is the "regular ashtma attaques". When you get meds and a inhaler most of the time the attaques will disappaer. And you have "allergic asthma". I had this for years and needed to figure out what I was allergic to so I could take the meds and inhaler when necessary. Don't know if this works the same for cats. If so, I think it's important to let the vet check what kind of asthma Pete has.

And you're not a big baby about this. You're concerned about Pete like we would all be.

Natasja

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom Thanks! Sorry I forgot to mention in my original post that I was able to video tape the tale end of his cough attack - vet didnt think it could be reverse sneezing. Allergies were mentioned but she had given a few reasons as to why it wouldnt be allergies - sorry I cant recall all that she said - but I think I will inquire about allergies again just to be on the safe side!!!!!

@Toa and Ross Thanks, I will for sure ask about the two types of asthma and see where exactly Pete falls into.

Thanks again, patiently waiting for more members to chime in.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi
I've just started with the inhaler for my princess Fisen. We've been at it for about 10 days and it works. I've introduced the inhaler with a mask gently and tried to have a positive vibe. It took about 3 days and then it was a piece of cake. We use it twice a day now. Fisen had similar donuts on her x-rays and was coughing strangely. After we started with the inhaler I've only seen her cough twice, so I'm guessing it works. We have an apointment to the vet in about a week for follow ups, I can't say more at this time. I do have a friend who owns a cat that has chronical asthma and still doesn't need the inhaler daily, just when there's symtoms. I'm here to help and answer your questions best I can, don't hesitate to ask! Don't worry, yet...
/Zab

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Zab Thanks so much for chiming in.

What kind of inhaler is he on? Are the ingredients safe for the cat?

Sorry if thats a really stupid question but my vet yesterday said she didnt want to call it/diagnose him with Asthma until we get the second opinion because she said the inhalers are rough on the sphynx breed =( so I am not exactly sure what she meant by that but she made it sound as if the inhalers will be hard on his respiratory system so im just a ball of nerves with a million questions.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab Thanks so much for chiming in.

What kind of inhaler is he on? Are the ingredients safe for the cat?

Sorry if thats a really stupid question but my vet yesterday said she didnt want to call it/diagnose him with Asthma until we get the second opinion because she said the inhalers are rough on the sphynx breed =( so I am not exactly sure what she meant by that but she made it sound as if the inhalers will be hard on his respiratory system so im just a ball of nerves with a million questions.

No, don't apologize, there are no stupid questions! I'm new to this too. We got a prescription for Flutide evohaler and a mask. It's some sort of cortisone. I've been trying to read about it too and all I've found is that it can cause weight gain and possibly diabetes (propably from long time use and the wight gaining...). I'm going to talk to my vet about this next week and try to be a pain in the ass cat owner who asks all the stupid questions ;-)
My girl Fisen was diagnosed with bronchitis and I get to see the x-rays and the donuts.... My vet said not to worry, that we came early and the prognosis is good. She also gave me the option to get pills instead but said that the inhaler was better and that the medication went straight to the place it should. I'll dig more on this next week at the follow up. Please keep me updated as well, maybe we can learn from each other... Good luck!
theoastma5-e1322079808243-764x1024.jpg

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Zab Thank you! This gives me a better understanding of whats to come possibly.
I will hear from the vet tomorrow so I will
keep everyone updated!

Thanks again everyone :)

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
UPDATE:

The vet got in touch with me this morning and the second opinion is indeed mild asthma BUT they want me to monitor Pete closely just IN CASE its a bacterial infection they just want that ruled out 100%.

Pete and I have his follow up appointment next Thursday to be shown how to use the inhaler/chamber.

@Zab - Wondering about your inhaler, my vet says I will get a prescription that I just take to a normal pharmacy, is that
what you had to do?
Is your inhaler ingredients pet grade or human grade?
Sorry I am just confused how a person can go to a normal pharmacy to get an inhaler for a pet :S
I might PM you and ask some more questions if you dont mind.

As for Pete he was in much better spirits last night and this morning. I think he knew I was worried about him because he was extra extra cuddly all night so I really appreciated that.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Mal thanks for the update. Sorry to hear Pete has indeed mild asthma. Hopefully you can get it under control with the inhaler. Good luck at the vet tomorrow.

Sending positive vibes and a big hug.

Natasja

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Mal Just so you know, G&E Pharmacy is also a pet pharmacy :)
We had to get animal meds there one time for our greyhound. They deal a lot with livestock and horse medications as well.

Sending lots of hugs to dear Pete <3

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Mal Just so you know, G&E Pharmacy is also a pet pharmacy :)
We had to get animal meds there one time for our greyhound. They deal a lot with livestock and horse medications as well.

Sending lots of hugs to dear Pete <3

THANKS! Good call! Well maybe if they happen to carry the chamber (waiting on a reply from G & E and the vet) then maybe I can get the prescription and the chamber there in one place.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
UPDATE:

The vet got in touch with me this morning and the second opinion is indeed mild asthma BUT they want me to monitor Pete closely just IN CASE its a bacterial infection they just want that ruled out 100%.

