Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Peterbald and Skin Allergies

Joierenee

Lairian
I recently adopted a pedigree peterbald from the shelter where it was very dirty. They said her legs are lumpy with these little white head lumps but that's how she always will be. I believed them and took her home.
When I took her to the vet, he told me he had two Sphinx cats at home and had never seen a hairless cat look like that. She started on antibiotics and steroids.
2 weeks later, she got a rash that spread to her entire body. Since so little is known about these cats and vets have never seen them before, they had no idea where to start. Ringworm? So I asked if I could give her allergy medication. 5mg of Zyrtec later, the rash had disappeared.
I am now waiting for my appointment at the dermatologist later this week.
This is likely the result of inbreeding that occurs in pedigrees. Be warned its best to breed mixed cats with different dna.
I'm sure there are others out there experiencing similar symptoms so I just wanted to put this up and let people know that it's not cancer of the skin or anything else. It's not ringworm.
It's allergies and probably the inability to digest certain proteins.
If anyone else wants to add any info, I think it would definitely help to create a bigger picture and better understanding of the breed.

Thanks!! Hope your kitties get better soon too!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Joierenee , welcome to the lair family :)
Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly group! So glad you found us :)
Thank you for opening up your heart and home to this sweetie and sharing your experiences-
Can you post a picture ? What is here name?
Soo happy she has the love and care she deserves in your arms :)
Keep us updated often

Looking forward to your journey with us !

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Joierenee hello and welcome. So glad to hear you rescued that little girl in need. Since the Zyrtec helped, keep an eye out for food allergies causing skin issues. Many seem to be allergic to chicken, so pay attention please.

Wishing you both the best and please update after the dermatologist visit.

Joierenee

Lairian
Chicken??!! Thats not good. I was told not to feed her any fish from my vet so she's been eating almost entirely chicken meals.
I've been buying the best organic grain free brands of food. Definitely not working.
Her previous vet that I contacted said she needs proteins that are easier for cats to digest. I asked what that meant and she said rabbit, duck and venison are good options. Not sure where they sell cat food with those ingredients.
Anyway, thanks for the input. We are planning to have allergy testing done next.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Chicken??!! Thats not good. I was told not to feed her any fish from my vet so she's been eating almost entirely chicken meals.
I've been buying the best organic grain free brands of food. Definitely not working.
Her previous vet that I contacted said she needs proteins that are easier for cats to digest. I asked what that meant and she said rabbit, duck and venison are good options. Not sure where they sell cat food with those ingredients.
Anyway, thanks for the input. We are planning to have allergy testing done next.

@Joierenee Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Grain Free canned cat food comes in venison & pea and duck and pea. A lot of members with sphynx food allergies are using this food now with great "skin" success.

51g8IGET2mL._AC_UL320_SR218,320_.jpg
It also comes in dry food, but always feed a cat canned food. Very important for health.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi and wwlcome. Sorry to hear about your cats issues. I had a Peterbald and he was the best cat and lived to be 15. He had very good skin but bad teeth.
I hope you get to the bottom of your kits skin issues . Will be looking for updates.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I recently adopted a pedigree peterbald from the shelter where it was very dirty. They said her legs are lumpy with these little white head lumps but that's how she always will be. I believed them and took her home.
When I took her to the vet, he told me he had two Sphinx cats at home and had never seen a hairless cat look like that. She started on antibiotics and steroids.
2 weeks later, she got a rash that spread to her entire body. Since so little is known about these cats and vets have never seen them before, they had no idea where to start. Ringworm? So I asked if I could give her allergy medication. 5mg of Zyrtec later, the rash had disappeared.
I am now waiting for my appointment at the dermatologist later this week.
This is likely the result of inbreeding that occurs in pedigrees. Be warned its best to breed mixed cats with different dna.
I'm sure there are others out there experiencing similar symptoms so I just wanted to put this up and let people know that it's not cancer of the skin or anything else. It's not ringworm.
It's allergies and probably the inability to digest certain proteins.
If anyone else wants to add any info, I think it would definitely help to create a bigger picture and better understanding of the breed.

Thanks!! Hope your kitties get better soon too!

Here is what Izmae my baby went through.
I think this will help you. Here is the link
Izmae's allergies journey

Joierenee

Lairian
Update: We went to the dermatologist today. She said that Poof may have an autoimmune disease that's common in hairless cats that causes her to have chronic hives all over her body.
However, it might still be food allergies.
In the mean time, her skin is infected from scratching. The infection is resistant to the antibiotics she was taking so we had to have a sample sent out to the lab for them to figure out which antibiotic will be the best treatment option for her.
My poor baby! I felt so bad for her I cried in the vets office. They told me she isn't pain and the worst she feels is the itching. She acts normal and happy and is doing well eating the hydrolyzed protein hypoallergenic diet.
I'll update once more once she gets her antibiotics and hopefully recovers!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awhhh, poor sweetie! <3 <3
Sending many hugs and healing vibes your way. I hope they can get to the bottom of it.
Please keep us updated and we will be thikning of you!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
sending lots of healing vibes to Poof and a big hug to you. It's always so difficult to hear something not so good about the health of our cats. Hope the meds will help soon!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Update: We went to the dermatologist today. She said that Poof may have an autoimmune disease that's common in hairless cats that causes her to have chronic hives all over her body.
However, it might still be food allergies.
In the mean time, her skin is infected from scratching. The infection is resistant to the antibiotics she was taking so we had to have a sample sent out to the lab for them to figure out which antibiotic will be the best treatment option for her.
My poor baby! I felt so bad for her I cried in the vets office. They told me she isn't pain and the worst she feels is the itching. She acts normal and happy and is doing well eating the hydrolyzed protein hypoallergenic diet.
I'll update once more once she gets her antibiotics and hopefully recovers!