Pete and I have his follow up appointment next Thursday to be shown how to use the inhaler/chamber.

@Zab - Wondering about your inhaler, my vet says I will get a prescription that I just take to a normal pharmacy, is that
what you had to do?
Is your inhaler ingredients pet grade or human grade?
Sorry I am just confused how a person can go to a normal pharmacy to get an inhaler for a pet :S
I might PM you and ask some more questions if you dont mind.

As for Pete he was in much better spirits last night and this morning. I think he knew I was worried about him because he was extra extra cuddly all night so I really appreciated that.

Hi,
Here in Sweden where we live it works like this;
I went to the vet, got the cat diagnosed. The aerocat mask I had to buy from the vet. They usually have some stuff at the vets office. The inhaler was on a prescription in my name as the owner of the cat. I went to the pharmacy and got the inhaler. I've had prescriptions for my cats before like this and sometimes it's the same medication for pets as it is for humans. It sounded strange for me as well the first time... A friend of mine has the exact same inhaler for her son who has asthma. What I am going to ask the vet about is why we didn't get a prescription for Ventolin evohaler. My friend who has a cat with asthma uses the Ventolin for acute asthma to open up the throat and about 30 min later she gives the cat cortisone inhaler.
Be glad you went to the vet early, I got some stories from my vet that was heartbreaking to hear. Maybe she wanted to lift my spirits since I felt like the worst pet owner in the world...but I've seen big changes in my girl Fisen during this last week so I'm very hopeful! Feel free to PM if you want, you know how to find me!
So good to hear Pete is doing better, sending some healing vibes your way!
/Zab

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How does your cat handle using the aerocat mask / getting the medicine administered to Fisen?

Did you need to switch your cat litter?

There are a few things around my home I will be removing (Scentsy, air fresheners etc) but im just wondering if I should look into switching Petes litter although he does not seem to have an issue with it and we currently use the Arm & Hammer clump n' seal which
isnt dusty but wondering if switching to yesterday news or something would be beneficial although I am not a fan of the pellet type litter but its not about me haha, its all about Pete!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How does your cat handle using the aerocat mask / getting the medicine administered to Fisen?

Did you need to switch your cat litter?

There are a few things around my home I will be removing (Scentsy, air fresheners etc) but im just wondering if I should look into switching Petes litter although he does not seem to have an issue with it and we currently use the Arm & Hammer clump n' seal which
isnt dusty but wondering if switching to yesterday news or something would be beneficial although I am not a fan of the pellet type litter but its not about me haha, its all about Pete!

The vet showed me how to use the mask. We did it slowly. I rolled Fisen up in a blanket and then I sprayed twice in to the mask and put the mask to her mouth. In the mask there is a little flap that moves when the cat breathes so it's easy to count. At first i put a hand on her side to count. I talked to her the whole time in a soothing voice and petted her lots. After about 3 times it was cake! Not difficult at all. I think the best thing is to remain calm and positive, I believe the cat can feel that.
I have no plants or air freshners indoors so that's no problem. I haven't yet talked about all these details with the vet, but next week....
We already use pellets in the litterbox and it's the best thing ever. I'm glad both my cats accepted it easily. We got tired of having litter in our bed...Ossi our male sphynx is a crazy digger when he goes number 2 so he was sneezing all the time so that's the reason we took a week during summer vacation and slowly changed from litter to pellets.
/Zab

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well you are giving me some well needed confidence for Pete as I can forsee trying to administer the inhaler will be a bit tricky but I will take your advice and try it that way!

What brand of litter do you use?

I will also be asking my vet a million questions next week as well! I have already started typing them out haha because I foresee
myself having alot!

Thanks again!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well you are giving me some well needed confidence for Pete as I can forsee trying to administer the inhaler will be a bit tricky but I will take your advice and try it that way!

What brand of litter do you use?

I will also be asking my vet a million questions next week as well! I have already started typing them out haha because I foresee
myself having alot!

Thanks again!

I started using the Peewee pellets but soon figured out it was really expensive. So now I use regular pellets from a construction store. The ones you can burn, pure wood and no other ingredient. I get 16 kilos for about 39 SEK (about 5 Canadian dollars if I'm not mistaken). It lasts for about 4 months for my two cats. The difference is that the Peewee pellets is a little bit smaller than the one I use but the cats don't seem to mind. It took some getting used to but I'm happy with it and noone is sneezing anymore...
Please update after your visit to the vet, I'm so curious. Our appointment is on monday afternoon, I'll keep you posted!

/Zab

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi, @Mal. A friend of mine has a kitty who has bad asthma and needs the inhaler every day. It took them a few days, but soon it was routine and without issue. I suspect there are some great videos on YouTube as well to help you out. But @Zab is likely your best resource here. HUGS to you both.