@Joierenee which antibiotic was she on, by the way? I replied to your other thread, but forgot to ask you that question. I explained about Convenia.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hope you can get to the bottom on Poof's issues. I know it can be frustrating not being able to make her feel better straight away. Wishing you both the best.
One way I was able to afford some special care for a couple of my animals was to apply for a care credit card. Some veterinarians accept it and I use it to pay for my glasses and used it for dental work also. I know special care gets expensive.

Nigelthomas

Lairian

@Joierenee Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Grain Free canned cat food comes in venison & pea and duck and pea. A lot of members with sphynx food allergies are using this food now with great "skin" success.

51g8IGET2mL._AC_UL320_SR218,320_.jpg
It also comes in dry food, but always feed a cat canned food. Very important for health.
why is wet food very important ???? I only feed dry

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Nigelthomas Wet contains more water which helps prevent kidney issues, crystals and overall urinary issues by helping to promote flushing their system. Kidney/urinary issues can become fatal quickly, especially in male cats if it is not caught quickly. If cats hate wet, they recommend trying water fountains to promote more hydration, or adding wet to dry if they will tolerate it.

Patti

Nigelthomas

Lairian
@Nigelthomas Wet contains more water which helps prevent kidney issues, crystals and overall urinary issues by helping to promote flushing their system. Kidney/urinary issues can become fatal quickly, especially in male cats if it is not caught quickly. If cats hate wet, they recommend trying water fountains to promote more hydration, or adding wet to dry if they will tolerate it.

Patti
Nigel drinks though but I'll consider it when I figure out this stupid rash issue. Or maybe they are hives. Once I have that sorted out then I'll add the wet into his diet. Just right now I want to figure out what is causing the rash.

Joierenee

Lairian
I find that the best food is almo. It is the only cat food I've seen that has ONE ingredient- sometimes two.
If the flavor is chicken, the only ingredient is chicken. If it's tuna, it's just tuna. With water of course. Nothing else!!

Then of course a dry food that includes all nutrients and other things cats need.

Attachments

• IMG_6901.JPG
    IMG_6901.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 23

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
why is wet food very important ???? I only feed dry

@Nigelthomas dry food alone for a cat is very unhealthy especially when they don't drink a lot of water. My son almost lost his cat a few years ago because he was only feeding him dry. Thankfully now he's doing fine and eating wet food with added water as well as dry.

Nigelthomas

Lairian

@Nigelthomas dry food alone for a cat is very unhealthy especially when they don't drink a lot of water. My son almost lost his cat a few years ago because he was only feeding him dry. Thankfully now he's doing fine and eating wet food with added water as well as dry.
Def something that I'm going to look into once I make sure this is the right food for him.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Joierenee ,:) they sell almo nature here and I was told just as you mentioned -
Use with a kibble with all the essential vitamins etc

Store owner said it was made in USA
But reading the label it says distributed in USA
I think it's made in Thailand where popular tiki cat and soulistic cat food is also made -
Not sure if made at the same plant?

Almo Nature / Cat - Free Shipping at Chewy.com

I was told it was a good supplemental simple ingredient food
Almo Nature’s nutritional advice for cats - Almo Nature

Please keep us updated :)
Head smooches sent

Last edited:

Nigelthomas

Lairian
guys I bought Vetericyn VF spray the gel one ... I finally found a place that will ship to Canada ... it cost me about 100.00 but from what all of you say I hope its going to be worth every penny .... cant wait to see if it helps

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Nigelthomas oh my goodness, $100.00?!?! That's terrible that you had to pay so much money for it. You are a wonderful sphynx parent and this product is great to keep on hand for boo boos. Depending on where the boo boo is, I usually put it on a cotton ball, but it can be sprayed directly on boo boos. The gel one is nice and thick and stays put. I have both types.

Nigelthomas

Lairian
@Nigelthomas oh my goodness, $100.00?!?! That's terrible that you had to pay so much money for it. You are a wonderful sphynx parent and this product is great to keep on hand for boo boos. Depending on where the boo boo is, I usually put it on a cotton ball, but it can be sprayed directly on boo boos. The gel one is nice and thick and stays put. I have both types.
I also bought the hylyt shampoo and the other one that's the soothing one that starts with a .. aylyt or something. Those also cost me about 150. But I will do whatever. I think I'm an idiot and figured out my mistake. I have tide pods I started using. And like an idiot didn't think. I rewashed all his stuff twice. Only soap and a tiny bit. I'm so angry at myself. I'm also not sure that's it. It could still be the food. His poos aren't as formed as they were before. And I assume cats should have a nice solid poo like he did before on his other food. Man this stupid rash is driving me crazy!!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Nigelthomas awww, I'm sorry you are beating yourself up, but enough, you are a wonderful sphynx parent doing everything possible. Everything will get figured out hopefully sooner than later.

You bought wonderful products. Yes, that soothing oatmeal and aloe shampoo which I love ... AvenaLyt. I even use a bit of it on a washcloth for mani/pedi day. I wash their feet first, then wash their nails and under the folds. When all clean...I cut nails.

It certainly can be a food issue. But in the meantime, the products you just spent a fortune on are great and won't make matters worse. Don't shampoo often and when you do, rinse over and over and over. Those two shampoos happen to rinse very easily compared to a few others I've tried, but they do stay cleaner longer and have less skin issues when you rinse very well.

Back